“Continued Improvements and a Realistic View [Between Average and Very Good]”
Review of Monticello Hotel

Monticello Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Longview B&B and Inns
Pacific Northwest
“Continued Improvements and a Realistic View [Between Average and Very Good]”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have been staying at the Monticello on a fairly regular basis (for business) over close to ten years. I have always noted how the facade of the hotel and the interior of the lobby exemplify what is both interesting and sad about Longview: this is a great town that is down on its luck relative to its historical standing. You can see signs of what Longview once was, but also clear instances of what Longview still tries to be.

The Monticello has, over the years, gone steadily from bad to better. My first stay was a disaster. Old rooms, poor customer service, bad house-keeping, and a laundry list of other issues (including a situation involving false eyelashes stuck to the bedside lamp). But each and every year something has improved. New locks on the doors, better furnishings. A more attentive front desk staff. And so on. These aren't sweeping changes. But they are consistently undertaken as and when, I must assume, the owners can afford to undertake them. The Monticello is _of_ Longview. And, like Longview, it tries to do what it can with what it has. As a fan of Red Lion properties, I would still pick the Monticello over the Kelso Red Lion if I had to choose. Why? It is unique and quirky whereas the Red Lion is almost always consistent regardless of the town you are in. Why? Historical properties with a sense of place always lure me back if I have a chance to stay at them.

I can't comment on problems with billing, though I would be peeved if things are as several of the other postings suggest. I also can't comment on staying in the main building (though I might ask about the location of my room relative to other services if I am getting up early and/or traveling with a small child). I haven't eaten there or had drinks in their bar. So I will make a few additional observations relative to my own experiences.

First, Ed R is needs a lesson in term usage as his own review is also (somewhat) 'constructively bogus' (is that supposed to be a form of legalese?). The website visually highlights the most notable part of the hotel along the top of the main page of the website (one of several pictures, mind you). It then provides, in several different locations on the site, a clear explanation regarding the types of accommodations (long-term, suite, motel, etc.) and services (office space, etc.) that it provides.

But 'relaxedocd' is close to spot-on as regards the current state of the ongoing renovations that have been/are being made to the motel rooms. Most (not all) of the rooms have swapped out the old bulky tubs and institutional fixtures for nicely (and, yes, brown) tiled walk-in showers with matching flooring that extends along the bathroom walls and into the entryway of the room. The renovated bathrooms also include better lighting, as well as exhaust and heating fans. Most of the rooms (not all) have flat screen TVs and relatively new carpets and furnishings. Note I stress most: several rooms still have the old bathrooms and the old TVs. The toiletries are still standard roadside fare (which looks out of place in the new bathrooms), the towels are still good (but not great), and the sheets remain rather thin and worn. But the rooms have fridges and microwaves, are bigger than most contemporary rooms, feature new and more sound-proof windows, and free internet. The hotel is also located in a central location in town (close to the campus, the hospital, food and grocery options, Nutty Narrows, etc.).

If you read a review that is older than mid-2012, and are ready to base your decision on the quality of the rooms (most, not all, again), you will likely be making a decision on out-of-date information. If you make a decision without considering the fact that this hotel is in Longview, you aren't really making an informed decision. At a price point slightly below $100, with additional discounts available for various memberships, the motel is a good option relative to other choices in the Longview area.

[Sidebar: I again have to suggest that Tripadvisor needs to implement a "good" rating between "very good" and "average" if they want to develop more realistic reviews.]

Room Tip: Ask before you stay: some rooms are noisier than others (park roundabout vs. residential, first floo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank ScottCanning

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Granite falls
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

What a disappointment this stay was! We got in Friday evening after traveling 6 hours (with a baby) to discover that a live band plays until 1am... This was so loud it sent vibrations through to our room - which was the Parkview suite. We needed to be up at 5am and needless to say, we got NO sleep. Upon checkout the receptionist charged us $210 a night... When we were originally told $139 and would not even look at finding out why it was so high. The room was NOT worth what they charged us, not even close! It was dirty; stained, crunchy shag carpet, horrible beds and outdated dingy furniture. Will not recommend thus hotel or stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
33 Thank mariansteagall

Travelers are raving about these Longview hotels

Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My boyfriend saw the sign by the motel part that said "recently renovated." It is a flat 60's style motel next to the old brick Monticello hotel (1920's). Because it was obviously freshly redone, it was just fine. Just very....brown. We were in the two-story section. The bathroom was very nice, stone tile. Flat screen tv. I think 32 inch sony. New windows, they opened. We needed something next to the college baseball field and this was 2 blocks away so it was fine for one night. No ambiance if you're looking for that. My boyfriend switched our reservation from Red Lion to here because he said the Red Lion room he looked at smelled musty and had a tube tv.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of the motel overlook the park across the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank relaxedocd
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great looking old hotel. Unfortunately, the classic hotel is not used for obernight stays - that is handled by a motel next door. So the photo of the old hotel is constructively bogus marketing. Just saying.

The motel rooms are freshly remodeled but lack sound-proofing.

The front desk was helpful as i had reserved for the wrong day. My errror was quickly corrected.

However, the room rate was increaaed by over 20% without notice to me until i checked in.

Summary - friendly service at the front desk, bogus marketing, room rates in upward flux. You decide.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank Ed R
Eugene, OR
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed on night for a short conference. Meeting facility was quite adequate, and the food for four meals was very good. My room was in the annex and the room showed its age. The room seemed to be clean; one small gripe was that the bathroom had no exhaust fan. The major gripe was the shower...the tub did not drain, and the hot water lasted about two minutes, then got COLD! Not a good way to start your day. The site worked well for the conference, but I would find a room elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DalCla77
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed March 1, 2011

The folks at the hotel were certainly very nice, but they had a bit to make up for.

The main, old hotel is now offices and apartments, though they have three extended stay suites in the hotel building. If you are getting a hotel room, you are really staying next door in the motel. The motel is partially two stories, with the ceilings very high for the few second floor rooms.

Longview is a paper mill town; the paper making process does not smell good. The rooms, also, do not smell good, but I am not certain that is cause and effect. The rooms are showing their age - with burns in the carpet and the like. The hotel owners are trying to make the rooms as nice as possible, I suppose, with what appears to be new bed spreads, but that is inadequate.

You can see a photo of the shower. In addition to the mold, the tub didn't drain, so that after my husband showered I had to stand in a tub full of dirty water in order to take my shower.

The windows are single pane, so the condensation was unbelievable - I tried to wipe the window with a towel and the towel came away sopping wet, there was so much moisture. The mullion bars were so dirty that black soot came off on the towel. (Though our car was also quite covered in black soot when we returned it to the rental agency, so perhaps that is a residual from the chemical and paper industries in town.)

The mattresses were ghastly - don't count on a good night sleep. If you sat in the middle of the bed, the mattress went up around you like wings. Awful.

There is a restaurant in the hotel. It was fine for breakfast.

The hotel is on a square which is quite nice. It was too cold to walk, but it might have been nice to take a stroll around the square and the nearby lake.

I had looked on TripAdvisor and found other hotels which I would have prefered to stay, but my friend said this was "the hotel in town", so I picked it. He agreed, next time another hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank Alexandra7457
Claremont, California
Reviewed February 24, 2011

The hotel looked charming on the internet and we booked a three nights stay while we visited my husbands family in Longview. The room itself was extremely run down and did not even have a deadbolt on the door. Our first night there we returned from dinner to find the flimsy chain on our hotel room door and two people inside. The man finally let us into OUR OWN room and said that he was given our room upon checking in. We asked them if the fact that our clothing and items in the room were a hint that the room was occupied. He stated they were meeting a family member and assumed the items belonged to them. Fortunately nothing was stolen, but we checked out and went to Quality Inn. Quality Inn is The Ritz compared to this hotel. When my husband complained to the staff at the Monticello about strangers in our room they were not apologetic all at. Quality Inn was very clean, has deadbolts on the door and a nice contiental breakfast too!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
33 Thank kimberlyd11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longview
Quality Inn & Suites
Town House Motel
Town House Motel
#4 of 8 in Longview
GuestHouse Inn & Suites Kelso/Longview

Been to Monticello Hotel? Share your experiences!