“How about breakfast in a Bed and Breakfast?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rutherglen Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Longview
Rutherglen Mansion
Ranked #1 of 4 Longview B&B and Inns
Peachland, Canada
“How about breakfast in a Bed and Breakfast?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

We four were the only guests so had the large empty house to ourselves. The host disappeared after greeting us. It was like 'The Shining'- a large old house with locked doors, squeaky floors, empty kitchen, a third floor with pews set up. We asked for breakfast for 7:30 am as we had a long drive the next day. At 7:30 no one had arrived at the house so we had to leave with no breakfast! The TV in our room did not work and there were several lamps that were decorative only as there were no plugs near them. Several of the wall lamps did not work.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jean M

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kalama, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We enjoyed the wine, the food, the service, and the view. What else could you ask for. It was one of the finest dinning experience that we have ever had. Can not wait to go to a Wednesday wine tasting. WOW!!!

Room Tip: Only four rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pigfart
St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We just spent the evening at Rutherglen Mansion because the photo looked so promising, but we should have headed the Trio Advisor negative reviews. Although the owner, Rueben, made every effort to be accommodating , the Mansion is way past its prime. We were traveling with friends and took 2 rooms. They were spacious, but worn and poorly maintained. The sheets on our bed appeared laundered, but there were blood stains on the outside edge. In addition, there was no gourmet breakfast served as expected in a bed and breakfast, just some fruit and cheese and link sausages. We were the only two rooms occupied and I can see why. I hate to give negative reviews, but I just want to advise other travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank GinnyandRon

Travelers are raving about these Longview hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

My 9-year-old daughter and I came up from Portland to the Rutherglen for one night. We loved it!

The beds were nice and comfy, so we got a good night's rest. Rueben greeted us at our table and made lively conversation with us. We wanted to talk to him some more!

The staff was wonderful (thank you April) and dinner was one delightful surprise after another -- the crab cakes came with an orange that was hand-carved into the shape of a bear! Dessert was wonderful -- my daughter said it was the best dessert she had ever had.

Our room was spacious and had a great view of Longview. Rueben and April invited us to explore the mansion, as we did -- It made us wonder about all the secrets that were hidden in the beautiful mansion -- it was once a girls' home, and once a nursing home, and also a family home for the Tennants. I can only imagine the conversations and events that took place in this house.

That said, this place is not for everyone. If you like modern, predictable, cookie-cutter rooms, you might find this place a little quirky for your taste. Not everything works here, and there are missing doorknobs, lightbulbs, etc. Another reviewer found these quirks to take away from his experience; we just took it as a sign that we were someplace historical and different.

Overall, we had a wonderful time. What a pleasant surprise. Unforgettable stay; we will be back!

Room Tip: Some have fireplaces; some have views. Depends on what you like.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jennifer S
Vancouver, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

Every year for my birthday dinner choice I choose the Mansion. Reuben (the 85 year old owner) is always there to meet and greet and I always feel like I have the run of the place. We're always allowed to tour around the place and the food and service are always impeccable! My boyfriend and I are taking my friend and her husband there tonight for her birthday dinner and I cannot wait! We drive all the way from Vancouver just to go there even though Portland is minutes from our place of residents. I just read the history on it and I see Reuben put in a wine cellar. I'm hoping he will let us tour it tonight I haven't seen it yet. I highly recommend The Rutherglen Mansion for any special occasion! See you tonight Reuben!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Darcie O
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

As a kid growing up in the area, I had always dreamed of what this mansion was like inside. Some 40 years later I learned that it had become a bed and breakfast. So I made a reservation to visit the old mansion. Unfortunately, what was my childhood dream became a huge disappointment. While the service staff tried hard, the old mansion was in disrepair; frankly, the only thing that worked was the lock on the door. Everything else: the TV, the air conditioner, the windows and even the tub and shower didn't work. Our meal was poorly prepared and served in an upstairs banquet room with stained carpets and table cloths. This old place needs lots of TLC. It was a very sad experience. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank BearyR
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed at this bed and breakfast for one night and loved it so much we extended it by another night. We checked in late and was greeted by Reuben, the owner of the mansion. He lives across the driveway from the mansion. For more history in the mansion, I recommend checking out their website which is Rutherglenmansion.com. Reuben was very courteous and friendly and after paying for the stay, we proceeded to go up their beautiful staircase and he allowed me to pick any room I wanted. I thought that was so nice because we could see what we were getting ahead of time. We were the only people in the mansion and Chef Joseph lived in a room down the hallway. He gave us a key to the room and asked us what time we wanted Chef Joseph to prepare breakfast, The room was very spacious and had a sofa bed where my sister slept. She said was comfortable also. The bathroom had most of the original tile from when the mansion was built which was in 1920's. Most of the fixtures looked to belong to the house although some had been updated. The king bed was comfortable and we had a nice view. I was told this was the "boy's" room back in the day due to masculine wood carvings and the tile that decorated our fireplace.
The next morning, we proceeded downstairs to dining area where we were greeted by Chef Joseph, who told us to pick whatever table we wanted. There were a lot of tables to choose because on the weekends, the mansion served brunch. On selected Wednesdays, they have wine tasting and music. We stayed on a monday and tuesday night, so we didn't have the pleasure of experiencing those events. Next, Chef Joseph asked us what we wanted for breakfast. We figured there was a menu, but there wasn't and he told me he could make us whatever he wanted. Of all the hotels and bed and breakfasts, I've stayed at, I don't think anyone has ever said something like that to me, so I didn't know how to respond. I asked him what they had to narrow down our choices and we all asked for scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns and some fruit crepes. While we waited, he brought us some fresh fruit. the breakfast came out shortly after and all we could say was it was delicious. It wasn't your ordinary breakfast...everything had a gourmet flair to it. The eggs were scrambled with some sort of garlic and spices that made it so good that my husband ate them, which says a lot because my husband doesn't care for eggs.
After enjoying our breakfast, we took sometime to explore the grounds and let our one-year-old play in the lawn area of the mansion overlooking Longview. The view included part of the industrial area of Longview, but it really didn't matter with how beautiful everything else was. This prompted us to extend our stay for another night and Reuben was nice enough to accomodate us.
I recommend this place to anyone who likes historical and quiet places to stay. This isn't for anyone who wants modern furnishings and to be in the hustle and bustle of things. Reuben and his staff are as warm as his mansion. Don't miss this hidden treasure if you're visiting the Longview area of Washington!

Room Tip: Speak to Reuben:)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank eugenefranklin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longview
Quality Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Kelso
Town House Motel
Town House Motel
#4 of 8 in Longview

Been to Rutherglen Mansion? Share your experiences!