“the right way to handle things”

Masthead Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 131 Restaurants in Longview
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The food was average, the batter on their famous fish and chips thicker than the cod inside, but they need to learn a little something about customer service.

We ordered a marionberry cobbler to share, and my first bite revealed a moldy berry, my husband said his side tasted fine and kept eating until he hit one as well.

We told the waitress, and she laughed and walked away with my credit card. When she returned I asked if that's how they always handle complaints and she said she had misunderstood, and would we like the charge removed? yes, so off she goes, ten minutes pass, someone else come to retrieve the offending cobbler, another 5 minutes and a manager comes out to tell me that I was wrong, they smelled it and there was no moldy berry found.

I did start to get angry then, since I know the taste of a moldy anything, and the right way is to say, " sorry!" not to dispute my sense of taste. It took still another 10 minutes to get my card back and get out.

2  Thank jeeno55

Reviewed July 2, 2013

While staying in Longview for a few days, the locals suggested we try out the Masthead Restaurant in town. We were told it's a great place for local brews on tap as well as very good food. So our first night there, we headed over to the restaurant.

The first time we went, we drove right past it. The Masthead has a small sign which is nestled amongst larger more flashy signs. When you seek it out for the first time (especially when you don't know the area), it takes a bit of searching. However, once found, you see what a gem it is setting there nestled in the tall trees. It's an attractive building, nothing showy or commercial.

The parking lot can get quite full, but there seem to be plenty of spaces to park.

Inside there are numerous seating areas. The first night we were placed near their patio at a larger round table. It was light and open. The next night we were at a table in the corner, just as nice of a seat. The third night we got a booth on the other side, a bit darker but still relaxed. The last night another booth, but just as comfortable.

The first night the two men in our group decided to take advantage of Masthead's beer sampler, a set of four 5-ounce tap beers to try. It took them quite some time to decide what beers to have, and our waitress seemed to get a little annoyed by their indecisiveness, despite the fact that the restaurant was not yet busy.

However, she was still attentive and prompt with service, especially after the beer was ordered.

The food the first night wasn't anything exciting. Two of our party ordered battered fish (cod) but it was way too heavily breaded. I'd venture to guess that anything on the menu which states it's breaded will be heavily breaded. They did not rave over the food.

My taco salad was enormous. Two of us could have easily shared it. I ordered without olives, and it seemed to come with extra olives. No big deal, those I could eat around. It was very tasty, but I felt wasteful because I couldn't eat anywhere near all of it.

The next couple of meals is what gave this place the five star rating. We all went with burgers after a busy day sightseeing. Hungry and in need of high calorie intakes, burgers seemed like a good choice. We were right! They also offer smaller burgers, which is what us two women ordered. They were the perfect size. The burgers were cooked just right, still juicy, tender, no gristle or other "mystery pieces" in the meat.

The Masthead Restaurant has simply THE best fries I've ever had. I don't know what they do that's so special, but their fries are amazing. I crave them to this day! We all thought they were especially good. Dip them in Dijon mustard and it's even more amazing!

The next two nights we were there, I couldn't help but order a burger each time. I especially enjoyed the burger with avocado slices on it. Yummy!

Everything we ate seemed like it was fresh and of good quality. They seem to pay attention and put effort in to making sure the food is as good as possible. Just because we didn't care for the heavily breaded cod doesn't mean the quality wasn't there, it's just not to our liking.

It was nice to have all of the beer on tap, so many choices! We mostly tried out the locally brewed ones from Oregon and Washington.

Prices at the Masthead Restaurant are fair and pretty easy to digest.

Service was always good, each time we had someone different and they were friendly, helpful, and prompt with service. We always felt welcomed there.

It was nice to have a restaurant in the town we were staying in that we knew we could come "home" to each night and have a good dinner. It was just 5 minutes from where we were staying (Rutherglen Mansion) so the proximity was also nice. If you need to stop at a drug store, get gas, or go to Walmart after eating, they're all close by. It's a good location.

I would highly recommend the Masthead Restaurant. I'm sure the locals in Longview already agree, but even if you're just passing through on the interstate, it's worth getting off and driving into town a few minutes for a great meal.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had sent clients to your establishment as a thank you for their business. They had enjoyed your Masthead experience totally. They said tell everyone, so I am!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The best thing we could say about our visit was that the service was great, which is a lot these days since most folks in customer service basically hate their jobs and are pleased only if they are sharing that with their guests. Since the service eclipsed the food, we would probably visit again if passing thru and wanted to be served. However, the food was unmemorable. The soups were okay with a lovely side of blah bread stick brushed with a hint of flavor on top. There was a lack of seasoning and very obvious seafood from a bag off the truck into the fryer passed off as made in house. Bummer, but I am pretty sure the shrimp was in a flat bag because it appeared to have been steamrolled. My steak was nicely cooked to the correct temp; however it left me wondering if there were a tarriff on salt in Kelso. The seafood platter, obviously well-done, left us leaving the table not knowing the difference between the cod and halibut. There was a side of wet cabbage and carrots we believe to have been masquerading as cold slaw. I am pretty sure there was a mixup in the cocktail sauce and ketchup due to lack of zing or texture.
My baked potatoe was nice and fresh, which was a pleasant surprise.

The embiance is that of a local family type restaurant that stares right at the bar.??? The room was pretty dark, but okay. I would probably scout the room with a duster if it were my place.

All in all, we went because it had been rated the best restaurant in town for the past 9 years. That being said, we would come back for the service and to avoid the worst Kelso has to offer. Hope our server moves on to better things before he catches the blahs to ruin his shining attitude.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have ordered just about everything here and it's all good. It's halibut fish and chips are the greatest but so is their seafood chowder and clam chowder. The sandwiches are hearty, the burgers juicy and delicious, even pasta is great. Trust me, you can't go wrong with anything you order. The staff is always on and ready. A nice atmosphere too. Desserts are great but you'll have to get it to go because you will be too full otherwise!