“Should have listened to all the previous reviews!”
Review of Crab Pot

Crab Pot
Ranked #28 of 42 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Should have listened to all the previous reviews!

Luckily we were in a good mood, and could get past this horrible experience. We should have listened to the previous reviews on this restaurant. Shame on me! This was our first trip to Long Beach. (My husband and our two doggies) The main strip had restaurants here and there. They all kind of looked like shacks from the outside. The Crab Pot was the first and last restaurant we tried. Luckily we had a kitchen in our hotel room, so we bought groceries and made the rest of our meals. Anyhow when we drove by the outside seemed clean, and inviting. There was nobody there, but we just figured it was because it was only noon, and they just opened. Plus it’s winter, and the town isn’t as busy as the summer. So we walk in and there was one server. He was cleaning a table. He got us menus, and asked if we wanted a seat in the window where the sun was shining through. Good beginnings. Once we got the menus, we were in shock of how high the prices for everything. It was like we were in a five star seafood restaurant. We didn’t care since we were on a mini vacation, plus we figured it would be super good food with big portions. We ordered an appetizer, crab meat with cocktail sauce…$19 bucks. And it was not even equivalent to one crab leg. And it wasn’t goods either. This surprised us, because the other side of the restaurant was a fish market where you can buy crab. Not fresh crab apparently. What’s funny is we were reading reviews on this restaurant while waiting for our lunch; we were not looking forward to our lunch, thinking it would probably turn out like our appetizer. Our lunch was ok. I got halibut fish and chips, they were ok. I didn’t get a lemon with it, and had to ask. No lemon with fish and chips? $20 fish and chips at that! My husband ordered fettuccini alfredo with prawn shrimp. The sauce didn’t have much taste, and it was super rich. It just tasted like a whole gallon of cream, and that’s it. We should have walked out like two other couples who came in, sat down and left after not getting greeted by the one server. The other couple sat down and saw the prices on the menu, and just walked out too. Our bill was $65. We were so disappointed. Never again. Please don’t make the same mistake!

3  Thank kellischriever

Reviewed November 13, 2010

Because I read the other reviews on how the service was bad and the food was worst. Everything was great,our waiter was very nice and we had 22 people in our party. Two family member were celebrating their birthday.No one was rude to any one in our party and yes our party Is "Black " no racism was shown at all. So if you want a nice place to go I would recommend Crab Pot and sometime you just need to go and check things out for yourself. I'm glad I did and I will go back!

1  Thank jus4gail
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I wish I had read the previous reviews before wasting our money here. First off, we thouught the place was closed although there was an "Open" sign displayed. We walked inside and we stood in an empty restaurant wondering if someone was going to come out of the kitchen area to seat us. After a couple of minutes, a waitress appeared, didn't greet us but grapped our silverware and menues and took us to a table. Then we sat and waited for her to return and eventually she did ... we were her only customers in the restaurant. There was a large sign telling us that there was no crab available. This place is called the "Crab Shack".

We ordered a bowl of clam chowder and a bowl of oyster stew and waited and waited and waited until finally she appeared with our meal. In the meantime another couple was seated and a lone man came and waited to be seated and he finally left after waiting a very long time with no one ever appearing to seat him.

The food was okay but not good , a very bad experience indeed. This place looks fine inside but the service and all other aspects were very bad.

Reviewed September 11, 2010

When I moved to this area, a Realtor recommended the Crab Pot. I bit. The food was horrible. I'm fairly sure they dump the clams and crab into a vat of water and serve it in a pot of Lipton instant soup. This restaurant would be a perfect place for Gordon Ramsey's "Kitchen Knight-mares." Avoid!

Reviewed June 28, 2010

My family, and friends were looking for a good seafood meal. However, we did not find it here. Shrimp cocktail was $7, small, and tasted like frozen salad shrimp. Captain's Platter was heavily coated and deep fat fried - could sure taste the coating but not the food - priced at $23, Hallibut was heavily coated and deep fat fried - priced at $13. Seafood Fettucine was milky and lacked seafood - priced at $18. Crab was plain, tasted muddy - priced at $23 per crab. BL: this place was a hug disappointment for us. Definitely won't be back.

Been to Crab Pot? Share your experiences!