“Funky and friendly!”

Ranked #6 of 7 Long Beach B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Funky and friendly!”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband, two dogs and I enjoyed our stay at Our Place at the Beach. It's an older motel and as the other reviews say it's clean and the managers and front desk are the best! Fabulous customer service. They go the extra mile..nice coffee in the room, toiletries and a simple muffin and fruit breakfast in the morning. The location is super as it's centrally located but off the main drag so very quiet. We appreciated being able to bring our dogs. I really recommend Our Place at the Beach!

1 Thank Kidlet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Poulsbo WA
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a great experience here. It is an older hotel so you go into it knowing that and you'll be ok. For instance, the room door takes an actual key, not a card which I haven't seen in awhile. There was caulking all over the slightly cracked tub (room 116) but little to no mold which is all that really matters. Could have used an actual counter/shelf in the bathroom - we were using the microwave for toiletries. Direct tv was awesome. Most limited selection on some hotel systems cut out Sprout - which we really like having for the toddler. We did get better speed with our 4g than the wireless.

Excellent responsive, friendly customer Service with a smile. I had originally booked a king and asked to wait list for a double queen. Got an email in short order offering the other room type and snatched it up with ease. We asked for 4 extra pillows and it was no problem. We also used the washer no problem.

Great convenient location - we were there for the kite festival and it was a short 2 block walk to the boardwalk stretch where it was taking place. Plus a trolley for the festival stops at this hotel. The walking path to the beach out from the hotel was a charming bonus - although it was a bit of a hike for our 2.5 year old, she tougher it out ok. The dog loved it. Plus if you have bikes you can get right on the Discovery Trail from there which is awesome.

While you could hear people above and in the next room, people quieted down when it was bedtime and you really can hear the ocean waves out the window which was wonderful. But I do think we would opt for top floor next time.

We enjoyed the breakfast - a simple selection of cut in half muffins, bananas, cuties and coffee. Some real cream instead of coffeemate might have been nice as well as decaf.

All in all a comfortable stay. We will be back for clammin!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is our second stay at Our Place. Two years ago my daughter and I enjoyed out stay so much that we decided to have a family gathering here this year. We booked the larger rooms that have the separate bedrooms so that 3 families stayed in one suite and 2 in another. This is an older facility, so don't expect everything to be perfect. We felt we got more than what was the cost of staying. The owners were gracious and helpful. The location is exceptional - close to beach. We plan to stay here whenever we visit Long Beach. - Donna

Room Tip: Check out the unique suite combinations.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Poulsbo
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed in room 121 for 4 nights in August. The room was very clean, the bed and pillows were extra firm (which we like).
I think my expectations were a little high after reading the great reviews online. Sorry if I seem too critical: the clothing rod partially hung over the bed so my husband bumped into our clothes when walking on his side of the bed. The room overall seemed too small; I would check in the future to see if there was a bigger room. We had the bottom windows open all of the time, which was fine, but the big windows were fogged up in the morning when we opened the drapes so we couldn't see out. We could hear the water running when people flushed the toilet upstairs. The property could use some minor updates and repairs, although this wasn't a huge problem. Oh, and a bowl of apples or maybe an additional bread item for the continental breakfast might be nice.

The owners were super nice, both on the phone and through emails. I appreciated the great communication. Next time we might have a dog, so it will be nice to go where it's welcome.
Thanks for listening.

Washington
Reviewed August 19, 2012

It started with a warm welcome at the front desk. It was clean and comfortable. The 8.2 mile paved bike and walking trail is very close and a must. The rooms have a large window that opens to let in the ocean air. We loved this place. We will definitely be back!

Chico, CA
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Overall a good place to stay for a night.

My favorite things were the big window at the back of the room and the later continental breakfast hours. We stayed at another place in a different city the next night, a chain-motel, and the window was in the front (so you had to sacrifice privacy for daylight, or vice versa) and the breakfast was over at 9AM (we're late sleepers). It made me miss Our Place at the Beach!

The rest of the story:

We made the reservation online the same day we were staying and only a few hours before checking in. Sue emailed back asking what time we expected to arrive since the office closed at 9PM. We were set to arrive just before the office closed, but for some reason, our navigator sent us several streets too far north (we ended up on 26th N and Ocean Boulevard).

The town has two sets of numbered streets, one for north and one for south. Our Place at the Beach is on Boulevard Ave off of S. 13th St. There is a sign on Pacific Ave/Hwy 103 (it's on the left if you're coming from 101), but we missed it somehow on our way in. When we called for directions a couple minutes before 9PM, they told us how to find them and waited up for us. Upon arriving, Sue told us there'd be breakfast in the morning between 8AM and 10AM and that check-out was at 11AM.

The room was clean but an older style, kind of quaint, like being at Grandma's house. It was comfortable and homey; I appreciated the windows in back that opened out on a forest of pines. It was very private and with the window open we could hear the ocean, though it was a far-away sound. There was no AC that I saw but I don't think anyone would need it. Just open the windows. There's a little one in the bathroom/entry way area at the front of the room; with that open and the one in the back open, you can make a good cross-breeze. There was a heater, but we didn't need it.

The Wi-Fi was a bit weak where we were, but we were only staying overnight so it wasn't a big deal. The shower we had in room 228 was the kind where the head is on a hose that you can remove from a holder if you want. The ceiling was a little low in the shower (but not the bathroom). My husband, who is 6'1", had a bit of trouble with it, I think. There wasn't a closet, but there was a bar for hanging up clothes and a fold out rack for a suitcase. Also, there's no elevator or anything, so if you have a lot of luggage, you'll be carting it up yourself unless you pick a ground-floor room. That was fine by us, but we just had the one suitcase. We didn't use the TV but it was a pretty small set. But we didn't come to Long Beach to watch TV so that didn't matter to us. There was a microwave and a mini-fridge, which I always like to have in any room I stay in.

Whether or not you'll like a place like this really depends on you. I loved it. I'm not sure how my husband felt about it (he's a tech guy and likes his Wi-Fi to work well). I'd like to stay again, and for longer. I also really liked the online reservation system, because it told you exactly what was in each room. If you're staying awhile, they have at least one room (115) that has a full kitchen!

Room Tip: The pictures posted by Califaloha on July 26, 2012 look just like the room we stayed in (228).
Snohomish, Washington, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We wanted to stay one more night in Long Beach after staying with a friend and didn't have the opportunity to research on the web where to go. We saw the sign for Our Place and stopped in. Sue was fantastic, and I'm a stickler for customer service. Saw our room and yep, older, but extremely clean and very comfortable, that's where we decided to stay! No need to explore further. Take a swim suit for the hot tub and enjoy the well equipped fitness room! Wake up and enjoy coffee and fruit and muffins in the office and enjoy the coffee maker in your room! Loved our night here. It's for sure our new go-to place in Long Beach. Thanks Sue!

Room Tip: Not super close to the beach. Good value and very clean and quiet.