“Winter get- away disappointment”

Inn at Discovery Coast
Ranked #1 of 7 Long Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 14, 2009

The Inn at Discovery Coast had come highly recommended by a local as a great place to stay. Sadly, we were very disappointed. The glass on the gas fireplace was very dirty and hard to see the full affect of the flames. The wine and coffee cups were badly smudged. We hand washed them before using them. On the first morning, I called asking for another 2 or 3 coffee packets and was told that I could have one more now and one after they came in and cleaned. I have stayed at other hotels who never questioned how many of packets I was entitled to and especially with what this place charges!

We loved the oversized jacuzzi tub but of the 3 times we used it, the last 2 times when we went to turn the hot water on to reheat the water, all we got was cold water. That ended the time in the tub because while waiting for it to warm up which it never did, it made the water much colder. The jets also after a period of time would turn off on their own. When we pushed the button to restart the jets, they would not come on but did so a short time late like maybe 10 min. later.

The breakfast basket was so-so. The yogurt was fatty, 6 and 7 grams of fat instead of being light. The first day we got one apple, the next day we got an apple and an orange. The scones were ok , the juice ok and the jam was the best part of it all.

The wooden floors are very noisy if you are not on the top floor. We like to sleep in and it was difficult to do so due to the people above us walking around in their shoes early in the morning. We were on the 2nd floor

Also, when we checked in, at 1:30, we were told to come back at 3 as they were still cleaning our rooms, there were two parties of us, and two rooms and apparently they would not be available until the check in time. We were not very happy that we had to find something to do for an hour and a half.

It appears as though it is not well managed with plumbing and cleaning issues as well as other odds and ends.

We will only return if we hear from the locals that improvements have been made and will only stay on the 3rd floor to avoid the noise.

Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank Kevin F
There are newer reviews for Inn at Discovery Coast

Reviewed February 3, 2009

The rooms are incredible. My (now) husband and I have stayed here at least 3 times! We love it. It's super comfortable, the bed is amazing, and the views are incredible! There is a 3 minute walk to the ocean from your beach front room. You can sit on the back patio and watch the ocean. The bathroom can be a bit slick if you're not careful.. so make sure to lay down a towel on the floor. Everything about this place is wonderful! They will allow you to barrow dvds, games, bikes etc. Super nice place with a super nice staff!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank smilelikeumeanit
Reviewed January 2, 2009

The Inn at Discovery Coast is a perfect getaway right on the beach. We stayed here for three nights in December and it was definitely the highlight of our trip.

It was unusually cold weather for Long Beach, and I got a phone call from the owner the day we were expected to arrive and he offered to upgrade us into a better room so we would have a fireplace to keep us warmer. The staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating. A highlight was the breakfast basket that got delivered to our door each morning when we requested it.

The Inn at Discovery Coast has also made an effort to go green, aiming to save electricity, water, to recycle and provide healthy, organic food and beverages. A number of the foods and drinks in the snack bar were also fair trade certified.

I highly recommend this lovely place. The rooms are gorgeous, the staff is hospitable, the location is fantastic. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amberkristin
Reviewed December 10, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here over Labor Day weekend and had an amazing time. We were on the top floor and had great views of the beach and ocean. I loved the fact that instead of a traditional B&B where you have to be down in the main dining room by 8am for breakfast, you could just call the front desk and they would drop off a breakfast basket at your door. It was great to be able to sleep in, relax, and have breakfast in bed. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that their website promised beach cruiser bikes as an amenity, but when we tried to take them out for a beach cruise, they were all rusted with the chains falling off. But we still had a wonderful time.

1  Thank treekang
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Inn at Discovery Coast is a wonderful place to stay. It's best labeled as a bed & breakfast, though it's a little less formal than any I've stayed in before. The bed was luxurious, the bathroom very nicely done (wife and I were taking notes on how we might want to renovate/build ours), and the hardwood floors and "antiqued" furniture gave it a nice feel. The breakfast provided (2 scones, yogurts, juices, and fruit plus coffee) was just right - enough to hold us over till lunch/dinner, but not so heavy as to make our hikes to the lighthouses or walks along the beach unpleasant.

The property is split into two structures; the main structure houses the office and suites; the second structure houses 9 rooms, 3 on each floor. We stayed in the middle room on the 3rd floor. While there is no elevator available, these rooms afford the best view of the waves crashing onto shore and most of the beach. The bottom rooms have a view of the ocean, but not much beach, as the dunes osbtruct. The gas fireplace heated the room quickly (a neccessity, since we were visiting in October), and provided that oh-so-romantic ambience.

I would easily choose to stay here on my next visit to Long Beach, and encourage anyone else to do the same!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank afnoles
Reviewed October 3, 2008

We stayed 4 nights, September 27-30 and had the best time. The weather was very summerlike the first couple days then classic NW fog and mist the last two. Absolutely wonderful. The room was perfect and modern amenities were appreciated. I also believe that The Inn is ideally located, just at the foot of the dunes before the beach. It was great to sit out on the deck to see and listen to the ocean, to wake up in the the middle of the night to view the stars, and to watch a resident hawk searching the dunes for breakfast each morning. A walk to the beach is easy and also should be mandatory during your stay! The bikes were servicable and we put them to good use by riding all over the place. The staff was very accommodating and fulfilled any requests in a friendly and timely fashion. The bed, the fireplace and the lull of the ocean all lent themselves to a peaceful nights sleep, comfortable lounging, and mid day siestas.

In all, we really loved this place, as well as the location and the greater community and we look forward to a return trip to the Inn at Discovery Coast as soon as we can get away again.

1  Thank OutandAboutNW
Reviewed September 27, 2008

While staying at the Inn at Discovery Coast my husband and I had a wonderful time. My room was gorgeous, the bed was more comfortable than the one I have at home. The sheets were soooo soft. My room had the best ocean view I have ever seen. I loved the over sized jacuzzi tub. The breakfast basket in the morning was perfect! It was light and filling. I will definetly be returning to this lovely romantic getaway inn.

2  Thank hotmama92