“Good food, selection, and value”

Hungry Harbor Grille
Ranked #6 of 42 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Ate here at lunch time with a group of seven ranging from ages 6 up to 40. Kids plates were great value and all the food we had was excellent quality. Only complaint is the seating is all built in to the table so if you are a large person or very pregnant like me, it was very uncomfortable sitting down for long.

There are newer reviews for Hungry Harbor Grille

Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife Cindy and I stopped in for lunch on a dreary raining afternoon. We were met with Smiling faces and a large menu with many choices. Our Fish and Chowder was delicious..Our meal at Hungry Harbor made the day a little bit brighter. We will be back!

1  Thank Tommy P
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I really, really wanted to like this place, if only to keep it open. It is very difficult to operate a restaurant (or any tourist-dependent business) in a town that gets visitors only 4 months a year plus 3-day holiday weekends. Hungry Harbor has changed hands a couple of times recently after a long closure. The new owners are very nice, cooking and serving themselves, and trying out all kinds of things over the winter to attract locals as well as tourists. But they don't seem to have much experience running a restaurant.

This is a quick-food place where you order at the counter and one of the staff will bring out your food -- at least in the winter. It will take you at least 12 minutes just to read the menu board, and another 5 minutes to cover the dozens of hand-written items that have been tacked up around the ordering area. In other words, they are trying to cover every possible niche, and when that happens, they are not going to do things very well.

I ordered cod fish & chips and chowder. The chowder is fantastic -- not like most with flour-thickened base, this one has more of a broth and huge chunks of clams. Very, very good! However, I am worried that the restaurant owners don't know moderately priced cod from really expensive halibut -- because they served me halibut fish & chips, and lost money (or didn't make much) in the process. The fish was way, way overcooked and was therefore dry. It REQUIRED extra tartar sauce (made in house; pretty good but the portion was miniscule). Make that 2 extra tartar sauces. Ok, 3. It probably wasn't necessary to include cole slaw, since it didn't appear that ANY other patrons were eating it and it wastes the restaurant even more money. The fries were dry (from frozen potatoes -- not uncommon) but there was a mountain of them. Again, advice to the owners: you won't stay in business at this rate.

Gotta give a shout out to the owners -- they asked time and again if I needed anything and didn't object to giving all the extra tartars and crackers.

The decor leaves something to be desired; the inside is as cold (not just temperature) as a 50-year old Weenie World, what with the plastic booths.

So come for the chowder, give the owners some feedback, and hope that Hungry Harbor can learn from its early mistakes and stay in business.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I'm glad I trusted my nose and passed on the fish and chips, the waitress was polite enough to show me the fish used.... I had fresher fish on my last deployment 1500 miles from any ocean! The booth next to us had an order and their comments reassured my nose. Price was higher then average. Host was polite!

1  Thank Jason H
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Generous portions are served so come hungry. Food is cooked to order, and service is fast, friendly and courteous.
There are many seafood choices on the menu- and a kid's menu too. The dinner specials during the week are excellent, and the Sunday Buffet has a huge selection including Eggs Benedict.
Many locals eat here on a regular basis, which is a testament to the food. Try them and you will be hooked as well to their quality food at a fair price. I highly recommend them!