“Not many of these left”

Cottage Bakery and Delicatessen
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Long Beach
Cuisines: American, Deli
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I used to be a baker- working while the majority of the world slept. After a few years I couldn't do it anymore, I had other options and went a different direction. Unfortunately, I am not alone. Full blown scratch bakers are a disappearing breed, replaced by large assembly line companies providng frozen "bake-off" items to "bakeries" or fully baked goods by delivery to store shelves. Many stores have a limited supply of store baked items but not many places exist anymore that offer a huge line up of danish pastries, cakes, pies, brownies, elephant ears, doughnuts, cookies, breads, and muffins.

The store also appears to a popular place for breakfast bisquits and gravy and sandwiches for lunch.

Even if you are not a big baked goods eater, I recommend you stop by and honor an old tradition that will probably be a rarity indeed for our kids when they grow up- go splurge- buy a cookie or a danish- when was the last time you had a real fresh baked danish? This is a definite must stop- even if you prefer tofu over white flour- stop and take a look at one of the foundational institutions of our country- right next to butcher and candlestick maker.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Cottage Bakery has always been one place we have to stop at when we would come to visit Long Beach. They have some really good baked goods and soups. We have orderd cakes before and they have turned out great.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Plain and simple, the Cottage Bakery is just a local bakery with a rather large selection. Technically I don't think they serve allot other than baked goods, so the selection is limited other than sugary, sticky items. God honest truth, the baked goods were good but nothing extrodinary.

The Cottage Bakery one of those places "to go" when your in Long Beach that has a large local and tourist following. I think the thing that was most impressive was the variety and selection of baked goods available. The service, from our experiece of going there twice, was fast and friendly. Bring cash. There is a line but it moves fast. The prices are very reasonable. The food was good but just like most of the bakeries you'll come across....just an iconic slice of Americana.

There's not a huge amount in Long Beach, so I think between the selection/variety and the iconic status as one of Long Beaches only real tourist attractions is the real reason for the #1 rating on trip advisor.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Their peanut butter cupcakes with the chocolate center are a reason to visit in and of itself. I crave them!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great baked goods. The service wasnt good. When I went to use my debit card they acted like I was trying to steal from them. They offered the use of a cash machine that wasnt working. They also acted like I was taking to long to select what we wanted.