“Terrible Service, Average Food”

Benson's By The Beach
Ranked #8 of 41 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
PDX
“Terrible Service, Average Food”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This review is based on 2 adults going to Bensons yesterday (09/15/2012) for a late breakfast - about 10:30am. When we arrived there were several people waiting ahead of us. A quick scan of the restaurant showed it was at about 40% capacity. There were what looked like 2 servers and 2 kitchen people for a place which seats about 110 people.
After what was said to be a 5-10 minute wait we were finally seated. The wait was more like 15-20 minutes.
We ordered coffee (@ $2.00 for a very small restaurant cup!) and waited for our server.
She showed up about 10 minutes later - which wasn't so bad. I asked 2 or 3 questions about the menu - one was could I have ham substituted with mushrooms - the answer was no as the meat for the omelette were premixed. I was told normally they might be able to accommodate me, but today they were too busy. I also asked about a croissant sandwich they have and was told it wan't a butter croissant, but a crescent roll croissant. Blergh - no thanks.
I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak and my husband ordered the Cheese Omelette. While we were waiting for our food I tried to signal our server for a refill for our coffee - both times she smiled and walked in the other direction. Eventually I got up to ask for it.
Both arrived about 15 minutes after the order was placed and with this came our coffee refills - why they didn't just place a carafe on the table was beyond me.
At the time our food was delivered the bill was placed on the table with the server telling us "I'll try to get back to you, but we are so busy, I probably wont, so thanks for coming in".
That was the last time we saw a server until it came time to pay for the meal, at the counter.
The meal was average, nothing appeared to be home made but it did come to our table steaming hot - which is always nice.
The bill came to about $27.00 for both of us, which is not overly expensive for a tourist town.
Would I eat there again? Probably not. Bad service turns me off a place - regardless of how busy they are. When there are so many other places in town to eat, we would choose differently next time.

• Visited September 2012

Bremerton, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing Homemade - Terrible service”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I ate here over Labor Day Weekend and both ordered the Eggs Benedict. The "Ham" was store bought packaged honey ham, the Hollandaise sauce was also store bought but had lemon added, waaayyy too much lemon. The meal was dull, uninspiring, and just plain gross. The owner who was also our server on this particular day dropped off our food, never to return again. She seemed too interested in her "usuals" than a new customer. BAD JOB Benson's, BAD JOB.

• Visited September 2012
Seattle, Washington
“Great for breakfast”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The service was fast and the staff was nice. It was a decent, no frills breakfast for the price. It was also in a great location. You can park behind the ferris wheel and walk right over. It's next to the large outdoor frying pan. Good post-breakfast photo opportunity.

Visited August 2012
Seattle
“Strange concept of service”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Rude owner. Said they had wi-fi. Bought tea. Found out it was password protected. Said I couldn't use it without ordering a meal. I left.

Chico, CA
“Wonderful Breakfast in a Light and Airy Atmosphere!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

On a recent vacation to Long Beach, my wife and I stopped into Bensons by the Beach for breakfast. There aren't many choices in Long Beach and it looked quite nice from the street.

Light and airy - it is a simple, classic small town diner. We were served by a cheerful waitress and the food was prompt.

My wife chose a custom, crab-filled omelet while I had the Crab Benedict dish. Both of us received generous portions of fresh, shredded crab in our dishes. Her omelet was light and fluffy and my Hollandaise sauce was done just right. I asked for Hash Browns a little crispy and that is what I got.

We enjoyed Benson's and would easily recommend it to anyone for breakfast.

Well done, Bensons!!