“Good satisfying breakfast value”

Benson's By The Beach
Ranked #8 of 42 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I had the country benedict with sausage (hollandaise instead of country gravy) and my partner had crab benedict. Both dishes were served with an ample portion of crispy hashbrowns. The poached eggs were prepared just right and the food was very satisfying as well as providing a good value. The only suggestion I have is your coffee could be upgraded. We know a good cup of coffee here in the Pacific NW, especially during breakfast hours. Yours was not only a bit bitter but pretty weak. We'll definitely revist for your breakfast with an espresso in hand. Regarding the service, we felt like the Long Beach wait staff were disinterested and bored at every restaurant we visited. Zero personality and not much in the way of a friendly welcome or a simple smile. Kind of surprising for a beach town that depends on it's tourists dollars. Anyway, give this a restaurant a try for breakfast. It's good, central to the downtown action, and you'll leave feeling full and ready for lots of walking. Oh, and the lunch menu looked good too!

Reviewed May 30, 2011

The food was not very good and the waitstaff was rude and just seemed like they hated their job. Will not be returning there..

1  Thank shannbamm
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We had a short wait for a party of 2. Waitress brought my water and my son's milk, took our order, and never came back. Someone else delivered the food and that was it. I finally caught her eye as she walked by one time and got her to bring some more water and ordered my daughter's breakfast to go. It took 15 minutes for a couple of pieces of french toast. I had ordered eggs with crisp bacon. I'm not sure what they consider crisp, but in my book, that means you can break it in half without tearing, that's not what I got. My son had chicken fried steak. He said it was chewy and they skimped on the gravy. To top it off, the whole time we were seated next to a young couple who were breaking up. Having to sit there waiting so long for service and listening to their dribble (because the tables are so close together) was the icing on a bad cake. There are a lot of breakfast places in Long Beach, pick somewhere else!

Reviewed April 3, 2010

This is in the location that used to be Debi’s. The new owners appear to have kept a lot of Debi’s menu (and the peg games on the tables), but have uncluttered the interior of the restaurant.

I ordered the Sea Monster, which is pastrami and Swiss cheese on grilled rye. It had a ton of meat on it. The bread on second half got partially soggy while I was eating the first half. Perhaps they can find a way to raise the bread off the plate so that it doesn’t sit in the condensation. My spouse had the BLT, which was excellent; probably due to the thick and flavorful bacon. The French fries and tater tots were well-cooked and a nice dark golden brown. However, I saw that later patrons got undercooked, limp fries, so I’m not sure what happened.