“Funky place to stay”

Adrift Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I loved everything about this hotel. It's interior design is funky fresh and reflective of the beach. The staff are great and there is a wonderful chocolate Labrador to greet you. You can borrow bicycles and DVDs or games. It's very close to the beach and board walk.
The beds were clean and comfortable and our room was lovely and clean. No complaints and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,866)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We chose this place because it was available over Labor Day weekend with about 1 week's notice. Due to that, we paid far more than you would probably have to pay at other times. We had an ocean front king suite. It was large & gave us plenty of space which was nice. We knew not to expect to many amenities based on reviews so we were prepared for the spartan accommodations. We were on the second floor; we did have an ocean view out of 2 sides but you'd have a better view probably from the 3rd floor. Noise was not an issue for us (we were concerned due to many of the reviews). Our bed was ok ... barely. Housekeeping isn't the greatest. Reviews & info in the room said if you wanted towels changed out to leave them on the floor .... we did but they weren't changed out! We understand they probably don't need A/C very often but it would have been nice this weekend. At a minimum, they should put ceiling fans in all the rooms -- that would have made things so much better. While you're about as close to the beach/ocean as you can be in Long Beach, you're still pretty far away & can't hear the "roar" of the ocean. We did get box fans for the second night (they should simply be in the rooms!)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelSinceRetired
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Quirkiness is a great way for urban boutique hotels to stand out from bland chains. But the best boutique operators know the basics of hotel operations. Those basics were too often missing at the Adrift.

First, a beach hotel is not one at the airport. People will likely to be staying for at least a couple of days. They will want a place to unpack. That's not available at the Adrift, where in rooms raw wooden crates abound (in tribute to the "driftwood" theme of the hotel -- odd, because I saw none on the beach) but there are no drawers and few shelves.

Second, people may want to read in their room at night from something that is not backlit. That was essentially impossible at the Adrift. The room was the most dimly lit one I have encountered in 20 years.

Third, people will want housekeeping. I had to request it from the front desk one day when our room still had not been touched at 4 pm. Even when we got housekeeping, it did not do things such as replenish soap or replace glasses.

The best part of the hotel is the restaurant, Picked Fish, which serves very good food and bar snacks, and has a fine beer selection. But the restaurant is not open for breakfast! It is also located on the top floor of the hotel, which, as some prior reviews has observed, is not ideal from a noise standpoint. This was not a problem for us, as we were on the top floor of the hotel, on the south side, furthest away from the restaurant. I would be skeptical of rooms on lower floors. The exchange for our quiet: slow and intermittent wi-fi service.

In sum, the Adrift is a throughly mediocre property, but it's not clear one can do much better given the limited selections in Long Beach.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, choose a room on the 4th floor, facing south, on the east side of the hotel (high...
1  Thank otberbur
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here & I fell in love with the decor & location. Sure it's cheap pallet-type furnishing & you shouldn't look too closely, but it's perfect for the beach

The lobby area was great with large containers of water with either lemon/lime slices or orange slices, different roast coffees & tea. The front desk guy made me a small french press of decaf several times over the course of our stay as well, which was really nice...I just called down & it'd be ready when I arrived

The bikes available were so cute, but we didn't get to ride them. Great idea though & it looked like they had quite a few most of the time, so it shouldn't be a problem to get them when you want

I was pleasantly surprised by the bed & bedding. The bed felt like it might have been too hard when feeling it for the first time (the memory foam type) but I slept really well & the light comforter was surprisingly warm enough for me even though I'm used to heavier comforters/blankets at home

We were a few doors down from the restaurant on the 4th floor & I think it's the place to be. We could hear the music from our room, but it doesn't play all night & the overall hotel noise wasn't very bad & didn't keep us awake

The price we paid wasn't the best around, but I thought for the location (super close to the beach) & the little extras they provide, it was worth it & we'd visit again when in the area next time

Room Tip: Stayed on the 4th floor a few doors down from the restaurant & it wasn't too noisy
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

First of all, the location of this hotel is perfect. Only a couple of blocks from the boardwalk and right on the beach with easy access, it was perfect. And I found the price to be extremely reasonable for the oceanfront location.

The theme and decor of this hotel is quite unique, and was fun and funky. Having never stayed at a minimalist hotel before I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the different floors and seeing all the ways they used the theme. Also love that they have so much available for guests, from bikes to dvd's to shuffleboard and board games, all free of charge.

As much as I loved the room the "ocean view" I booked was disappointing as you had to crane your neck a bit to actually see the ocean and the main view was of a back street. Not having air conditioning on the too floor was tough, it got incredibly muggy up there. And while it's great they have coffee in the lobby from 6 am on, I really prefer a coffee pot in the room.

All that being said however, I will definitely be choosing this hotel the next time I'm in Long Beach.

• Stayed: August 2013
Mollie C, Guest Relations Manager at Adrift Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you so much for your review, and for coming and staying with us! So glad you enjoyed our hotel and amenities. I am sorry it was muggy when you were here. We only have about a week of really warm weather here on the peninsula; the rest of the time it's nice and cool and AC isn't needed. We do have fans and coffee pots available upon request for guests, I apologize if you weren't told that at check in. We hope to see you back again when our weather is a little cooler! Cheers

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Perfect combination of clean versus beach sustainable. It is right next to the beach. I loved the essential oil soaps in the room. Helped me feel like I was at a spa. We were on the same floor as the bar/restaurant but did not have any issues with noise. Very dog friendly but we did not bring the dog this time. Love the free refreshments in the lobby and also the free bike use. The restaurant was fresh and healthy but small portions. If you are hungry you will need to order more. Please visit this hotel, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Bring or buy a kite.
1  Thank Ilove2travel55

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back again soon!

Cheers!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I rented an ocean view suite, to accommodate two couples. I was informed that it was under the restaurant/bar and there is live entertainment until 11PM.

The suite did have a great ocean view. This is an older building that someone decided to do the interior very cheap and funky, kind of like a poor man's remodel of an commercial establishment into a living quarter. The king size bed was foam and comfortable. The futon was very hard and uncomfortable. Upon checking into the room, even though reservations were for four, there was no bedding the the futon or towels and glasses for four.

The furnishings consist of wooden crates used for coffee tables and end tables. No air conditioning other than open windows, which poises a problem in trying to block out noise from outside from the drunks leaving the bar who continue drinking outside. The bathroom floor is exposed, but sealed MDF board. There is a small coffee pot, with coffee and cups for two. There is a flats screen TV and DVD player in bedroom and living area. DVD's and bicycles are offered free of charge for use by guests. The premises was clean.

The noise from the bar was nothing in comparison to the noise outside from 11PM until about 1PM, including the entertaining playing his guitar and singing outside and the loud drunks yelling at each other. After several hours I finally called the desk clerk who went outside and confronted them. They left for about 15 minutes for the boardwalk, but returned for another 15-20 minutes prior to dispersing.

Room Tip: Any room on the north side is going to have problems with noise from drunks after bar closes. Bar a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family