“Felt At Home”

Adrift Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
“Felt At Home”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here & I fell in love with the decor & location. Sure it's cheap pallet-type furnishing & you shouldn't look too closely, but it's perfect for the beach

The lobby area was great with large containers of water with either lemon/lime slices or orange slices, different roast coffees & tea. The front desk guy made me a small french press of decaf several times over the course of our stay as well, which was really nice...I just called down & it'd be ready when I arrived

The bikes available were so cute, but we didn't get to ride them. Great idea though & it looked like they had quite a few most of the time, so it shouldn't be a problem to get them when you want

I was pleasantly surprised by the bed & bedding. The bed felt like it might have been too hard when feeling it for the first time (the memory foam type) but I slept really well & the light comforter was surprisingly warm enough for me even though I'm used to heavier comforters/blankets at home

We were a few doors down from the restaurant on the 4th floor & I think it's the place to be. We could hear the music from our room, but it doesn't play all night & the overall hotel noise wasn't very bad & didn't keep us awake

The price we paid wasn't the best around, but I thought for the location (super close to the beach) & the little extras they provide, it was worth it & we'd visit again when in the area next time

Room Tip: Stayed on the 4th floor a few doors down from the restaurant & it wasn't too noisy
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

First of all, the location of this hotel is perfect. Only a couple of blocks from the boardwalk and right on the beach with easy access, it was perfect. And I found the price to be extremely reasonable for the oceanfront location.

The theme and decor of this hotel is quite unique, and was fun and funky. Having never stayed at a minimalist hotel before I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the different floors and seeing all the ways they used the theme. Also love that they have so much available for guests, from bikes to dvd's to shuffleboard and board games, all free of charge.

As much as I loved the room the "ocean view" I booked was disappointing as you had to crane your neck a bit to actually see the ocean and the main view was of a back street. Not having air conditioning on the too floor was tough, it got incredibly muggy up there. And while it's great they have coffee in the lobby from 6 am on, I really prefer a coffee pot in the room.

All that being said however, I will definitely be choosing this hotel the next time I'm in Long Beach.

• Stayed August 2013
Mollie C, Guest Relations Manager at Adrift Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, and for coming and staying with us! So glad you enjoyed our hotel and amenities. I am sorry it was muggy when you were here. We only have about a week of really warm weather here on the peninsula; the rest of the time it's nice and cool and AC isn't needed. We do have fans and coffee pots available upon request for guests, I apologize if you weren't told that at check in. We hope to see you back again when our weather is a little cooler! Cheers
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Perfect combination of clean versus beach sustainable. It is right next to the beach. I loved the essential oil soaps in the room. Helped me feel like I was at a spa. We were on the same floor as the bar/restaurant but did not have any issues with noise. Very dog friendly but we did not bring the dog this time. Love the free refreshments in the lobby and also the free bike use. The restaurant was fresh and healthy but small portions. If you are hungry you will need to order more. Please visit this hotel, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Bring or buy a kite.
1 Thank Ilove2travel55
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back again soon!

Cheers!
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I rented an ocean view suite, to accommodate two couples. I was informed that it was under the restaurant/bar and there is live entertainment until 11PM.

The suite did have a great ocean view. This is an older building that someone decided to do the interior very cheap and funky, kind of like a poor man's remodel of an commercial establishment into a living quarter. The king size bed was foam and comfortable. The futon was very hard and uncomfortable. Upon checking into the room, even though reservations were for four, there was no bedding the the futon or towels and glasses for four.

The furnishings consist of wooden crates used for coffee tables and end tables. No air conditioning other than open windows, which poises a problem in trying to block out noise from outside from the drunks leaving the bar who continue drinking outside. The bathroom floor is exposed, but sealed MDF board. There is a small coffee pot, with coffee and cups for two. There is a flats screen TV and DVD player in bedroom and living area. DVD's and bicycles are offered free of charge for use by guests. The premises was clean.

The noise from the bar was nothing in comparison to the noise outside from 11PM until about 1PM, including the entertaining playing his guitar and singing outside and the loud drunks yelling at each other. After several hours I finally called the desk clerk who went outside and confronted them. They left for about 15 minutes for the boardwalk, but returned for another 15-20 minutes prior to dispersing.

Room Tip: Any room on the north side is going to have problems with noise from drunks after bar closes. Bar a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Richard H
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Phenomenal location right on the beach. Would like to go back and stay for more than a day.

The rooms are definitely different but in a good way.

Pickled Fish restaurant/bar (part of the main building) has an interesting menu and great live music. They serve a lot of local products which are really good. The cheese tray we ordered as an appetizer was really, really good.(again with local cheeses)

They have good coffee in the lobby and you can also borrow their bikes for a ride down the never-ending beach.

Our visit was definitely a nice change from the mundane hotels that are all too common.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank WhatsThatOverThere
Thanks for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your time here with us. The bikes and coffee are always a favorite with our guests. Also so glad you enjoyed Pickled Fish and our live music we have there! We hope to see you back again soon
Indiana
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Adrift for a family reunion. The staff is wonderful, and the location is very good. Easy beach access and easy to walk to town.
However, the rooms are very noisy. So much so that the hotel offers ear plugs alreay waiting for you in the room. If you want to stay more than a couple of days, don't look for a dresser to put your clotehs in because none of the rooms have dressers. No drawers at all. Just a few hangers.
We had a party of 35 utilize the restaurant for a Sunday brunch. This had been planned for months. After we ordered our meals, the restaurant kitchen was overwhelmed and it took well over an hour and a half for people to get thier meals. The wait staff would deliver the meals one-by-one so many of the people were done eating long before everyone received their breakfast. I think there must have been a 45 minute period between the first meal served and the last. I'm not sure why bacon took such a long time and why it wasn't cooked all at the same time???? Pretty disappointing and a poor reflection on me since I organized the meal months ago.
Again, the staff was great, but that was about it.

Room Tip: If you stay here, ask for a Delux room so you are in the main building (West) and don't stay on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank vacay-indy
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The decor was unexpected, kind of cold and metallic, but interesting and well done. Very clean for a beach area which I think is due to the linoleum floors. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was great. Plenty of bath towels, hangers, pillows. We could have used more lamps, chairs and hand towels but for the price and right on the sand, it was a good deal. Free bikes to use which we did not, but it was nice to know. Our room was 420, the end of the hall on the fourth floor, away from the restaurant and the nightly music there. It was quiet and private with a good view of the ocean, dunes, boardwalk. Very satisfied. Wish we had brought out dog!

Room Tip: Rooms at the east end seem quieter--ask for larger numbers. (420 as opposed to 401 which is near the...