“Shabby Industrial Chic on the Beach”

Adrift Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
New York, NY
“Shabby Industrial Chic on the Beach”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This property is wonderfully situated just behind the dunes of Long Beach. We were there on a Monday night in mid-June using a Living Social deal. At that time, the hotel was busy but not packed and the area had not quite revved up for the summer season, so the beach and town were not crowded and everything seemed rather quiet and low key - which we enjoyed. Check-in was welcoming and efficient. (All of the staff were very friendly and accommodating throughout our short stay.) Our room was on the south side of the fourth floor of the main building, providing a nice view of the beach. The hotel's bar/gastropub is on the same floor. I was somewhat concerned about potential bar noise given what I had read in various reviews, but thankfully it turned out not to be a problem on a Monday night in the shoulder season. (Food in the bar was good, albeit with small portions; the views were great; relatively high food prices were somewhat offset by reasonable drink prices). The hotel's spacious lobby provided early morning risers a place to gather, read the paper and have a good cup of complimentary coffee. We also took advantage of the in-room coffee maker that was offered when we checked in. The complimentary bicycles offered to guests were a very nice touch My biggest complaint is that the rooms, while spacious, were somewhat shabby - industrial chic on too tight of a budget? - with incomplete paint job, poor lighting for reading, no closet, no mat for getting sand off of feet, etc. Vanity was in the entryway very close to the room's door, making entry and exit somewhat awkward. King bed was okay, but not great. There was a nice daybed by the window. Housekeeping was okay, but the room was not spotless.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hrza04a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Port Orchard, Washington, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel my Husband and I for the weekend. If you are looking for nothing special this is the place to be. They did have games and bikes stuff for families to do and for the most part the staff was friendly. We spent very little time in the room.
My suggestion is check your credit card bill after your visit. We at at the pickled fish restaurant had lousy service and lousy food. The Prices on the menu's were not what we were charged. The Chicken strips were dried out and burger king has better strips for less than the $7. we were charged for 5 quarter sided chicken somethings. our total bill was 54.84 for 4 drinks that were not good chicken strips and green beans. The next night we went to the local store and bought food to make for ourselves, and the fixings for our own drinks.
After we got home we checked out our bank statement online and discovered that not only did they charge our room for lousy drinks and food like we requested our card was also ran and charged.
so if you just looking for a place to stay with kids, have your own food, and track every card purchase you should have a good time.
I have called them to complain about the charges and they said that a manager would get back to me I am still waiting.

Room Tip: Get one with a water view. give you something to look at
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mollie C, Guest Relations Manager at Adrift Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your review, glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Adrift with the complimentary games and bikes. I'm very sorry to hear you had a rough experience at Pickled Fish and that there was a confusion with your bill. Your card appeared to not go through upstairs in the restaurant and so your tab was added to your reservation and charged at check out. When we realized there had been a double charge a manager immediately refunded and called the next day to verify. I'm sorry the food quality was not to your liking, we didn't realize there was a problem with your meal until we read the review online. We always strive to keep our customers happy, and appreciate the feedback!
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I got a great Groupon deal for two nights at this hotel and we had a great time. It's located right on the beach, and you can have your toes in the sand within minutes of arrival! Our room was on the first floor on the North side and we had a view of the ocean, which was great!
The room, a double queen, was really simple, no mini-fridge, no frills, but exceptionally clean. I found the beds to be really comfortable and it was just fine since we were spending all of our time on the beach, anyway. Breakfast was not provided, however in the lobby you could get coffee and tea anytime from 6 am till midnight.
They do offer complimentary bikes, which are great for the Discovery Bike trail (my favorite part of our weekend!), and the hotel staff was really friendly. Our Groupon came with a Bonfire Package, which was a really neat extra where they provide you with all the fixings to make a campfire and s'mores, however, the package normally costs around $60 and I don't think I would have bought it if it hadn't been inclusive in our deal.
Above the lobby is the hotel's restaurant, Pickled Fish. It has a great ambiance and there was live music the night we dined there and the food was good- however, the portions are quite small and quite expensive for what you get, probably better off eating elsewhere in town.

All in all, it was a really pleasant trip at a really simple hotel, but I don't think I would have chosen it if I had to pay the full price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kevans1992
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Adrift and absolutely loved it! Coming from Portland I felt right at home here! The hotel is clean, modern, and eco-friendly. The beds are a bit firm but I slept like a baby so I can't complain. AND this place is right on the beach! Perfect location! My only critique is that the Pickled Fish closes too early (11pm.. come on people!) and that there were no blow dryers in the room. Other than that, it was an enjoyable stay. I would definitely recommend taking the free bikes out for a spin! You won't regret it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind review! We are so glad you had a wonderful stay! Look forward to seeing you back again. We do have hair dryers/fans/iron and ironing boards available upon request, next time you stay with us just let us know at check in! Cheers!
Vancouver, Washington, USA
Reviewed June 14, 2013

So got a deal off of yelp. This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. The beds were soooooo hard I could not sleep, there was no mini fridge in room or microwave, no soda/snack machines. The only thing good about this hotel was the bike rentals for free. No coffee maker in room or breakfast. I usually stay at rodeway in long beach and it is much much cheaper and has all of the above mentioned things and the beds are more comfy. This hotel is a rip off, even with my yelp deal I still would have rather pay full price else where. The testaurant serves over priced drinks even on happy hour and the food looks good but wasn't tasty. Would never ever stay here again

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Jessicadruet
Mollie C, Guest Relations Manager at Adrift Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thanks for sending in a review, we are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. The rooms that came with the yelp deal were our basic queen rooms, and those rooms do not have a fridge. There are however microwaves on the common area spaces for you to use. We did offer upgrades on the yelp deal to our other building which does have fridges in the rooms. Glad you enjoyed the complimentary bikes in our lobby! We have coffee makers upon request and would have gladly brought one up to you if you had requested it. All of the issues you had our competent staff would have been happy to help with if it had been brought to our attention. Thank you for letting us know about your stay, it always helps us improve on guest experience.
Portland OR
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I got a great deal on an Ocean View King through Living Social. The room was on the fourth floor of the west building and as promised, had a great view. I was prepared for the ecofriendly minimalistic vibe of the place so that wasn't disappointing to me.

Pros: Complimentary use of beach crusier bikes for as long as you'd like (trust me, it was awesome), proximity to the beach and the Discovery Trail, wireless internet, super comfy bed, great quality organic bath products, complimentary fair trade tea & coffee in the lobby, great selection of local microbrews and wine for sale in the lobby, lots of dogs to pet (also awesome), and an on site restaurant which was very convenient, well priced and tasty. Both the food and service were very good!

Cons: lack of attention to detail regarding small things in the room that needed fixing (spackle on the wall that hasn't been repainted, super ugly spot on the ceiling that needs finishing, the wood platform for the bed has a piece of wood that's kind of sticking out and would gouge the hell out of someone). Additionally, the towels weren't especially soft and felt cheaply made and cleanliness is an issue - the room could use a good THOROUGH cleaning.

Noise wasn't an problem for us because we were on the top floor but while checking out a bike in the lobby, another couple was inquiring if there would be music that night as there had been the previous evening. They were on the 2nd floor directly under the restaurant (where the bands play) and said it was very loud and that they couldn't imagine what it was like to be in a room on the third floor. The front desk clerk seemed totally unconcerned. Maybe because the music ends nightly at 10 pm.so for me, that wouldn't be a big deal but clearly for some it is.

The room I stayed in usually goes for $140-$160 and had I paid that, I would have expected a more upscale experience. I like the concept but feel the execution is a bit lacking. For a few dollars more in the right places, Adrift could be a homerun.

Room Tip: The fourth floor of the west building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yslandgyrl
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. So glad you enjoyed your rooms and the amenities we offer here at Adrift! I do appreciate your comments about the touches that can be done on the room, we will be sending maintenance through our entire top floor to make sure those finishing details are complete. We do advise all our guests in the alcove rooms about the live music, and if they are bothered at all by it we move them if we have rooms available. We always give advance notice so the guests know what to expect. Again, we thank you for your comments and hope to see you at Adrift again soon.
Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We got a Groupon deal for our room which was what "sold" us on this place (to begin with). Its very basic, nothing fancy at all. Contemporary, simplistic design which I find as "cute". With our Groupon deal, we received a "bonfire kit" (they said on the website that it comes with wine but they mustve changed that because they gave us beer instead and wouldn't let us switch it for wine) - which came with s'mores makings. We also enjoyed their specialty shampoo, conditioner, and lotion available in the room - not allowed to take home but is available to buy in the lobby. They also have bikes to rent and a great boardwalk and bike bath to check out too. Overall, we are very pleased with our experience. (The walls are thin - just an FYI.) I am looking forward to coming back again someday.

• Stayed June 2013
Cannery Pier Hotel
#1 of 14 in Astoria
Best Western Long Beach Inn
Breakers Hotel and Condo Suites

Been to Adrift Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!