“A nice hotel -- at a very good price”

Adrift Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed January 7, 2013

As some of the other reviewers have said, the decor at Adrift Hotel is a little plain and rustic. There is no carpeting on the floors and the furniture is simple, but functional. The shelves seem to be old wooden crates. The chairs are made of metal with no padding -- but are pretty comfortable nevertheless.

I was a little worried that the mattress hardness would be to firm for my wife's taste, but it is some type of memory foam and she says that it is the most comfortable motel bed that we've ever slept on! The hotel has a good selection of DVDs available to watch free on the relatively small flat screen TV -- something nice on a rainy January day. The free WiFi works fine -- we've connected both Android tablets and a Linux netbook to it without any issues.

Our room was on the second floor with a great view out at the Pacific Ocean.

They have their own restaurant, The Pickled Fish, that also had a great view.

We'd not hesitate to stay here again on our next visit to Long Beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We bought a Groupon for Adrift not knowing what to expect and never having been to Long Beach for much time. We were so happy with the cutting-edge modern but luxurious amenities at the hotel (they made me a French press of coffee when I requested decaf!!, and I love the organic lotion/soap line in the rooms!), and Long Beach was the perfect quiet spot for a weekend getaway in June in the Pacific Northwest. It was clear and sunny, we got very lucky, and we were so excited to ride the fun bikes around the town. What a perfect little vacation spot. We also really loved the trendy, quality natural-inspired modern decor in the lobby and restaurant--I took lots of beautiful photos while there, and had plenty of drool-worthy Instagram material--and loved the homey feel of the place with its board games and DVDs for borrowing in the lobby, and very friendly staff.

We came home and raved to our friends and family, and are very happy to have received a gift certificate for another stay at Adrift as a gift from my parents. We're coming next weekend and I am looking forward to a very peaceful, rejuvenating "reading vacation" since who knows what the weather will be like. Maybe we'll visit the spa!

Absolutely recommend to anyone looking for a peaceful getaway without the anonymity and predictability of a boring chain hotel. Of course, those with environmentalism interests or a love of local, quality food and goods will benefit extra--as will those of you who, like me, love West Elm and grey and organic beer (sold in the lobby!!). Definitely a fantastic deal from Groupon, LivingSocial, etc. and the specials they advertise on their Facebook page and email list are great, too. Really enjoyed this place and look forward to seeing them thrive and grow in the future--and will come back many times over the years!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzannah S
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was a very pleasant stay in a great location. The room was clean and inviting, and if you go to the web site first, you'll know what to expect. I've read the other reviews, and folks who complain the room is "spartan" or lacking obviously didn't do their homework. Yes, there are no dressers and big cabinets like you see in chain hotels. But the room has everything needed for comfort, including a TV, DVD player (with lots of free DVD's in the office), nice toiletries, etc. A couple of cautions and areas of improvement: 1) know where you're room is going to be. We were in the East Building, but the view was actually straight out towards the beach/ocean, so didn't mind being next to the parking lot; 2) water pressure in the shower varied a bit from hot/cold; 3) not particularly noisy to me, but the supplied earplugs were a nice touch. Also, the place is dog-friends, which we appreciated, very eco-friendly (their theme for the hotel) and the Pickled Fish restaurant had great drinks and tasty food. The staff was friendly and helpful and the lobby is very inviting with dog treats, good coffee and tea and a fireplace.

Room Tip: East building rooms have good views, but a short walk to the lobby instead of being in the right bui...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I should have known by the less than enthusiastic welcome we recieved to lower my expectations. The room was beyond spartan and sterile. Nothing in the room was inviting or appealing. We had the feeling of being bamboozled, from the moment we walked in. It was clear every expense WAS spared in furnishing the room, which had a futon style bed with dips; rough unfinished boxes for a nightstand and shelf; a small sink/counter space that could barely contain our few toiletries; a shower/tub that was stained and provided very little water flow; paint splatters on the uncovered thermostat; marked up walls; missing floor coverings in the hall outside our room; and not a single throw rug of any sort on the barren, cold vinyl covered floor. The entire ambiance of the room was one of a neglected, drafty and empty space. Although the hotel had very few guests, the walls were so thin that we spent most of our 2 night stay listening to a screaming, not crying, child, both day and night. When we called regarding not being able to access wifi, their immmediate response was that it must be our problem, and we should adjust our firewall, anti virus, etc. When I indicated I traveled all over the world for a living, and had NEVER had a problem with my iPad, only then did they begrudingly agree to send a maintenance man to reset the modum. Our experience was IMMEDIATELY DEPRESSING! We had stayed once before, at their sister hotel, The Inn at Discovery, which was nicely decorated and provided a warm and welcoming experience. We will NEVER AGAIN spend our money on this property! Don't bother!

Room Tip: STAY AWAY!!!! Not a good buy, at any level!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lemmel2
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I booked a full view room and found myself looking right into the building of their other hotel. I was told to stand to the side, adjust my chair and I'd have a good view! No offer for compensation or adjustment to the bill. They also host an extremely loud zumba class 3 days a week and my room shook during the entire class. I would not return as looking at another building with a loud zumba class is not my idea of a restful weekend at the beach.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the Discovery Coast property might be worth the money and the drive. Otherwis...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel has been remodeled. The view from many of the rooms of the ocean is breathtaking. There is a nice 7 mile bike/walking path right in front as well as a short boardwalk with information kiosks. Bikes are free at the hotel. The restaurant was great, especially the hamburger and fish and chips. Superb! Good selection of draft beer. The only drawback is that there isn't carpet on the floors and the folks above us were very noisy. Get a room on the 3rd or top floor to avoid this. No elevator, however, but the exercise will do you good.

Room Tip: Choose one on the top floor with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2012

A very "Eurpean" hotel. the term "Spartan" would be overly generous. We stayed in a mostly empty room, save for the bed and steel chairs, but it had a great view and the price was excellent. Some people might call the creative use of used building materials....well....creative. Some might call it cheap. It was an adventure for us.....now I know what to expect....I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple