“The good, the bad and the really annoying!”

Adrift Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Portland, Oregon
“The good, the bad and the really annoying!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The desk was friendly at check in and handed us four micro brews as part of the deal. Seemed nice except the beers were warm and there are no fridges in the room, huh? The room was nice size, nice view, great location. That is all that I can say good about it. One metal chair was the only place to sit except on one of the beds. Only one luggge holder so we used one bed for a suitcase since there is no table, dresser or anything else to put it on. There is one night stand between the 2 beds so one of us had to put things on the floor. Couldn't read in bed since there is only the one wall light between the 2 beds. Laminate floors make yoga or sit ups impossible. But the worse thing about the floors is the NOISE! We could hear every footstep above us and felt bad for those below us who were listening to our dog's nails on the floor! Eco friendly recycling bins with no place to recycle paper! The wi-fi never worked in the room not matter how many times we told the desk and they reset it. Great location I hope they can get it together but won't return until I hear things have changed and its quiet!

2 Thank tjb5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Portland, OR
Reviewed June 13, 2012

So I knew what to expect based on photos and other reviews...but there was this part of me that hoped for more. I like to think I am a laid back and open minded traveler. We prefer small boutique hotels without the fuss. We don't even have issue with lack of electricity, running water or a bathroom in the room (past hotels we stayed at that I have given high reviews for).

The Good:
Location - easy beach access, discovery trail, and cape disappointment park.
Onsite dining - separate review (4 stars).
Amenities - Free use of bikes, good coffee, games, and nice selection of snacks and wine.
Overall concept and view (color's and design good - execution BAD, the lobby and restaurant have a more finished professional feel.)

The Bad:
Loud - This is the loudest hotel I have ever stayed at and I travel a lot! Even compared to traveling in budget hotels in Europe with paper thin walls. We were on the 3rd Floor Ocean Front King which is directly under the restaurant - and that was not the loud part. We could hear everything our neighbors said. We whispered while we were in our room.

So called memory foam mattress - I am sure it had memory foam in it, but it was not what I expected based on what I have slept on and my own bed. We had a king bed and there was a large bump in the middle so my husband and I had to sleep far apart on opposite sides in these little pockets/divots. Not so romantic...

Execution of the rooms - We totally love the DIY/Recycled idea but unfortunately the craftsmanship was lacking. We don't have kids, but we both said we would be scared to bring young kids here. The crates were not sanded, so risk of splinters (got a few myself). The metal around the console table for the TV was lifted up so the rough metal edge is exposed (risk of cuts). The top of a button fell off a chair exposing a sharp staple that ripped by shirt and scraped my back. The bathroom did not seem finished, the flooring had large gaps exposing the sub-floor (hope it is concrete as there was no calk around the tub).

The Meh...
The staff - not bad, nor good. I think they seemed overwhelmed with all the traffic from the various deals they have been sending out. I am sure they also get a lot of complaints. We tend to keep to ourselves and unless something is horribly wrong we don't burden hotel staff since there is little they can do, they don't own the place.

The Breakfast - I would not spend $18 for what you get. I would just bring my own stuff.

Value - We, as many people probably came here as part of a living social deal. The price paid for 2 nights, pizza, beer, chocolate, and breakfast was a good deal, but I would not pay full price to stay here.

Room Tip: 4th Floor Ocean View - Most likely they are the quietest
3 Thank NWlivin
B.C., Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We bought a Groupon deal for this hotel, we had to upgrade as all the Groupon rooms were booked so the time we paid for the upgrade it wasn't that much of a deal! . The hotel was very different but I must say very clean, the bed was very comfortable ,bathroom spotless. I had read reviews obout how noisy it was but we never heard a thing ,very quiet.Our room was on the 4 th floor and had a beautiful view of the beach. The staff were very nice ,coffee great and I thought the the shampoo and Conditioner were the best I have ever had in a hotel,I much prefer the pump bottles .
The hotel was close to the beach and also to the main street in town. The one thing we were" disappointed about was all the restaurants we had planned to eat on were closed,we did eat Roo and it was really good and one morning we had breakfast at Laurie's ,we had a seafood omelet that was to die for ,we shared it as the portions were huge ,it is only open for breakfast. All in all it was a nice break .

Room Tip: Room 421 in the new building is great
3 Thank prim1
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Just got home from an overnight at Adrift and had a great stay. The hotel is simple... if the design were in any other hotel, I would hate it, but at Adrift = IT WORKS. It's different (in a good way) from anything/everything in the area... from the building to the restaurant ... organic bathroom products and coffee/ fruit infused water all day long, bikes-a-plenty and you really can't get any closer to the ocean, no really you literally cannot get any closer. I will admit it was a little noisy, but nothing that would stop me from staying again. Their team is really nice and pretty laid back, but not in a "I DON'T CARE" way - more in a "Help yourself, the fridge is stocked - mi casa es su casa - way. All in all I had a great stay and truly enjoyed my time at the coast. Thank you Adrift Team!

Room Tip: Go for an Ocean Front or Ocean View Room that way even if you're inside you can still enjoy the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank rcseattle
Yakima, WA
Reviewed June 10, 2012

The hotel is very clean and extremely Eco friendly (not important to me, just wanted to throw it out there for those who do care). They are VERY catering towards animals and are super friendly and helpful. Inside the lobby you can find drinks of all sorts, games, DVDs and free bike rentals. There is a great trail right outside of the hotel. A bar/restaurant sits on the 4th floor and had great service and a fun staff as well.

All in all I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely come back again. I say convenience at its finest because they have everything within walking distance. The beach, trails, food, drinks, etc.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank NateCooper84
Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

The basic Eco decor is fine, but the lack of comfort is too much. If they had put insulation in to keep the noise down I would add a couple points. This was a one time stay. When spending well over $100 I expect a good nights sleep. We could hear the neighbors above, below, and beside us. Plan on not sleeping before 11 and waking up before 6. Avoid the 2nd floor of the west building. The game room adds even more noise. I expect a beach town hotel to be sandy, so the dirt didn't surprise me. Oh, and we were promised a second room key, but never could get it. It was a pain to share 1 key when we split up. It's been a long time since I've stayed at a place that made me consider checking out and going somewhere else even though I'd be charged twice. Well, that streak is over.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank PNWMR
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I love Adrift for its inventive interior design, modesty and guest-centredness. In my opinion, Adrift compensates very well for any of the reported flaws (thin walls). This is how small hotels show their charm:
a) Bikes, games, DVDs and books available for guest use.
b) All-day refreshments (great coffee, tea and water), well-chosen music and reading material (the Atlantic) in the lobby
c) Personable and accommodating front desk staff that are prepared with everything you need (hair dryers, corkscrews, earplugs, advil).
If you are a design lover, you’ll appreciate the rustic industrial finishings, the retro bed sconces, and the feature fixture at scapece, the onsite restaurant. The food (pizza), service and views at scapece were exceptional. We also were impressed with the fresh oj, freshly baked scones, yogurt and fruit placed at our door before 9am.
My do’s?
- Request a room in the main (oceanfront) building
- Take a bike ride along the ocean
- Eat dinner at scapece
- Have a coffee in the lobby
- Fly a kite on the beach
- Order a smores kit (or BYO) for an evening beach fire