“It's your luck what you get”

and 1 more site!
Breakers Hotel and Condo Suites
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed February 20, 2006

We took a spontaneous trip during the President's Day weekend. We booked an oceanview room just 5 hrs before we drove up and the best part was that its pet-friendly which is a boon for such trips. The room was above average and we got what we paid for. The reviews that mention this is more a condo with some units owned by a association are true. All the rooms are not up for grabs and truly this cant be called a hotel so its really your luck. The room we stayed in was owned by the Lock family was which was indeed "home away from home" Everything was clean and well maintained. So if an owner chooses not to upgrade rooms you are in trouble ! The walk to the beach was 5-8 mins. Internet hotspots were great.

The indoor pool however was way too small and crowded for the time of the year. I guess if we were to take a trip in summer we may/not experience problems the others mentioned about. If you need to stay there pay more and stay in the rooms with a kitchen and the ocean view (not a complete view, more a peek-a-boo kind from the 2nd flr but still nice and airy) If you need more details pls mail us at ----

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank darkchocdiva

Lafayette, CO
Reviewed September 19, 2005

The Breakers is not a true hotel in the sense that most people expect. Units are actually condos that have an association that rents them out much like hotel rooms & suites. The BIG difference is that individual owners choose to update their units or NOT. When I arrived to stay in a suite, it was most definitely not like the pictures on the website of the one bedroom suites. Very old and outdated furniture in not very good condition. The front desk was very nice and helpful in finding a one bedroom that was like a hotel room. This room was on second floor and well maintained. View was great and walk to the beach was easy. Definitely a good location but you need to ask what kind of condition the unit is in that you are renting. There can be big difference in the quality of the units. Very nice and quiet complex. In fact, I'm buying a townhouse nearby since I really liked the location.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Renton, Washington
Reviewed April 3, 2005

The Breakers just put in Wireless Internet; and...it's FREE for guests! You get a user id and password from the office. It is valid for the length of your stay. I was able to check my email using my laptop from my room with ease. Hot spots are available everywhere. I could surf the net from the gazebo (while watching my kids play on the "Big Toy") or at any of the benches on the grounds. Check it out! It's Great!

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 5, 2005

The Breakers have sent to me directly in the mail two years in a row, a coupon good for a one bedroom suite, at a discounted rate of 79.00 a night for a room that normally cost 179.00!!! This should be a really great deal and obviously is sent to promote their hotel to fill it during the off season. This is sent at the end of February, and you have until June 29 to use it. It says on the coupon, you cannot use it with any other special offers or packages, and is not valid during certain weekends, holidays or special events. What it doesn't say is the person who answers the phone number given on the coupon will be excessively rude, that there will be NO available weekends in the 4 months you can use the coupon, and she specifically said, "this coupon is for during the week". well, guess what? I can get a discounted rate at any of the hotels at Long Beach during the week (I work!, duh), and I wouldn't stay at the Breakers just because of the excessively rude attitude and the feeling that I was trying to get something I shouldn't when THEY sent the coupon to me! (by the way I was trying to get a room sometime in June, but then I relented and asked if there was a weekend at any time between now (March 6) and June 29th, that is when she said it was for during the week. Then don't send the coupon.

6  Thank flwrgrdn
Bellevue, WA
Reviewed September 6, 2004

The hotel is not all it appears to be. When my wife and I were looking for a place to stay in Long Beach, we wanted a suite at a hotel that overlooked the ocean, that felt like a regular hotel (like Hilton or Marriott), and that had regular things you'd expect for a hotel. After going to The Breakers website, I was convinced this was the one. No other hotels got great reviews in the area, so I figured the suite at this place, at $160/night, was what I wanted.

Unfortunately, I only got $80 worth of what I paid. There was no TV in the bedroom, there was a horrible ocean view, there was no free continental breakfast, a small drive from downtown (instead of being right in downtown), a Queen bed instead of a King, and no hot tub in the room, just to name a few problems. In fact, the first night I was there I couldn't even find a parking spot and had to park on the side of the road.

I think the thing that turned us off the most though was that the hotel is actually an apartment complex. Half the people that were there actually lived there and we got a noise complaint from the front office at 1am just because out TV was on because of the thin walls. I left my apartment in Bellevue, WA just so I could take a vacation in another apartment in Long Beach, WA. At a total of $350 for our two-night trip, we could have used that for our apartment back home.

There are good things though... there is a beautiful lawn where kids can play, the apartment hotel room would be great for large families or groups of people, and the ocean is only a nice 4 minute walk away. I did feel "at home" at this place and it was a nice feeling, but I wanted to feel more like I was "on vacation" instead.

I could have used the money I spent on this place to get a much better hotel in downtown Seattle for a 2-day getaway instead of this. Overall, the "hotel" is OK but next time I'll choose a different hotel.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 9, 2004

Sitting on our balcony of our lovely, clean room with a beautiful view of the dunes and the ocean, my husband and I breathed a sigh of relief. THIS was the relaxing beach vacation we'd hoped for.
Yes, our relief was partially because we'd escaped an icky experience at the Sou'Wester and lucked into a room at The Breakers because of a cancellation.
The people who cancelled the Breakers room apparently left because of too much noise -- same complaint as some other reviewers here. But honestly, I'm pretty sensitive to noise and wasn't bothered at all. Sure there were kids there, but it's not like they were running through the halls at 6 a.m. The loudest noise came from the seabirds outside our windows in the morning!
The room was great, bathroom clean, we had a pet-friendly unit with a kitchen which was very nice. And I don't think you can beat the proximity to the beach! The view, as noted above, is great from every third-floor room. For $109, the same price as the cabin from hell we escaped, it was well worth the price.
I would definitely reccomend The Breakers to anyone, and if I return to Long Beach I would definitely stay here again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2004

We were there May 2004.
I read the previous reports and I'm sorry to read that they did not like the Breakers. We were there during the "off" season, and we had a very pleasant stay.
I understand about the noisy neighbors, we heard ours too. The walls are thin.
Our room was on the second floor overlooking the greenbelt/picnic area. We thought our room was clean, it had a balcony with chairs, a small table/chairs in the room with a Queen bed, small fridge, and a small second bedroom with twin bed, a TV and VCR. I thought the bathroom was small, with shower only, but it was clean and everything worked.
We enjoyed the walk to the beach and we loved watching the sunsets...that to us was romantic.
We were there on a Thurs, Fri, Sat and we both thought we'd hate to see the hotel and the town during high/summer season. There was an influx of people on the weekend and traffic got congested so I imagine in the high season, it's worse. All in all we had a good time, we did not spend a ton of time in our room, but we had fun and enjoyed our stay at the Breakers.

3  Thank jaydjm