“Rude, don't honor their personalized coupons”

and 1 more site!
Breakers Hotel and Condo Suites
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Washington State
“Rude, don't honor their personalized coupons”
Reviewed March 5, 2005

The Breakers have sent to me directly in the mail two years in a row, a coupon good for a one bedroom suite, at a discounted rate of 79.00 a night for a room that normally cost 179.00!!! This should be a really great deal and obviously is sent to promote their hotel to fill it during the off season. This is sent at the end of February, and you have until June 29 to use it. It says on the coupon, you cannot use it with any other special offers or packages, and is not valid during certain weekends, holidays or special events. What it doesn't say is the person who answers the phone number given on the coupon will be excessively rude, that there will be NO available weekends in the 4 months you can use the coupon, and she specifically said, "this coupon is for during the week". well, guess what? I can get a discounted rate at any of the hotels at Long Beach during the week (I work!, duh), and I wouldn't stay at the Breakers just because of the excessively rude attitude and the feeling that I was trying to get something I shouldn't when THEY sent the coupon to me! (by the way I was trying to get a room sometime in June, but then I relented and asked if there was a weekend at any time between now (March 6) and June 29th, that is when she said it was for during the week. Then don't send the coupon.

6 Thank flwrgrdn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed September 6, 2004

The hotel is not all it appears to be. When my wife and I were looking for a place to stay in Long Beach, we wanted a suite at a hotel that overlooked the ocean, that felt like a regular hotel (like Hilton or Marriott), and that had regular things you'd expect for a hotel. After going to The Breakers website, I was convinced this was the one. No other hotels got great reviews in the area, so I figured the suite at this place, at $160/night, was what I wanted.

Unfortunately, I only got $80 worth of what I paid. There was no TV in the bedroom, there was a horrible ocean view, there was no free continental breakfast, a small drive from downtown (instead of being right in downtown), a Queen bed instead of a King, and no hot tub in the room, just to name a few problems. In fact, the first night I was there I couldn't even find a parking spot and had to park on the side of the road.

I think the thing that turned us off the most though was that the hotel is actually an apartment complex. Half the people that were there actually lived there and we got a noise complaint from the front office at 1am just because out TV was on because of the thin walls. I left my apartment in Bellevue, WA just so I could take a vacation in another apartment in Long Beach, WA. At a total of $350 for our two-night trip, we could have used that for our apartment back home.

There are good things though... there is a beautiful lawn where kids can play, the apartment hotel room would be great for large families or groups of people, and the ocean is only a nice 4 minute walk away. I did feel "at home" at this place and it was a nice feeling, but I wanted to feel more like I was "on vacation" instead.

I could have used the money I spent on this place to get a much better hotel in downtown Seattle for a 2-day getaway instead of this. Overall, the "hotel" is OK but next time I'll choose a different hotel.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 9, 2004

Sitting on our balcony of our lovely, clean room with a beautiful view of the dunes and the ocean, my husband and I breathed a sigh of relief. THIS was the relaxing beach vacation we'd hoped for.
Yes, our relief was partially because we'd escaped an icky experience at the Sou'Wester and lucked into a room at The Breakers because of a cancellation.
The people who cancelled the Breakers room apparently left because of too much noise -- same complaint as some other reviewers here. But honestly, I'm pretty sensitive to noise and wasn't bothered at all. Sure there were kids there, but it's not like they were running through the halls at 6 a.m. The loudest noise came from the seabirds outside our windows in the morning!
The room was great, bathroom clean, we had a pet-friendly unit with a kitchen which was very nice. And I don't think you can beat the proximity to the beach! The view, as noted above, is great from every third-floor room. For $109, the same price as the cabin from hell we escaped, it was well worth the price.
I would definitely reccomend The Breakers to anyone, and if I return to Long Beach I would definitely stay here again.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed June 30, 2004

We were there May 2004.
I read the previous reports and I'm sorry to read that they did not like the Breakers. We were there during the "off" season, and we had a very pleasant stay.
I understand about the noisy neighbors, we heard ours too. The walls are thin.
Our room was on the second floor overlooking the greenbelt/picnic area. We thought our room was clean, it had a balcony with chairs, a small table/chairs in the room with a Queen bed, small fridge, and a small second bedroom with twin bed, a TV and VCR. I thought the bathroom was small, with shower only, but it was clean and everything worked.
We enjoyed the walk to the beach and we loved watching the sunsets...that to us was romantic.
We were there on a Thurs, Fri, Sat and we both thought we'd hate to see the hotel and the town during high/summer season. There was an influx of people on the weekend and traffic got congested so I imagine in the high season, it's worse. All in all we had a good time, we did not spend a ton of time in our room, but we had fun and enjoyed our stay at the Breakers.

3 Thank jaydjm
Reviewed April 21, 2004

We stayed at The Breakers for an anniversary weekend and were very disappointed. We had very noisy neighboors who ruined our trip! Also our phone in the room did not even work. Not worth the price and NOT romantic!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 22, 2004

I have stayed at the Breakers with one other adult and with a group of 12 and each time have found it to be a great experiance. I liked how they were pet friendly allowing us to spend our holiday with our two large dogs. Upon arrival, the staff even handed out doggie treats.

What I like most about Breakers is the location. Its very close to the beach (maybe a 2 minute walk on a cute path through the dunes) but far enough away that the dunes break some of that stong misty ocean wind (Washington beach goers know what I'm talking about!) that can make sitting outside at night chilly and a little unpleasant.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 25, 2003

I could not disagree more with the previous statement. I have been staying at the Breakers twice a year for 5 years now ever since I went there for a conference. The conference facilities are not large but the personal service we received from every staff member was great. Now I bring my whole family, sometimes on our summer trip we have a gathering of 25 or more people. I just wanted to say the Breakers is a wonderful place and we will be guests there for many years to come.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member