“The Breakers was fabulous”

and 1 more site!
Breakers Hotel and Condo Suites
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed August 9, 2004

Sitting on our balcony of our lovely, clean room with a beautiful view of the dunes and the ocean, my husband and I breathed a sigh of relief. THIS was the relaxing beach vacation we'd hoped for.
Yes, our relief was partially because we'd escaped an icky experience at the Sou'Wester and lucked into a room at The Breakers because of a cancellation.
The people who cancelled the Breakers room apparently left because of too much noise -- same complaint as some other reviewers here. But honestly, I'm pretty sensitive to noise and wasn't bothered at all. Sure there were kids there, but it's not like they were running through the halls at 6 a.m. The loudest noise came from the seabirds outside our windows in the morning!
The room was great, bathroom clean, we had a pet-friendly unit with a kitchen which was very nice. And I don't think you can beat the proximity to the beach! The view, as noted above, is great from every third-floor room. For $109, the same price as the cabin from hell we escaped, it was well worth the price.
I would definitely reccomend The Breakers to anyone, and if I return to Long Beach I would definitely stay here again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 30, 2004

We were there May 2004.
I read the previous reports and I'm sorry to read that they did not like the Breakers. We were there during the "off" season, and we had a very pleasant stay.
I understand about the noisy neighbors, we heard ours too. The walls are thin.
Our room was on the second floor overlooking the greenbelt/picnic area. We thought our room was clean, it had a balcony with chairs, a small table/chairs in the room with a Queen bed, small fridge, and a small second bedroom with twin bed, a TV and VCR. I thought the bathroom was small, with shower only, but it was clean and everything worked.
We enjoyed the walk to the beach and we loved watching the sunsets...that to us was romantic.
We were there on a Thurs, Fri, Sat and we both thought we'd hate to see the hotel and the town during high/summer season. There was an influx of people on the weekend and traffic got congested so I imagine in the high season, it's worse. All in all we had a good time, we did not spend a ton of time in our room, but we had fun and enjoyed our stay at the Breakers.

3  Thank jaydjm
Reviewed April 21, 2004

We stayed at The Breakers for an anniversary weekend and were very disappointed. We had very noisy neighboors who ruined our trip! Also our phone in the room did not even work. Not worth the price and NOT romantic!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 22, 2004

I have stayed at the Breakers with one other adult and with a group of 12 and each time have found it to be a great experiance. I liked how they were pet friendly allowing us to spend our holiday with our two large dogs. Upon arrival, the staff even handed out doggie treats.

What I like most about Breakers is the location. Its very close to the beach (maybe a 2 minute walk on a cute path through the dunes) but far enough away that the dunes break some of that stong misty ocean wind (Washington beach goers know what I'm talking about!) that can make sitting outside at night chilly and a little unpleasant.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 25, 2003

I could not disagree more with the previous statement. I have been staying at the Breakers twice a year for 5 years now ever since I went there for a conference. The conference facilities are not large but the personal service we received from every staff member was great. Now I bring my whole family, sometimes on our summer trip we have a gathering of 25 or more people. I just wanted to say the Breakers is a wonderful place and we will be guests there for many years to come.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 25, 2003

We made reservations about a year prior to going. We reserved two suits each able to sleep eight. We got there and we received one suit able to sleep eight and the other able to sleep six. We went to the Manager hoping to fix the simple problem. The appeared to say it was not his problem and he had other customers to deal with to step aside. As we stood there in shock, we realized sence we had a problem with the suit, he rent out one side of it to another couple, so now we are down to two beds. We were very unhappy and said no you are going to help us we have forked out alot of money on these rooms and want what we requested. By the time we were done we ended up with another romm two floors up from where our group was staying. We went to check out with the understanding there would be no additional charge, but to our surprise, no there was an additional charge. He said one thing and did another and then made his rude receptionist do the dirty work, because he was no where to be found. We a group of 13 will never be back.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 25, 2003

We made reservations at The Breaker, from the time we checked in we were treated very rude. The Manager was very uncoporative on fixing the booking problem. All we asked is that he fix the mistake they had made or make equal arrangements for what we had originally reserved a year ago. We had made reservations for two suits, each with room to sleep eight. We received one room that could sleep eight and another that could sleep six. So we asked for a role away saying we will make do if you have a roll away. They don't carry such a thing. Than we asked for another suit, and as we sat there asking for these things they rented our accommidations that we were in right in front of us. So now we were down to two beds. The Manager was so rude, that it was not his problem it appeared. Well we were not done we needed two more beds, so we were not leaving until we got what we needed. We preceeded until the Manager gave us another room clear up two floors away from where the rest of our party was staying and then charged us more for those rooms, which was not the understanding when we agreed to taking the rooms. First it was their mistake and we said ok we will take this room, but at the prices we were quoted when we made our reservations a year ago. He said no problem, but when we went to check out he had his receptionist charge us more, and he was no where to be found. We were very upset at the service we received at this hotel. We were a group of 13 and will not be back to The Breaker ever.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member