“Don't Be Deceived By Old Motel Perceptions” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Obertal Inn

Obertal Inn
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Leavenworth
Mount Dora, Florida
“Don't Be Deceived By Old Motel Perceptions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is not a hotel I would normally select. It is old. It has exterior entrances for each room. It is a three story property with no elevators. The hot tub is not working. The breakfast room is too small for the guests. The bathrooms are small. I knew all of these things going in because I read the TA reviews. Still, we made our plans at the last minute, and this was the only hotel with a vacancy. So we decided we could endure anything for one night, and off we went.

Almost everything about this hotel was a pleasant surprise. Check-in was quick and easy, in spite of the fact that we never received the email confirmation they had promised. The parking is tight, but very convenient to the hotel rooms and the town in general.

There are 28 steep, concrete and wooden stairs to reach the third floor. I have restricted mobility so it was difficult for me. I did not, however, ask for a room on a lower floor because I did not want to here noise from the ceiling all night. No one else had a problem with the stairs, and the grandchildren kept my need to go up and down to a minimum.

The rooms were well maintained and attractive. Everything was immaculately clean. The linens were in good shape. We appreciate the sink being separate from the bathtub and toilet when traveling with our family. There is a nice flat screen TV attached to the wall. The beds were comfortable, and there were plenty of pillows. There is also a microwave and a small refrigerator.

Because the hotel is older there were not enough electrical outlets for all the devices we carry, but we did manage to get everything charged. Since this is also often a problem in newer hotels it would be nice if every hotel just provided a charging station.

There is a lovely little terrace on the second floor, and had we stayed longer I am sure we would have enjoyed sitting here in the evening with a glass of wine and a game. The defunct hot tub is behind this little terrace.

Breakfast is served between 7:30 and 10:00am in a tiny area near the registration desk. There are five tables which each seat three people. The buffet area is also very cramped. I assumed we would probably skip breakfast at the hotel because of the physical situation. We looked it over and decided to stay. They have a waffle machine, which is always popular with our family. In addition they offered strawberries, blueberries or apples as waffle toppings. The apple topping with a little drizzle of caramel syrup is very tasty. They also have cereal, toast, boiled eggs, yogurt, orange juice, milk and coffee. We had a very lovely breakfast. We did not attempt to eat until 9:30am, and by the time all of our waffles were made there was table space for all five of us. I would note that they remove the food promptly at 10:00am.

The hotel staff is friendly and helpful. We left out car in the parking lot after checking out so we could stroll through the town without finding a parking place. Finding parking in downtown Leavenworth is a serious challenge. The location of this hotel results in my awarding of extra points. It is just right in the center of everything.

We enjoyed a clean, fairly stylish, comfortable room in a convenient location. The staff was pleasant and the breakfast tasty.

My only negative observation is that our room was $240 for one night. I am not used to paying these rates for a hotel of this age and level of amenities. I assume that they charge whatever people are willing to pay, and I suppose I was willing to pay this amount. Leavenworth is not a place I would spend more than one night during tourist season, because I won't pay these ridiculous hotel charges except when absolutely necessary.

We went to Leavenworth exclusively to attend a theatre production. The theatre company produces three shows each summer. We would have liked to attend all three of them, but were not willing to spend nearly $700 in hotel expenses, so we limited ourselves to one.

Room Tip: I would recommend the top floor to control noise from rooms above you. Stairs are manageable. If you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Busy-retired

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Lynnwood, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Nice staff and room. Right downtown and you can walk anywhere from hotel. We rented three rooms for the family this week and everyone was happy for their rooms, Good selection of breakfast items while they do not serve till 8 am.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gary B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Obertal Inn is an old hotel with very good services. Our room was clean and spacious (we had a handicapped room because the two bedrooms were upstairs). Parking is a big tight so watch out how you park. The advertised jacuzy was non existent. Breakfast was excellent but I felt it was a late serving (8 am? - most places begin at least at 7 am) You have to get there early to get a table. They sell snacks and wine at the reservation desk as well as postcards with a stamp.
Best thing is the location -- you can walk anywhere in town and still be very close to the hotel. Leavenworth is a charming Bavarian town and the multiple shops have different merchandise. It is great to sit after dinner in the main square and watch people and eat ice cream (everyone else is eating ice cream). Don't miss the Nutcracker Museum!

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room.
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank amuy
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the Obertal Inn 2 nights and had the best rest ever. I would have loved to take the beds home with us. The room was extremely clean and we were within a couple of blocks of Leavenworth's shopping district. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Any time we are in Leavenworth we will definitely stay at the Obertal.

1 Thank ExTex
Helena, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I spent one night at the Obertal Inn this last week. It was a good experience. The Obertal was within walking distance is everything we wanted to see. The room was very clean and the staff was wonderful. Yes, it is an older Inn, but we were very comfortable.

Room Tip: There are no elevators. So if you can't climb stairs I would recommend to get a room on the fir...
2 Thank curt5971
Camas, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The breakfast with all the fresh fruit toppings is delicious. The property is older- but they do a good job of keeping it in good condition. If you have trouble with stairs be sure and request a first floor room, as most of the rooms are upstairs. There is a mini refrigerator and microwave in the rooms -and that is helpful if you like a snack at night. The property is right in town and out of the 5 places we have stayed in Leavenworth over the years my Husband like this one the best because of the location. You are just a block or two away from all the restaurants, shops -and even just a couple blocks to the inside venue for their "Summer - and Winter" Theater. We had a great rest -and enjoyed being there for 3 nights. The rooms are a bit small say for 4 people to stay very long. They have a nice new flat screen TV in the room with 2 queen beds and one comfy chair. To get more space you will have to look up on the highway with more walking distance to everything in Leavenworth. The room with only one bed is the same size and has more space for chairs etc.

Room Tip: There are stairs to most of the rooms- so be sure to ask for a first floor room if you have trouble...
2 Thank June S
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very helpful staff.
Very clean rooms.
The building is old and possibly due for freshening.
We stayed on a weekend when the prices are higher so the price seemed a tad high for the quality. I suspect that such is the case for all of Leavenworth though.....
The location is perfect. Easy stroll to anything you want to see yet off the main enough to be tranquil for a good sleep.
Good basic complimentary breakfast .... fresh fruit! ....
I would probably try something a bit newer on a second trip but I would happily go back if I wasn't sure about an alternate choice.