“Great Comfort and Super Host”
Review of Obertal Inn

Obertal Inn
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Leavenworth
Reviewed April 4, 2013

On our recent driving vacation we reserved a room at the Obertal Inn in Leavenworth, Washington. We were kind of wondering what it was going to be like and were pleasantly surprised by a very comfortable room and the most accommadating hostess. She had us on the top floor to begin with but we asked for the ground floor if possible and she made it happen for us. It was a great room with the most comfortable beds that almost made it feel like we were at home climbing into our own bed. The bed just almost swallowed you up in coziness. Breakfast was served up the next morning and there was lots to offer. The view had we have taken the top floor would have been great as there are snow capped mountains off in the distance.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer great views.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed at quite a few hotels in Leavenworth, WA. Some I will stay at again, some I avoid at all costs, lol. The Obertal, however, is a new favorite. I will definitely be staying there again. The room was clean, comfy and homey. I loved the charming facility, also. The "staff" made you feel more like a friend or family member that a "guest" or customer. I highly recommend the lovely establishment.

Room Tip: Call ahead, let them know exactly what you are looking for. I did, and they gave us the perfect room...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I purchased a Groupon for this hotel with intentions of giving it to my parents but they were unable to use it. I live on Vancouver Island, BC and recently planned a 4 day trip to Seattle (been many times) and Leavenworth (never been). The Groupon cost $89 for a King Suite with champagne mimosas. After staying at the Obertal Inn, I'm glad my parents did not receive this as part of their Christmas gift!

Positives:
The 3-hour fire logs provided for burning in the fireplace were warm and cozy; Bed was clean and harder (good for me); Pillows were squishy and comfy; Breakfast was delicious with lots of healthy, fresh, and tasty options!; The tall maintenance? gentleman was very friendly and helpful in assisting us with alternate driving directions as Stevens Pass was closed for avalanche control.

Negatives:
I was disappointed by the dated feel of our top floor (room 404) suite. The kitchenette was located in an awkward narrow closet/hallway beside the bathroom; The overflow drain of the sink was rusted through in a 2" hole; Drain was very slow and backed up just washing hands; Shower head had poor pressure and half the water came out the lower faucet; The tv remote only changed channels seemingly if all the stars and planets were aligned. It was actually the most frustrating part of the evening since there is no "guide" channel to show what is on and you have to just flip through the channels. I nearly threw the remote several times while trying to "relax". The covered parking area provided to guests staying in suites was appreciated but was partly blocked and difficult to get into even with my tiny Pontiac Wave. I had about an inch on either side of my mirrors. It snowed through the night and I would have really liked to have seen the uncovered walkway and stairs from our room shoveled before we went down for breakfast at 915am. I really don't think this is too early to have the walkways cleared for a business considering it is a safety issue. In addition, the hot tub was closed/being redone which was very disappointing to find out on arrival considering I definitely would have enjoyed that ammenity.

Lastly, I was charged $35 in "taxes" on top of the Groupon I'd prepurchased. Clearly this is too much and I will need to call the Obertal Inn to get this straightened out.

I would like to return to Leavenworth when I have more time to take in the town and explore the surrounding area but I would probably try another hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor King suite (#404) was very dated.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Hans M, Owner at Obertal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

We thank this guest for sharing their review on Tripadsvisor. We learn invaluable insight from reviews and appreciate anyone who takes the time and effort to review us.

We feel terrible that this guest did not appreciate our little Inn, but understand some of the concerns. Our two Deluxe Fireplace King rooms are indeed in need of an update and it is slated to take place next year early spring. We will gut those rooms and redo them completely so they are back up to standard.

We are sorry that the remote didn’t work – we don’t know what happened. We were unable to recreate the difficulty with changing the channel. It would irritate the heck out of me as well if the remote acted up.

The snow should have been shoveled earlier and we have discussed this with our staff.

We understand that it is disappointing to not have the hot tub available, however, we are quite certain this guest would have been even more dissatisfied had (s)he experienced our old hot tub. It was 25 years old and was on its last leg. We are spending over $40,000 replacing our hot tub an repairing the deck. Overall this year we will invest an additional $80,000 in upgrading our hotel. In three years’ time we will have spent over $300,000. Unfortunately we can’t do it all at once, otherwise we would.

The taxes on the 1 night groupon are $9.78, which is what this guest was charged.

Hans

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Where else can you get a champagne cocktail (for $3) to sip with your lovely free breakfast? Waffles and big variety of fresh fruit, nuts and other delicious things to add to them or your cereal or yoghurt. Host made great suggestions for restaurants, walks, drives and scenic travel. In fact, everyone we encountered in Leavenworth was very hospitable. Really enjoyed the snow, the magical holiday lights and good, unusual restaurants and food shops. You can walk anywhere from the Obertal and walking is one of the most enjoyable things to do here. Room was spacious and comfortable and I always appreciate it when I can bring my little dog.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Very friendly reception when first arriving, super quiet whenever in our room, and great breakfast. Would certainly stay here again when coming back. Also, easy walk to all the good stuff, like the Icicle Brewing Company.
Chris,
Anacortes

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I stay at the Obertal Inn everytime we are in Leavenworth. Our 5 pound Pomeranian, Sophie, is welcome there as well! The staff is always so friendly, the motel and grounds are always very well kept and clean too. It is close to everything you would ever want to do in Leavenworth, so the car stays in the parking lot the whole time we are there, My husband is a skier, so in the Winter months when we visit, he goes skiing for the day while Sophie and I poke around town(many stores are dog friendly as well). If you are looking for an affordable place for a night or two...or a whole week, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stessielou
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Obertal Inn this past Sunday. It is located just around the corner from downtown in a very quiet location. The employees are friendly and best of all the beds in the rooms are extremely comfortable. Our only disappointment was missing out on the breakfast, not because it wasn't offered but because we had to check out earlier than the time it was offered. On a future stay, which we look forward to, we will plan it so we can stay late enough to enjoy breakfast.

1  Thank WylesFamily