“Poor experience handled very well by the owner”
Review of Obertal Inn

Obertal Inn
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Leavenworth
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I'm writing a very different review than I thought I would as we checked out last week. We were initially quite disappointed, but the owner, Hans Mulder, went out of his way to make us happy.
We have stayed in Leavenworth several times in the past, usually at the Alpen Rose Inn, which is beautiful, but almost a mile walk to the village area. This year we decided we wanted something central so we wouldn't need to drive after wine tasting or walk so far in the snow. I found the Obertal through Google Search and we booked two nights just after Christmas.
When we first walked in the door I was taken aback that the rooms was not what I expected for $200 a night. The room was clean, but pretty basic. It's an older hotel and it shows. I surprised that the fireplace room does not have a real fireplace or even a gas fireplace but an electric one with fake flames. I also mis-read the webpage (my mistake) and I thought that the room came with a jacuzzi tub (which I expected for the price) but it did not.
As I said, the room itself was decent, but very overpriced. I would have expected to pay $100 a night for this room anywhere else, so I guess they get the premium on the location.
The major problem though was the smell--when we walked through the door we were bowled over by the smell of stale cigarette smoke.
I went to the front desk to request another room and was told by the staffer (not Mr. Mulder) that no other rooms were available, that this was a non-smoking room and they "had never had complaints about the room." I asked if I could check out the next day instead of staying for the two days we had reserved and was told there were no refunds with less than two weeks cancellation. The staffer did offer to send up an ozone unit.
We were determined to make the best of it and not let this ruin our weekend so we went out for wine tasting and dinner.
When we returned, the ozone unit seemed to have helped some so we went to bed. But the smell seemed to get worse overnight and I woke up with a sore throat. The next day we opened the window wide open to air out the room and went out for the day.
We came back about noon and shut the window (it was under 30 degrees outside) and my husband turned on the heating unit (which we turned off with the window open). He was immediately blown over by a cloud of dust and cigarette smell. We then determined that the smell was coming from the heater which draws intake air from the balcony--possibly smokers smoke on the balcony and the heat pulls the air in and it had a very dirty filter.
Of course we turned the heat back off and relied on the electric fireplace for our heat.
When we checked out the next morning, Mr. Mulder was at the front desk. He asked us how our stay was and I told him I was very disappointed. He seemed genuinely concerned and apologized profusely and asked us for details of our visit, which we told him.
What surprised me most was that once we were on the road he called me about an hour later and said that he had checked out the room and was investigating the problem, he thanked me again for bringing it to his attention, and offered to refund our second nights stay!
This was above and beyond, and very appreciated.
My advice to future travelers is, be aware you are paying for location, not luxury. The location can't be beat. Secondly, if you have a problem at all, please ask to speak directly to Mr. Mulder. He seems to genuinely care about the guest experience and seems willing to go out of his way to make things right.

Room Tip: Be aware there is apparently only one (or maybe two) rooms with a real fireplace and a jacuzzi tub...
3  Thank PDXBride
Write a ReviewReviews (2,074)

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed before Christmas in December 2012. I have never stayed in Leavenworth before, so although I thought the rooms were pricey (almost $190 per night including tax), they may be modest compared to other places in the area. The rooms are large large and clean and the staff was very nice. Since all rooms are next to a walk way, we did hear a fair amount of noise. I tuned the heater on to cover the sound. If you go on the hotel website, the breakfast area looks nothing like what they advertise. It is waaaay too tiny for the amount of people that stay there and the breakfast was pretty basic. There was a waffle maker, cereal, oatmeal, etc. There were no meat, cheese or egg products (except hard boiled) or fresh fruit. This place is at the lower end of the scale. Although we enjoyed our stay, I would recommend shopping around before choosing this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here Dec. 23rd, 24th and 25th. We had reservations for a room with a fireplace and were pleasantly surprised this entitled us to covered parking. The room was very nice. It was really clean, the linens on the bed were great as were all the towels. The fireplace was nice to have and they provided the fire logs. It would have been nicer had the couch been a little lower so we could see the fire from the bed. We also really appreciated that they were dog friendly. The in-room coffee maker was good to have and we were happy that the fridge was larger than we had anticipated and we had a microwave. We brought some movies so it was nice to have the DVD player. The room was quiet except for a couple of people the first night in the hot-tub which was pretty close to our room but their lack of consideration is not the fault of the hotel. We only did the continental breakfast once and it was fine, with a selection of bagels, fruit and cereal. We didn't use the dining room we just grabbed a couple of bagels and a hard boiled egg and headed out. The woman who checked us in/out was really friendly and professional and when I requested more coffee she was happy to provide it.

The only drawback was the TV as it had no on-screen guide that we could find. The room could use a coffee table in front of the couch but we just moved over a little end table and used that.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay there again!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We spent the night at this inn while visiting Leavenworth to see the Christmas Lights. The inn is very well located just one block from Front Street, where all the shops and restaurants are located. Just park the car in their parking lot, and leave it there until you leave town. No charge for the parking either, and if you reserve a suite, you get covered parking.

On my reservation request (you get a copy via email), I stated there were 2 adults and 1 child in our party, but upon arrival we discovered the suite only had one bed, and no sofa beds. I'm pretty sure I selected the suite, but it would have been nice if the inn reservation process had picked up the mismatched room size automatically. The owners quickly moved us to a twin queen room with no problems. They also provided some nice wine glasses and a beer mug for us to us in our room. Oh, and a wine opener. Best of all, they sell wine and beer in the lobby. Very handy, as those shops on Front Street close down pretty early.

The suite we saw for a few minutes had a nice looking fireplace. The normal rooms are simple motel style rooms. Pretty much a no frill set up. But they were clean, well stocked, decent TV, heater/AC unit, wireless (free!), and even a mini-fridge. The beds were comfortable and we all had a good nights sleep.

We didn't use the hot tub, but did see others using it. It had a nice privacy fence around it.

Don't expect the Ritz, but if you want a nice clean "motelish" place, with friendly and good service, that's perfectly located near Front St, I do recommend the Obertal Inn

Room Tip: Again, the suites have covered parking, which is a good deal when it's snowing hard.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Rooms are clean and comfortable. Location in town is great - I've stayed here a few times and never had issues with noise. Parking is tight/cramped (but at least there is parking which is a plus in town). I've never had the breakfast as I'm out and about before it's available so I can't speak to it's quality. It's a good value for the area/location.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2012

What we look for in a hotel is clean, comfortable and quiet. Well this place gets and A+ on all three counts. First it is clean, second the beds, pillows and linens are excellent and it is very quiet. The complementary breakfast was excellent for being continental. I especially loved the fruit salad buffet with seeds, nuts and yogurt. The location is in the heart of town and an easy walk to everything. The hot tub lacked luster but the owner said that in good time he would have a state of the art one in. If I ever went back, I would stay here again!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

My girlfriend and I went to the Obertal in Leavenworth last weekend.

The rooms were nothing special, but it was clean and the beds were comfortable.

The location of the Hotel is excellent. A 2 minute walk to the main area.

I would also agree with other reviewers that the location is very quiet (except for the construction noise across the street - not the fault of the hotel).

I would stay there again considering the price and location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple