“Wasn't a great experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leavenworth
Mountain Springs Lodge
Reviewed May 10, 2013

When e-mailing with staff, I had a good experience with assistance in choosing a cabin for my husband and his parents to stay in during the visit.

We set up a room for our selves and wasn't too impressed with what we saw and how we were treated the first night. The man I spoke with was rude to me about the fact that I was not personally staying, but was making the reservation for someone else. He cut me off before I could even give him the name of the people who would be staying in the cabin. After asking to speak with someone else because I didn't like the way he was treating me, he said, "I'm the owner. Do you want the cabin or not!?"

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Abby L
Jaimi K, Manager at Mountain Springs Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

I truly apologize for your experience. I would like to suggest that perhaps you may have had this experience at a different establishment here in Plain, WA. The owner of Mountain Springs Lodge is a very gentle and soft spoken man who is rarely at the front desk and has no recollection of this interaction. There are other hotels in the nearby area that have quite similar names to us here at Mountain Springs.
Again I do apologize for your experience but I do believe it did not occur here at Mountain Springs Lodge.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed in the main lodge. The bones are wonderful, made of nice solid wood with a lot of promise. The staff was very friendly although a little too casual in my opinion.

I loved that the building felt solid, but the layout of the common space and lodge rooms was awkward. I personally prefer staying at lodges that make you want to curl up with a book or have a cup of coffee in front of a fire. This lodge's main room felt like a cafeteria and even though there was snow outside, the main fire was never lit during our stay. There were also old decorations in bags around the main room, without anyone doing anything with them. I'd understand more if someone was putting them away or taking them out, but they just sat there, making us feel like we walked in on some behind the scenes event.

Before I get to the room, here's my bottom line for the main areas - they were clean and had a lot of promise, but without a fire, and being in the middle of things being put out or put away, it felt off-season, but we paid full rack rate. And, a few cozy couches with lamps would go a reallllly long way. I suppose when I pay a premium for a "lodge" I expect to want to use some of the common space. If that isn't available for some reason, then I expect an off-season price. We also never did find the common space hot tub.

We stayed in Northwest Territory lodge room. Up the stairs from the check in area. The room was big, but no thought was really put into the layout of the room. The bed is right next to the front door, the dining table is far opposite the sink and fridge, which were crammed into a little nook with a toaster and coffee maker and microwave above. It would be hard to do more than microwave leftovers with the lack of space in this cubby. Sure it's better than nothing, but it could have been easily soooo much better. There is also a strange faux balcony that I just don't get.

The couches were kinda cute with the wooden frames, but more like futon furniture that we didn't really want to hang out on. They are also in the center of the room in front of the fire which made the fire viewable by any part of the room, but made it much less cozy. The bath was a nice size and clean, although this brings me to the things that really bothered me about our stay: the cheap choices for some of the choices. The shower, the plastic tub, the fake rock fire with rock pieces falling off, the bad countertops, strange linoleum, etc. There were plenty of soaps and bath essentials, but they were also cheap. I just wish the place would decide - are they a luxury lodge, or a, affordable family option? Basically, I felt like we were staying at my great aunt's house who also wears cat sweaters.

There was also only one small window with no view. It did open for fresh air, which was nice.

I also found the room to be amazingly noisy. For the place being dead, I could hear every word that the receptionist was saying downstairs. It likely didn't help that she chose the foot of the stairs to chat with people most of the time, while the rest of the place was absolutely empty. A proper door seal would go miles... as well as some comfy furniture downstairs to soak up the sound.

The good things about this Lodge are:
- Clean! Even under the bed. I dropped my phone and was pleasantly surprised to find that this often forgotten area was just as clean as the rest of the floor. Seriously, +1 for cleanliness across the board.
- Comfy bed and linens
- Lots of towels and two soft, good quality, robes.
- Friendly
- Activities on site, if you'd like to pay for them

I can see how this would be a lovely place for a wedding or event especially with the open space downstairs. In fact, I think it is better suited to special events than a public lodge. Personally, I think I'd rather stay in Leavensworth and come out just to do the activities. If they dropped the prices more to make it comparable in price when there isn't as much snow, it could be a better option.

Room Tip: The two lodge rooms are loud, so don't stay if this may be an issue for you. They are very large...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GneissDay
MSLRich, Owner at Mountain Springs Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for your candid review and suggestions. We certainly do listen and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The girlfriend felt as spoiled as ever; sleigh ride, jacuzzi tub, dinner in front of a huge river rock fireplace. Ron gave a great tour on the sled with hot cider and pointed out a flock of wild turkeys. Chef Duncan personally came out of the kitchen not only to greet the dinner guests but to customize their dinner a bit to their liking. Food was excellent, the mouintain room was great, the staff was friendly. The cross country skiing was fun. There is so much more to do here I could go on and on. I want to come back in the summer time too.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for letting us know! I will be sure to let Ron know you enjoyed your sleigh ride and Duncan know that you appreciated his service! Please do come back in the summer--every season is beautiful and I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of the winter here!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our daughter had her ceremony and reception for about 80 at the lodge in August. The setting was spectacular, the chef was so pleasant to work with and everyone commented on the quality of the food. The staff at the lodge couldn't have been more helpful - the wedding planners at the lodge ensured that every detaill was taken care of. If you are planning a destination wedding I would highly recommend this venue - I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 541plaid
Jaimi K, Owner at Mountain Springs Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your review! We absolutely love having weddings here and weddings like your daughter's is the reason why! I will certainly let our chef know you enjoyed working with him...we know we're continually spoiled by the wonderful meals he prepares :)
Thank you again and we do hope to see you and your family again in the future!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I got married here on July 22, 2012 and we could not have asked for a better experience than the one given to us by the staff at Mountain Springs Lodge. I'm the do-it-yourself control freak bride so I always had lots of questions which were always answered promptly and they were more than willing to accomodate our requests. We rented most of the lodging for family and friends and continue to receive many compliments from them about their positive experience. The food was great and the chef was amazing. We really wanted to make this occasion personal and a representation of our personalities with every detail and I am just so grateful to have had a team that was able to make it happen!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jessica L

Thank you for letting us know! We LOVED having your wedding here and getting to know your wonderful family through the process!
Please do come back and see us when you can--Cassie and I would love to catch up with you two!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I tried to make a special weekend for my wife & I, and with the great help of the Mountain Springs Lodge employees; GREAT is exactly how it turned out! From the special flower arrangement to the special massage that was arranged for my wife. The area is great for wine adventures. Great area to ride bikes also. The room was perfect, the outside deck had a hot tub that was exactly the right temperature. The weekend finished off with a great breakfast Sunday morning. The price for the entire package was worth the price.
We will try to do this again in the future. Great job, Mountain Springs Lodge employees!

Thanks Gary

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback! We thought YOU were so thoughtful to plan such a special getaway for your wife--we loved being involved! I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of all the area activities--come back later this summer or falltime...we are planning on adding a pool and patio area as well as zipline tours!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We would just like to once again express our thanks to you for accommodating us on Wednesday, August 27th. Not only is your lodge and the surrounding property spectacularly beautiful, your staff is fabulous! They were all so friendly and cheerful. It must be a wonderful place to work. We had such an outstanding experience! The wagon ride was very entertaining due in large part to our driver and the private dinner on the back verandah made us feel like we were somebody special. The attention and service provided by the chef of 'many hats' was wonderful and the food was delicious! We would rate our experience a 10 out of 10 and will not only recommend you to anyone heading that way but we'll be back ourselves. Thanks for a very special memory!!

K. and M. Whyte
Abbotsford, B.C.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for letting us know! Last year was our first year bringing back the wagon rides and we're excited to start again this year! We are very fortunate to have the quality of staff we have...and while that does make it fun to work here, so do guests like you! We will look forward to seeing you again!