“Worst German Food ever!!”
Review of Cafe Christa - CLOSED

Cafe Christa
Cuisines: American, German, Central European
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Upstairs across from the Maipole featuring German and Northwest specialties with 11 German beers on draft.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We took the long way to Alberta from Vancouver, looking forward to a nice German meal in Leavenworth. This place was a big mistake, the Spatzle were cold and tasteless, worst red cabbage ever and schnitzel was tough. Very disappointed, only one server on too, she was very pleasant, and did not charge us for one meal when we told her what we thought of it. She did not seem surprised. Avoid this place.

1  Thank KSL55
There are newer reviews for Cafe Christa

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Had lunch here. I ordered jagerschnitzel and must have had a bad cut of meat. It was very grizzly. My wife ordered the same, and she had no problem. The Munich beer tastes a lot like Budweiser (ick). The red beets and spaetzle were fantastic. Very friendly folks here.

1  Thank Sean M
Reviewed December 28, 2012

While the restaurant was far from busy when we arrived for dinner (5:30PM, with a reservation), we waited almost an hour for our food. Once our meals finally arrived, the opinions of our group were unanimous: the food was downright horrible. In fact, two family members (both from Germany) noted later that it was the worst German food they have ever eaten.

The schnitzel was particularly disappointing: neither thin nor plentiful (which is how it's served in other German restaurants in town), it tasted nothing like veal, as advertised; the sauerkraut sides were barely edible; the sausage was mediocre at best - and not even on par with the brat served up in many of the local taverns. And like another reviewer noted on this site, we were actually told that the kitchen was "too busy" to substitute potatoes for french fries. Wow.

On the bright side, there is a good variety of German beer on tap - but no better than other local restaurants. The view from some tables is also good (but if you venture there in winter, bring a sweater as the back dining room is freezing).

Bottom line: This is clearly a restaurant that is banking on nothing more than its location in the center of town - and the hope that most tourists will be long gone before they share their dining review with others.

My recommendation: walk the extra 500 feet down the street to King Ludwig's or Cafe Mozart and spend the same amount on a much more authentic (and tasteful) German dining experience.

1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I am still upset about the horrible experience that my family and I endured here during our great weekend up from Portland to the Tree lighting ceremony. First to start off our poor experience we waited in the lobby area for quite some time without anyone ever greeting us before I had to walk around the restaurant searching for some assistance (not to mention we were the only people in the lobby!). When we finally did get assistance and were able to sit down we asked for a high-chair for my sister’s 14month old child (which we NEVER did receive)!!!! When ordering my food I asked if I could order French fries instead of potato salad and the waitress told me that I couldn’t French fries because her kitchen was so busy. Seriously, where were you going to get your French fries, Deutschland? All you have to do is drop them in some oil! To make the situation even worse she rolled her eyes at me when I told her I was going to need another minute to decide what I would like to have, she didn’t return for at least 15 minutes. Our food was served cold to the touch, refills never came, and when asking if we would like deserts my sister told the woman that it was her birthday thinking that you never know she might offer her a special snack. The waitress snapped back and said “We don’t serve complimentary deserts.” Not even a simple “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” came out of her mouth. Although, I know that many restaurants don’t offer birthday snacks at no cost it wasn’t the right way to treat your guests. We had one question about splitting the bill between two families since we brought in 11 people and she brought us the check slammed it down on our table and left, not a word was uttered from her mouth (again rolled her eyes). The portions are small, no sides are served with most meals, way over priced (especially if you don’t get sides) the service is poor, the restaurant is dark and dingy, and the restrooms were disgusting. What a horrible experience! I wouldn’t recommend this restaurant to anyone!

Example: We ordered the Monte Cristo sandwich which came out on white plate, with white bread, cold, no sides, no garnish, simply white cold sandwich on a cold white plate, in a cold horrible restaurant.!

CafeChrista, Manager at Cafe Christa, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Just read your review and wanted to say how sorry I am that your experience at our establishment was not a good one. We appreciate your feedback, and expect much more from our staff than the service that you and your family received. I have printed your review for the servers to read and am posting it along with some notes about proper customer service.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Wonderful waitress, wonderful food, wonderful view...

We travel quite a bit now, but to date, haven't found a German restaurant to enjoy. While walking along Front Street in Leavenworth, we saw their menu posted outside, and were immediately drawn to the jägerschnitzel listed on top!

We haven't had jägerschnitzel since we were stationed at Ft Campbell Ky (home of the 101st Airborne!) and had dinner at the golf course restaurant! Okay, it was a bit different than we remembered, but it was tasty. Out waitress, a pretty short haired brunette, was excellent. Perfect timing for taking our drink order, entree order, checking up on us, the delivering the bill (which we all know can take way too long.)

Are we talking 5 star dining in NYC?... No. But for a very nice experience in a tourist town, it was great. We will definitely go back next time we're in Leavenworth.