“Good food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andreas Keller Restaurant

Andreas Keller Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 86 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Cuisines: German, Austrian, European, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: This family-owned business has been bringing Bavaria to Leavenworth for over 25 years. The chef, Anita Hamilton, has been personally overseeing the kitchen since 1991 and is a native of Germany. The made-from-scratch desserts, soups and entrees are reminiscent of traditional Gasthaus fare. The owner, Heidi Forchemer, travels to Germany yearly for new menu ideas. Her son, Max, can be heard playing his button accordion most weekends, along with other local musicians, such as Tom Tilton of the Alpenfolk band. It simply doesn't get more authentic than this!
Spanaway, Washington
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

The food was good. More on the German side. I'm not used to German food so it was a bit different for me. Their wine was yummy and I am NOT a wine drinker. The service was good as well.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Lavinna P

San Diego, California
“Really?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Being a German town, I expected to get a real good authentic German cuisines. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I am not going to talk about the service or how interesting their seats look like. Just the taste of the food was enough for me to give 1 star.

Beer: blend, cannot feel the freshness. I quoted as "dead" beer; guessing they're not controlling their beer properly.

Sausage: cosmetically, it was already damaged. Sides were busted, peels were coming apart. It also smelt quite old. Again not fresh..

Pretzel: cosmetic texture was like a croissant (meaning bad)... rather than a pretzel. Only way to implement the texture is to froze and de-frost an old pretzel multiple times. Tasted exactly like it looked...

Schnitzel: something that was better than the other. Not impressive though.

I been to numerous other German places in US, so I'm not being subjective. I can't really believe my fellow tripadvior reviewers are giving such a high score... was it just me?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
jglover4168, Manager at Andreas Keller Restaurant, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We are sorry the food you ordered was not to your liking, as we do take great pride in the recipes, ingredients and execution in every meal, and try our best to pass this on to our guests. I would like to put you at ease, however, by telling you that our beer and sausages are both fresh and regularly checked for quality, as they are some of the most popular items. Our sausages are made in small batches by a local butcher, and therefore can be more fragile during the cooking progress. Our beer is imported directly from Germany, and we work with our distributors to ensure we get the most premium product available. Our pretzels, though they are not the traditional doughy, soft pretzel associated with Oktoberfest, are also from a Washington source and are one of our signatures. Knowing this, we hope you give us another chance. Thank you for your help in making us a better restaurant!
Florida
“Dinner in the Alps”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

While visiting our son in Seattle we took a side trip to the beautiful town of Leavenworth. What a beautiful setting for a great dinner of schnitzel with spatzele. This restaurant is downstairs with no view of the mountains. I was able to have a chicken schnitzel instead of the traditional pork. My husband had the pork with a side order of potato salad that was really good. My son ordered a beer that for some reason he did not enjoy, so they credited our check. I would return to this restaurant for the schnitzel and recommend. The prices were about $17.00 for each dinner. There was an accordion player entertaining us while we dined.

2 Thank ESFFlorida
Tumwater
“My favorite restaurant in Leavenworth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The food is wonderful - delicious and authentically German, with a good selection of beers to complement. Their mustard is housemade and delicious too (my hubby ate it with a spoon), and they sell jars to take home. It's also fun to sit in their booths, which feel like sitting in a big beer barrel. Definitely my favorite restaurant in Leavenworth.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Julie M
Thank you for feedback, we are so happy you enjoyed yourselves. There is so much good food to be offered in Leavenworth, and we truly pride ourselves in being apart of this delicious ensemble. We hope to have you again!
Henning, MN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“moldy bun”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were there on August 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm for an after wedding lunch. There was a large group of us. When our food arrived my bun had moldy spots on it. it was pretty dark (but part of the atmosphere I understand) so I got out the flashlight on my phone and it was in fact fuzzy green mold... I waited for a little while for the waitress to come check on us but she never came back. I finally just ate the breaded chicken insert and a few bites of the potato salad. My kids each had a pretzel and sausage. neither of them ate much of anything, I was disappointed to know that the automatic tip of $9.00 (18% gratuity since we were a large party) was applied to each check... our group was sectioned off to 5 bills... that's a $45.00 dollar tip................ considering we had moldy bread and no service to return it to all in all I was disappointed. We also didn't get our check until we got up to leave as we were all waiting to head out on long road trips. Even if I make it back that way, I won't return. I liked the atmosphere and tried to get over it, but the 64.00 bill for a bad experience is still eating away at me, considering we had to go get food less than an hour on the road.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
First of all, I would like to apologize for the kaiser roll being moldy. It is so extremely rare, and unusual, but unacceptable none the less, and I will be working more closely with the kitchen to ensure it never, ever happens again.
That being said, though gratuity is stated in the menu as being automatically added to parties above 6, our customers are welcome to decline this option. Our servers are dedicated employees, all of whom have been working here for many years, and would not only have immediately handled the food issue, but the gratuity as well. It is however an old restaurant, and dark as you mentioned, so the servers may need a little help in attending to each person's needs, something they take very seriously. We hope you give us another try, as we do take great pride in our food, customers, and service. Thank you for your feedback!