“wonderful atmosphere”

Ranked #4 of 93 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: This family-owned business has been bringing Bavaria to Leavenworth for over 25 years. The chef, Anita Hamilton, has been personally overseeing the kitchen since 1991 and is a native of Germany. The made-from-scratch desserts, soups and entrees are reminiscent of traditional Gasthaus fare. The owner, Heidi Forchemer, travels to Germany yearly for new menu ideas. Her son, Max, can be heard playing his button accordion most weekends, along with other local musicians, such as Tom Tilton of the Alpenfolk band. It simply doesn't get more authentic than this!
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our favorite restaurant in Leavenworth. They served fairly authentic Bavarian food and had a wonderful accordion player. The interior is beautiful wood and everyone was in a good mood. Would highly recommend.

2  Thank AmberHop
jglover4168, Manager at Andreas Keller Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

This kind of feedback is exactly why we do, what we do! We are so dedicated, as a team, in delivering the fun, exciting atmosphere of Germany's restaurants, along with good home cooked food straight from Oma's cookbooks. So thank you, and we hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was a very good meal on a very hot day in Leavenworth. The service was good and there was music being played in the restaurant.
The only complaint I had was that my draft beer ( German ) was not very cold.
We would come back here again.

1  Thank wayflos

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your time at our restaurant. We do keep our draft beer at a more traditional Bavarian temperature, as that is how it is intended to be drunk. A guest secret is if you are used to an extra cooled beer, tell your server ahead of time, and we'll pop a mug in the freezer. We hope to see you soon, thanks again!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

A popular place, expect a wait. We were disappointed after reading other reviews. We came for the atmosphere and music but the musician stayed in one spot during our dinner and it was hard to hear over the noise.. The food was good but not excellent.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The reservation clerk at our hotel recommended this restaurant, and after a quick pick to determine that other TA visitors liked it we decided to arrive early and avoid the crowds. We went at 5pm, and there was no line. We had planned for an early dinner because we had theatre tickets so the hour was not a problem for us.

The menu has a variety of offerings with an emphasis on sausages and schnitzels. My husband enjoyed the pork hock. This is an enormous meal, so be sure and only order the small one. My daughter had a combination of sausages from the appetizer menu along with a side of red cabbage.

I had the schnitzel with spaetzle, served with a smooth and yummy cream sauce. Our unadventurous grandchildren were happy with the pretzel and weiner offering from the children's menu.

Our daughter ordered a German beer, which she loved. My husband had a traditional coke and orange combo. It sounded dreadful, but was really delicious.

All of our meals were enormous. My schnitzel covered my entire plate, and tipped off the edge. I could and should have shared it, but I am embarrassed to write that I ate the entire thing myself. Normally I am not a fan of spaetzle, but after a couple of forkfuls, we ordered another side dish for the table. It is the best I have ever eaten.

The restaurant is in a basement, but that should not discourage anyone. The decor is charming, and it is not difficult to imagine one is not in Washington. Our server was simply charming. Our orders came out quickly, and she checked back in with us on a regular basis.

We loved the accordion player who added to the atmosphere, and inviting the children to dance made the experience much more pleasant for them, and us.

For where we were, and what we ordered I thought that the prices were fairly reasonable. My husband's dish was about $27. My daughter's sampler was $12, and my schnitzel was $16. The childrens meals were $8, which I thought were a bit over-priced, but you have to feed them.

My only disappointment was the Black Forest Cake. It was the worst serving of this dessert I have ever attempted to eat. It was dry, lacked flavor and tasted of other foods from the refrigerator. I am not deducting any stars for the dessert because no one has any business ordering dessert after eating an enormous meal.

I expected a tourist trap restaurant of over-priced, not particularly good food. I got a great restaurant, staffed with lovely people and some of the most authentic German food I have eaten in ages.

2  Thank Busy-retired
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our meal but found the accordion music to loud. We had a difficult time carrying on a conversation across the table because of the loud music. The music was fun though, and added to the atmosphere but it was a bit to loud for us. Other than that the food and service was very good.

1  Thank D S