“Disappointed”

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 11, 2009

We stopped in for a dinner as menu seemed to have a variety of items. They were out of kids menus- sadly the fish and chips were dry and overcooked - and the recommended salad dressing - lemon/mustard was staight lemon - I had to get up tp find the waiter - who had forgotten my grandsons drink - the chicken strips that were suggest for children came on a plate four strips and nothing else - a real diappointment - although we paid the bill we ate very little of what was served. This restaurant could be so easily improved - hope the owners see the incentive for - those who visit this town often

There are newer reviews for Gustav's

Reviewed August 9, 2009

My uncle told me I had to go to Gustav's and sit out on the deck to take in the view of the river and mountains, so my husband and I went for lunch. It was very busy, which made me think it must be a good place to eat. The view upstairs on the deck was okay, but I couldn't see the river from where we were sitting. Our server, Cathy, was very nice, but our food left something to be desired. My husband and I decided to split a Reuben sandwich, which wound up being mostly sauerkraut and hardly any meat. At $10.50 just for the sandwich, with no side except for a pickle, I thought it would be better than that. Don't be fooled by the line of people waiting to get in. There are tons of other restaurants in that town!

Reviewed April 14, 2009

My family visits Leavenworth about four times a year, staying two nights at a time. On previous visits, Gustav's was so full that we couldn't actually get in. It was then a welcome sign, to us, anyway, that this Easter Break most people went elsewhere and Gustav's was almost empty. Alas, we grabbed the opportunity to sample what so many customers before seemed to have enjoyed. The place certainly looks like it could serve up a nice meal. So it came as a disappointment that it is primarily a burgertorium. My wife had fish and salad, which was very nice, I had fries with deep fried halibut (dripping with oil), and the kids had a burger each and a shared basket of fries. It seems that many places in WA serve fries that suffer from black plaque/spot. If you like nice crispy golden fries without skins and black streaks, give these a long miss. The waitress was quite pleasant and efficient. The kids ordered a desert, one being a slice of baked cheesecake topped with strawberries. Unfortunately, they were totally off. They looked OK, but had the sour fizzy texture and taste of fermenting fruit. When I gently pointed that out to the waiters, she asked if it was really bad (YES!), and than thanked me for bringing it to her attention. Than she brought us the bill, FULLY inclusive of the strawberry desert. So, we fully paid, and left ... for fully good. We have owned enough food business to know that crap happens, but also to know when to do the right thing by the customer. Alas, Gustav's never again.

Reviewed March 30, 2009

I've been to other Gustav locations (in Oregon) and the menu is jam packed with so many different foods it's hard to decide - I love the cheese fondue so I was very excited to see Gustav's in Leavenworth so that I could take my kids for a fun fondue experience. Unfortunately, we did not have such a great experience - only one section of the restaurant was open and it was "please seat yourself" - 2 tables available but had not been cleaned from the last customers - it appeared only one guy was working to wait/clean/ring up the customers (we felt sorry for him) and the menu was so very limited.. I ended up ordering a burger - it came to me the size of kids' meal burger from a fast food joint (and the bun was very greasy) for $9.50, you'd think they'd throw in some fries or maybe chips but apparently you have to pay $3.95 extra for fries? To top it off (and this is out of the control of the restaurant) but in my direct line of vision was a young gal having a "romantic" dinner with her boyfriend - her back is to me and her pant waist line sits a good 2 inches too low - ugghhh - no way can she say she doesn't feel the air!!! That was the icing on the cake (I almost told her boyfriend that he ought to pull her pants up a notch as I walked out). If I was in the mood for a quick, expensive burger, this Gustav's is the place to go - otherwise, I'd look into other options. We will not return.

Reviewed December 16, 2008

We have gone to Gustav's for the past 3 years. The first 2 times we went we had GREAT service. I don't know what has happened to this restaraunt, but this year the customer service was HORRIBLE. It appeared that no one was in charge or could make a decision. Not only was our waitress rude, but the hostess was not helpful and the food was cold. In addition, the prices and the portions are out of control. I understand that this is a tourist town, but you can't charge top dollar for a burger and disgusting fries. The fries were the greasiest I have ever had. I will NEVER go back. It was a real dissapointment. What happened to this restaraunt?

2  Thank John1954Seattle

Been to Gustav's? Share your experiences!