“Fermenting Strawberries Desert”

Dining options: Late Night
Vancouver
“Fermenting Strawberries Desert”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

My family visits Leavenworth about four times a year, staying two nights at a time. On previous visits, Gustav's was so full that we couldn't actually get in. It was then a welcome sign, to us, anyway, that this Easter Break most people went elsewhere and Gustav's was almost empty. Alas, we grabbed the opportunity to sample what so many customers before seemed to have enjoyed. The place certainly looks like it could serve up a nice meal. So it came as a disappointment that it is primarily a burgertorium. My wife had fish and salad, which was very nice, I had fries with deep fried halibut (dripping with oil), and the kids had a burger each and a shared basket of fries. It seems that many places in WA serve fries that suffer from black plaque/spot. If you like nice crispy golden fries without skins and black streaks, give these a long miss. The waitress was quite pleasant and efficient. The kids ordered a desert, one being a slice of baked cheesecake topped with strawberries. Unfortunately, they were totally off. They looked OK, but had the sour fizzy texture and taste of fermenting fruit. When I gently pointed that out to the waiters, she asked if it was really bad (YES!), and than thanked me for bringing it to her attention. Than she brought us the bill, FULLY inclusive of the strawberry desert. So, we fully paid, and left ... for fully good. We have owned enough food business to know that crap happens, but also to know when to do the right thing by the customer. Alas, Gustav's never again.

NW Oregon
“not like the Gustav's that I'm used to...”
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I've been to other Gustav locations (in Oregon) and the menu is jam packed with so many different foods it's hard to decide - I love the cheese fondue so I was very excited to see Gustav's in Leavenworth so that I could take my kids for a fun fondue experience. Unfortunately, we did not have such a great experience - only one section of the restaurant was open and it was "please seat yourself" - 2 tables available but had not been cleaned from the last customers - it appeared only one guy was working to wait/clean/ring up the customers (we felt sorry for him) and the menu was so very limited.. I ended up ordering a burger - it came to me the size of kids' meal burger from a fast food joint (and the bun was very greasy) for $9.50, you'd think they'd throw in some fries or maybe chips but apparently you have to pay $3.95 extra for fries? To top it off (and this is out of the control of the restaurant) but in my direct line of vision was a young gal having a "romantic" dinner with her boyfriend - her back is to me and her pant waist line sits a good 2 inches too low - ugghhh - no way can she say she doesn't feel the air!!! That was the icing on the cake (I almost told her boyfriend that he ought to pull her pants up a notch as I walked out). If I was in the mood for a quick, expensive burger, this Gustav's is the place to go - otherwise, I'd look into other options. We will not return.

Seattle
“What Happened to Gustav's?”
Reviewed December 16, 2008

We have gone to Gustav's for the past 3 years. The first 2 times we went we had GREAT service. I don't know what has happened to this restaraunt, but this year the customer service was HORRIBLE. It appeared that no one was in charge or could make a decision. Not only was our waitress rude, but the hostess was not helpful and the food was cold. In addition, the prices and the portions are out of control. I understand that this is a tourist town, but you can't charge top dollar for a burger and disgusting fries. The fries were the greasiest I have ever had. I will NEVER go back. It was a real dissapointment. What happened to this restaraunt?

2 Thank John1954Seattle
Puyallup, WA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay Away”
Reviewed December 8, 2008

We have gone to Gustav's every year for many years on our annual trip to Leavenworth. For the last few years we have come away saying we wouldn't be back (because of poor service and so-so food) but we would end up going back because of tradition. This year was so terrible we will NEVER go back. My daughter had 2 hairs in her burger (last year my sister had hair in her food) which happens in even the best of restaurants. The way they handled it was terrible though. They were not apologetic at all and they charged her for her burger, which I have never had happen in any restaurant. They did replace it with another hamburger (which was almost raw). We questioned them about being charged and they sarcastically asked "did she eat her hamburger?" "well, if she ate it, why shouldn't she pay for it?" Nevermind that she got her food later than anyone else and she was sick to her stomach from the hair in her food and couldn't enjoy it. The customer service at this restaurant is the worst I have ever seen!!! The waiter was rude and condescending and the hostess and manager were just as bad.

1 Thank wassmaj
Seattle
“just okay”
Reviewed April 17, 2008

We ate here for lunch midweek in late February. It was passable, but glad we found MUCH better and surprising options for dinner here during our stay outside of town. The onion rings were right out of the frozen food section at Safeway, or worse. The burgers were just the basics. We needed a place to eat so it worked, but we won't go back.

Been to Gustav's? Share your experiences!