“Spare yourself the anguish. Yes, it's that bad.”
Review of Gustav's

Gustav's
Ranked #18 of 94 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This place is ridiculously bad. How anyone can say it's good is beyond me.

The menu is boring, let's start with that. My other half had the French Dip which he said was bland. I had the salmon burger which was dull and uninspired.

It gets worse.

Never have I been to a full-service restaurant where they use PLASTIC SILVERWARE. Look, this isn't the airport. And this isn't Chick Fil-A. It's actually a restaurant with a bar, waiters, and waitresses. What possible reason could you have to serve people with plastic forks and knives?

Next -- several of us ordered entrees in addition to a starter salad and an appetizer (onion rings or fries.) The server brought ALL OF THE FOOD AT THE SAME TIME. And then she left us with a glib, "Hope you can find space on the table for all of that!"

And, as I said above, the food sucked.

So why are all these writers in love with this place, I'll never know. It's really awful, I kid you not.

If you're still reading: You should know that we waited for two hours for a table. (This part was somewhat understandable -- it was the Saturday night before Xmas, probably the busiest night of the year in Leavenworth and we were a party of 10.) However, when we checked in, we were told it was a 45-minute wait. 45 minutes later, we were again told it was a 45-minute late. After 2 hours, they showed us to our table. I should say TABLES. They had split us into a group of 6 and a group of 4. We said "no way" and were instead squeezed into a nearby table set up for 8, and we brought in two extra chairs.

Oh, and in case you think it's a German restaurant, it's not. It's basically a burger joint.

1  Thank GimmeExtra

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I was told that there are 2 things you must do when you go to Leavenworth, eat at gustav's and go to the hat store. Why I was told this is beyond me. The food was awful, and left a bad taste in my mouth. The presentation was boring and food tasted like it was microwaved. The room on bar side was freezing, we had to stay bundled up the whole time as the stream of people waiting to eat was well outside and the door could not close, despite server staff telling people to close the door. They had set up a makeshift curtain to try to stop the cold coming in, it did nothing, and everyone waiting in line on the other side were basically resting against our table. The restaurant is awful for even fast food standards. The only good thing was the server, she apologized multiple times for the cold, and got our food, if we can call it that, to us quite quickly.

Do yourself a favor and try anything else.

3  Thank Piroglith
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Limited menu, but everything we've ever sampled is GOOD. Great selection of local beers, too.

Great terrace seating when the weather is good; inside has a nice vibe, especially when it's busy. But the place could use some updating with new carpet and chairs.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Walked here from my hotel. It was just OK. They didn't have a lot of options for those not wanting German food. I ended up with just a salad and some fries. The staff was very nice. I was there with a party of 18 people. He handled all of us like a pro - even separate checks.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had a long lunch at Gustav's during the last weekend of Oktoberfest. It was crazy busy as most places in town are during that weekend, but they did a good job handling the crowd and estimating the wait time. While waiting we were able to order a few drinks and before we knew it our table was ready. Our server was very knowledgable of the menu and kept returning to refill beverages. The food was pretty good although my salmon sandwich was a bit dry, I will definitely be going back