“Basic, but great”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Leavenworth
Seattle, WA
“Basic, but great”
Reviewed December 4, 2009

3 night couples ski getaway.

Very basic. Do not expect a luxury inn. This is a 2.5 star property. However, we still loved it. And at $130/night, it was not a bad value, though still a bit overpriced.

Very friendly welcome from a Leavenworth townie in a dirndl. Couldn't help but enjoy the irony of an eastern WA local townsperson sporting an elaborate Bavarian getup. Looked more like a Halloween costume on her. She was very nice though! (Could have used a fake German accent to round out the image, though.)

Good room - small and basic, but clean and comfortable. Even had a balcony overlooking... nothing. No flat screen TV or 3 star+ amenities. A very cozy, 2.5 star room. Great shower, especially after a day on the ski slopes.

Location is a bit far from the downtown drag of Leavenworth. However, closer to Stevens (where we were skiing). Watch out for the radar-gun-abusing county coppers that line Route 2 if you go skiing at Stevens. They love busting yuppie Seattle types to bring much-needed $ to their depressed local economies (I got a ticket for 67 in a 60... ridiculous... the road was clear and I was in an AWD car... perfectly safe). But I digress...

The breakfast was great - very basic but great. Also, the desert at night is an awesome little touch. Loved the cake and tea!

Would highly recommend the Alpen Rose to anyone, so long as you aren't expecting luxury, but rather basic, yet comfortable (and slightly overpriced) accommodations shrouded in a wanna-be Bavarian facade. Contrived? Yes. Awesome? I think so.

Couples or families would be fine here. Don't pay more than $130 per night, or you are getting a poor value. I would say this place should be charging about $110 per night.

Also - pool closed in the winter. Bummer. They should heat it and keep it open!

Overall, great place if you come with low expectations.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 22, 2009

This is one of the best places I have stayed at!! The rooms are immaculate and very clean; the staff extremely friendly and the food excellent. From the minute we pulled up into the parking lot to the minute we entered the lobby we were charmed by the Bavarian atmosphere.
I loved the bed and breakfast ambiance and the gorgeous gardens. Everything was so peaceful and relaxing.
Will definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We loved the small town feel of the Inn. The jacuzzi tub and fireplace were very romantic. Suggestion: Bigger coffee Urn delivered to rooms and possibly real creamer. Thanks we had a great time.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We totally enjoyed our stay. Our room was private, quiet ,and peaceful, and the service was outstanding. Everyone associated with the Inn was attentive and very professional. It was a delightful experience and a great escape.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Leavenworth, Washington
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My wife and I stayed there over Valentine's weekend, and enjoyed it very much. The decor was nice, there was a nice scent in the lounge, and the breakfast was very good. They had some nice valentine's decorations. Like others, we liked the hot drinks in the morning and the evening dessert. There are a couple of things I would like to point out.

We stayed in room 105, which is next to the pantry. Fortunately, it was not that loud, but it could be. Also, the sound proofing of the rooms are not as good as I would like, but it did not cause any major problems. I usually turn the bathroom fan on and the room fan on to give some "white noise". The heating and cooling system worked very well.

The bathroom had a fairly large counter, which is a nice touch, especially important because this room did not have a sink outside the bathroom.

The hot tub was set to 104 degrees, which is as hot as I have seen a hotel or B&B hot tub. That was too hot for my taste, but that is subjective.

The bed was a bit soft for my taste as well, though I still slept well. Of course, like the hot tub, what someone prefers is subjective.

We were not there to watch TV, so this was not a major issue, but the TV control skipped a lot of channels, but if you turned on the VCR and used the channel control though the VCR, you could get the missing channels.

If you are there in the winter or during a festival and do not want to walk to town, they have a trolley schedule at the front desk. The trolley picks up nearby (I think at the Icicle resort, a short walk from the Inn), and is only 25 cents. That would be a good option if the weather is bad and you don't want to walk to town (and during a festival or holiday weekend, parking in town is difficult).

Also, though it is very easy to get to, it is a little bit hidden from Icicle road, so it would be easy to drive past IF you are looking for the inn visually and not following the maps and written directions.

Overall we really liked it, though I rarely give 5 starts to a place, so 4 out of 5 is pretty good by my standards.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Bonney Lake
Reviewed December 8, 2008

We ended our honeymoon in leavenworth after a week in California and I've been eying this place for a long time. It was worth every penny! We stayed in an average room but we loved the little touches they put into every thing. I like "pretty" rooms but usually it costs more for the little touches. The morning coffee was a wonderful perk and the breakfast was the best one we've ever had at a hotel. We enjoyed the movie selection and can't wait to go back for our next trip.

• Liked — The desert at night.
  • Disliked — Parking lot
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle, wa
Reviewed October 29, 2008

After reading the reviews of the Alpen Rose we were looking forward to staying there to celebrate my birthday weekend. I was disappointed from the moment we checked in. When my husband mentioned that it was my birthday the person checking us in just said "Yes, I have that written down somewhere". She was not very hospitable. In our room there were only two towels so we had to reuse them them the next morning. The cleaning staff never replaced the shampoo or soap so we had to go without the second day. When we went down for breakfast there was hardly anything there and had to ask for milk and ketchup and orange juice. It looked like there had been homemade bread but it was gone when we got there and they never brought more out. And we were there well before the end of breakfast time. We didn't even go to the breakfast the second day. When we checked out I went up to the counter and all the woman said was "OK" and held out her hand for the key. I guess when I pay close to two hundred dollars a night for a room, I expect a little better service and hospitality. We will not stay there again and would not recommend it.

• Liked — Small size
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lisaf4