“One of the better Mexican restaurants”
Review of South Leavenworth

South Leavenworth
Ranked #9 of 90 Restaurants in Leavenworth
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: The trolley stops in front of SOUTH and the Link bus stop is about 300 feet away.
Description: Located in picturesque Leavenworth, Washington, SOUTH celebrates the traditions of Latin dishes and drinks from Mexico, Peru, Cuba, Brazil, Argentina and more. In our rustic space, we modernize the delicious food of open-air markets, beachside palapas and taquerias. From Michoacán carnitas to Brazilian caipirinhas, our dishes and drinks will transport you to their countries of origin. Drop by, have a bite and travel the world with us.
Maryland
“One of the better Mexican restaurants”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was my husband's comment about our dinner at South's. Ambience was good. We were seated near the bar and our server turned the TV to the Mariner's game upon request. A BIG bowl of coen chips was presented with instructions about the salsa bar. I found the verde to be a little bland, but the red and the diablo were mucho hot. Both our entrees were tasty and what we expected. If this isn't the Mexican dinner you'll remember forever, it is the one you'll leave thinking "now that was pretty good".

VictoriaBC
“Better than schnitzel!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Perhaps we aren't as choosy about Mexican food as previous reviewers but we enjoyed our dinner here very much, found the food very tasty, staff friendly and nice ambiance out on the patio on a lovely warm September evening. Think I would skip the Margueritas on another visit though as they seemed a little short on alcohol!!

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
“Won't be back... overpriced mediocre food.”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Went here on a weeknight, and it was fairly slow... about 1/4 full. We live locally, and have heard people rave about the place, so we finally decided to go.

I heard they charge for chips and salsa, which turned me off a little, but I was expecting something maybe a little special, so I let that go... well, they bring out cold corn chips that look like something you bought down the street at Safeway... and they give you a little metal dipping dish filled with pico de gallo... that was it. Then, after we eat the "salsa" we are told about the salsa bar inside. It was OK, 3 types of salsa.

The drinks... we ordered 2 margarita's.. $8 a piece, I think. Total rip-off. Short glasses, filled 80% with ice. Taste was way to sweet... even in my "Stinger" which had jalapeno, cilantro, etc. Seriously, 5 sips and it was empty.

The back outside seating area was kinda nice... until we got crapped on by birds that were sitting above along side wall. We noticed a little later a ton of bird turd on the ends of tables and on the ground where we were sitting.

The food... I had fajitas.. about as boring as I've ever had. The only good thing was the steak was tender, but it had no flavor. It came with a few sauteed peppers and onions.. and about 3 cubes of pico de gallo and a half teaspoon of guac. The corn tortillas were decent. The wife has the mole chicken enchilada.. It was pretty good, but not great, she said. No beans or rice, jut the enchilada and some shredded lettuce with a couple onion rings on top.

Bottom line is, this place is extremely overrated for some reason. Maybe I was spoiled living in Southern CA for a while where there was a Mexican/SW'rn on every corner, but this place had mediocre food, and was way overpriced. While I am farily picky about food, I generally give places the benefit of the doubt and weigh the pros and cons. Feel free to check my other reviews to see I am pretty fair. This place has very little pro's at all. We won't be back, and I won't recommend this place to anyone that comes to town.

The service was a little slow, and the waitress was about as bland as the food.

1 Thank mtnmanlives
Seattle, Washington
“Wicked margaritas, delicious food”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Saturday night of Labor Day weekend - probably one of their busiest days of the year - staff went out of their way to make two adjacent tables available on the beautiful patio for our group of 11, 6 of them kids. There's a very reasonable children's menu - my kids disdained it, of course. We ordered chips & salsa, getting extra salsas from the salsa bar inside, various burritos, & mole enchiladas, the latter being especially rich & rewarding. I had the stinger margarita with jalapeno & cilantro, which stood up even to the complex flavors of the mole sauce. Out of this world. My cousin had the basil margarita which was evidently just as tasty. Our waitress was excellent & I felt the final tab was quite reasonable given the quality of the food & ambiance.

Visited September 2012
Olympia, Washington
“Romance of travel”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent a weekend in Leavenworth in August 2012. The most delightful time we had was a dinner at South. We felt we were traving through Mexico, Belize, Peru and Argentina. The food is incomprable and the setting even better. Our favorite dish is carne asada. Their special margaritas really hit the spot although I started with a Tanqueray martini. The steel panels are fun to see. Can't wait to return

• Visited August 2012