“Elegant but unpretentious family-friendly vacation”

Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Leavenworth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 1, 2011

This resort shares our values, ie the value of family staying together in one room, the value of being outdoors and on foot, the value of no TVs or electronics, the value of no-smoking indoors or out, and the value of healthy organic food. The staff is very friendly and efficient; they treat you like a guest. The room was clean, bright and comfortable, roomy enough for us. The walls are rather thin, however, and on one of our nights a crying baby next door sounded like it was in the room with us. We slept well the second night. The grounds are well-kept and pleasant, and there are numerous activities available, such as a game room, library, lounge, exercise room and best of all the large rock hot tub, where you can socialize, or not; the resort is large enough that it never feels crowded and you can find plenty of places to be alone with nature. You can cross country ski or sled with the kids right out the door. The food is fabulous; usually buffets have wretched food but this one is exceptional. Dinner is on the expensive side (fortunately kids are less than half the price for adults) and I would recommend doing it once for the experience, then getting something at the deli the next night. We found the food a bit rich (lots of cream and butter) to be having every night. Overall, the resort is classy, without pretension, and a good value for the experience.

There are newer reviews for Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort

Reviewed March 1, 2011

First trip to Sleeping Lady. It exceeded my expectations. Beautiful setting, very calm and peaceful but plenty for everyone in the whole family to do. The food was absolutely delicious. Very helpful and friendly staff.

Reviewed March 1, 2011

I had high expectations of Sleeping Lady Resort and was very disappointed. I went here with my husband to have a romantic, quiet getaway weekend. One of the reasons we picked Sleeping Lady is it appeared and was advertised as a relaxing place to escape. What I didn't know is how many families with small children would be there. I'd say about 90% of the people who were there during my stay were families with small children. The meal times at the on site restaurant were hectic with kids bouncing around, jumping on the fireplace, bumping into your chair. Too many parents weren't watching what their children were doing. The other issue of having so many children at the resort was that you could hear them playing/talking/screaming in the unit next to yours. My husband and I were sandwiched between two families with kids & it did not make for a relaxing time. I'm not so sure the kids were really that loud, instead it seemed as if there was no insulation between the units, it doesn't make sense that a high end resort wouldn't invest in good construction. I nicely mentioned to the front desk person about the noise & they couldn't move us to a different unit. They tried the next day, but had planned to put us next to more kids. Perhaps they should try to put couples next to each other and families next to each other.

Another issue I had was the fan didn't work in the bathroom. I requested for it to be looked at, the front desk person told me a maintenance person would be there in 5 minutes, waited for 30 mins to no avail. Said screw it and left because we were planning on snowshoeing and didn't want to wait around any longer. When we inquired about it later the front desk person gave a poor excuse for why the maintenance man didn't show. Unacceptable.

Last thing-the rock pool wasn't in working order, which was a huge let down.

On the plus side, the food was very good. Great variety, lots of organic food, great salad bar. If you do visit Sleeping Lady I would highly recommend eating there. Also, I liked how the resort is very eco friendly.

With all of that said, for $292 a night I expected A LOT more! At the minimum I expected a relaxing atmosphere. I would only recommend this place to people with children or couples that don't mind paying top dollar for a noisy room.

5  Thank bridgerhiker
phelsel, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2011

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment during your recent stay at our resort. I appreciate your feedback as a tool to assist us in knowing the areas we need to improve on.

Our resort has become a popular destination for families so your suggestion of having accommodations set aside for travelers without children is something we can look at.

Thank you for your comments and I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations.

Reviewed February 22, 2011

We went for one night after skiing all day for our 40th anniversary. Went to dinner and it is still a buffet, gourmet they say but it is just alot of food. Did not feel like we ate a $39.00 each for dinner. Would not buy the package as we felt overpriced. We slept horrible as the bed was so soft it killed our backs. So we were up early and moving on, for that kind of money we expected more. The staff were exceptional in kindness and service. The location is beautiful as well, but overall we probably would not go back due to the beds alone, and price.

1  Thank daytonboy-70
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Sleeping Lady is a nice resort in an idelic setting, but we found the room crowded with too many beds (3) and only one chair, so not a comfortable palce to read or hang around. There are other places around to do that (Bar and Library, but still----. I suspect there are other rooms with better accomadations, we just got one of the last few rooms available. Another complaint was that the dinner was called gourmet and the bast part of the place, but how you could call a buffett gourmet (especially with fish as one of the mains) is a little confusing to me. (They did have a super tremendous salad bar though!) The third and complaint was the early end for dinner (had to be there by 7:15) which limited our ability to enjoy the many nice features of the property and the fact that they took the food away so quickly. Making the breakfast go later then 9:00 would be nice too.

1  Thank Bicycling
Reviewed February 22, 2011

This was our second trip to Sleeping Lady for a long winter weekend, and it was just as good as I remember it. Relaxing rooms, amazing food, and a location far enough outside of town that it's very quiet and peaceful on the grounds (but close enough to drop by to see the Bavarian wackiness in Leavenworth). We had a group of 4 adults, including my parents-in-law, and stayed for 2 nights/3 days. The relatives had a great time and are hoping to come out again in the summertime with friends.

We spent a couple of hours on our first day skiing at the adjacent Icicle Road trails, but there wasn't a lot of snow (had to scrap our plan to ski at Lake Wenatchee), so the next day we drove 40 minutes to Stevens Pass Nordic Center for a full day of cross-country skiing on their fun and extensive trail system. Back at the lodge, we relaxed in the hot rock pool, grabbed drinks and played board games in the 'Grotto' bar, and ate a well-deserved big, tasty dinner. Did I mention the food is great? And the Great Escape package seems like a pretty good deal to me, since it includes the room, breakfast, dinner, and XC boot & ski rentals, and with all that plus our drink & tips came to a little over $140 per person per night. Not bad at all!

A warning about the 'loft' rooms - the ladder/stair to the loft bed is quite steep (not for those with a fear of heights or difficulty climing up & down). Otherwise I can't think of a single complaint. I will definitely be back...

Reviewed January 26, 2011

Phenomenal get-a-way. Comfy, warm, lovely cottages nestled in the trees. Meals are organic and beyond delicious. Winter provides snow shoeing and cross country skiing areas adjacent to the buildings. Then there is the out door hot pool nestled in the rocks and surrounded by snow. Warm robes are provided to go to and from the pool. I could go on and on but suffice it to say a few days stay feels like you've entered another world where the cares of every day life can be left behind and you can come away feeling rejuvenated.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends