“And our pooch stayed with us!”

Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Leavenworth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 11, 2010

The setting is spectacular. The pool is warm and its surroundings are inspiring. Great hiking , kayaking, and biking.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed May 4, 2010

We absolutely loved the Sleeping Lady. I want to go back with my family and all of my close friends. I would recommend this place to everyone...and have! We will be back for sure. The meals were amazing! I will be dreaming about it for months to come. I love the little details they have tended to that make your stay memorable. I felt fully relaxed there. I love that everytime I steped outside, I heard birds singing. Thanks Sleeping Lady!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2010

we came here for a quick one night get-away and everything was outstanding. the food was amazing, accommodations were excellent, and the scenery/setting was magical. this was a great value - we'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Relaxing atmosphere, super loft room, thoughtful amenities and a staff that just rocks. And then there is the food. We just had breakfast and regret not spending the money for dinner. Breakfasts were fresh, original and the flavor was exceptional. Enjoyed a classic guitar recital in the chapel and missed the evening movie. Next time. And there will be a next time.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My sister and 2 cousins and I spent a lovely weekend at Sleeping Lady Resort outside Leavenworth, WA recently. Superb food in the dining hall, comfortable rooms and quality surroundings were had by all. Our rooms included towel warmers, robes, comfy beds, organic coffee and tea in the mornings. Breakfasts were wonderful in the dining room. Made-to-order anything, baked goods, fruit, veggies. Dinners were the best. Vegetarian offerings, great salad bar, beef, lamb, fish, desserts to die for, and a solid wine list. Couldn't ask for more. Sauna and hot soaking pool. It's camp for adults! We were there on a weekend in the off-season, but we could have booked spa treatments as well. A great place. Treat yourself!

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We managed to score the last room this past Saturday night, a bit of a splurge for us, and it was worth the price of admission. From the entry turn, to the checkin desk, to finding our room in the "Pond Cluster" (one of many clusters of buildings) the grounds were a pleasant opportunity for discovery. The architecture is beautiful along with the site design. The hot pool was incredibly relaxing for our ski weary bodies, and we managed to have it to ourselves both times we ventured out for a dip.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I can see how Sleeping Lady would be pretty nice for a business conference, because it is really designed as an outdoors-oriented institutional facility for organizations requiring group housing, conference rooms and cafeteria dining. But despite their recent efforts to re-brand themselves as a luxury resort, for us Sleeping Lady was not a great place for a couple seeking a quiet, relaxing getaway. The details, service and amenities just did not add up to what my husband and I expected for the price and the promise of a luxury resort. Our weekend was so fraught with aggravations that we are actually exhausted from the experience.

Personally, I have only a few simple requirements when I am on vacation: (1) I like to sleep in; (2) I like really nice food (I am a huge foodie); (3) I expect top-notch service; and (4) I like a nice shower. Here is how Sleeping Lady delivered on those desires.

(1) Forget about lingering lazily in bed at the "Sleeping" Lady. Breakfast in the only dining room, the Kingfisher Dining Lodge, is served from 7:30 to 9:00am. That means setting an alarm while on vacation—travesty! We did manage to snag the only room with a king-sized bed (the Eyrie), which was comfortable.

(2) Meals certainly were not relaxing, elegant events. The Kingfisher is really just a glorified cafeteria, albeit a tastefully decorated one. Guests stand in lines; share sticky serving utensils with a hundred+ other diners; deal with all manner of coughs, colds and jostling; and endure the frenetic ups-and-downs of yourself and your fellow diners (including children who like to touch everything) as everyone tries to navigate the array of food stations. The food itself was more gourmet than your average cafeteria and there were some tasty dishes. But overall, the dining experience was not nearly elegant or special enough to warrant the price or to pass as luxury dining. Also, the dining staff touted the local, organic food. But we were told by the chef that the salmon was from Scotland. Also, pineapple and melon were served at breakfast—in the middle of winter. To top it off, we both ended up with upset stomachs after having lunch at Sleeping Lady's deli, O'Grady's Pantry—the only walkable lunch option.

(3) Our table (we were seated at the same table for every meal) was so sticky that our glasses made a sucking sound when we picked them up. Even though we requested, after the first night, that our table be cleaned (really?—we had to ask for the table to be cleaned?), the table never was washed. With one exception, the wait staff did a poor job of serving beverages and clearing plates, their only service jobs since guests get their own food from the buffet. There were many instances in which we sat in frustration waiting for service. To cite but one example, after taking our order for a glass of wine, our waiter disappeared for over 15 minutes. I finally got up myself and went to the bar, where I then stood for several minutes waiting for the bartender to get it together—find our order, open a new bottle, find a wine glass, etc. In my book, that bartender should have been so mortified that we had to wait so long and I had to leave my dinner and my dining companion to get a glass of wine that he should have given us a glass, if not a bottle, of wine gratis. No chance; we were charged for the glass of wine.

(4) Even though we had paid extra to have the Eyrie cabin (sold as the facility's most deluxe room), it did not have a shower. Instead it had a Jacuzzi tub. I enjoy a luxurious bath once in awhile but the jets were coated with obvious black mold—gross. Anyway, we did not appreciate having a tub as our only bathing option. We really just wanted a nice hot shower.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snapper2279
phelsel, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2010

We are very sorry to hear of your recent experience at Sleeping Lady. We pride ourselves in providing guests with relaxing and memorable experiences and are disappointed that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. We’d very much like the opportunity to make things right, please give us a call at 800-574-2123. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention; we look forward to addressing the concerns you raised and to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.