“the best”

GreenLeadersGold level
poulsbo, Wa 98370
“the best”
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Relaxing atmosphere, super loft room, thoughtful amenities and a staff that just rocks. And then there is the food. We just had breakfast and regret not spending the money for dinner. Breakfasts were fresh, original and the flavor was exceptional. Enjoyed a classic guitar recital in the chapel and missed the evening movie. Next time. And there will be a next time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Spokane
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My sister and 2 cousins and I spent a lovely weekend at Sleeping Lady Resort outside Leavenworth, WA recently. Superb food in the dining hall, comfortable rooms and quality surroundings were had by all. Our rooms included towel warmers, robes, comfy beds, organic coffee and tea in the mornings. Breakfasts were wonderful in the dining room. Made-to-order anything, baked goods, fruit, veggies. Dinners were the best. Vegetarian offerings, great salad bar, beef, lamb, fish, desserts to die for, and a solid wine list. Couldn't ask for more. Sauna and hot soaking pool. It's camp for adults! We were there on a weekend in the off-season, but we could have booked spa treatments as well. A great place. Treat yourself!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
HumptyDumpty77
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We managed to score the last room this past Saturday night, a bit of a splurge for us, and it was worth the price of admission. From the entry turn, to the checkin desk, to finding our room in the "Pond Cluster" (one of many clusters of buildings) the grounds were a pleasant opportunity for discovery. The architecture is beautiful along with the site design. The hot pool was incredibly relaxing for our ski weary bodies, and we managed to have it to ourselves both times we ventured out for a dip.

Seattle
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I can see how Sleeping Lady would be pretty nice for a business conference, because it is really designed as an outdoors-oriented institutional facility for organizations requiring group housing, conference rooms and cafeteria dining. But despite their recent efforts to re-brand themselves as a luxury resort, for us Sleeping Lady was not a great place for a couple seeking a quiet, relaxing getaway. The details, service and amenities just did not add up to what my husband and I expected for the price and the promise of a luxury resort. Our weekend was so fraught with aggravations that we are actually exhausted from the experience.

Personally, I have only a few simple requirements when I am on vacation: (1) I like to sleep in; (2) I like really nice food (I am a huge foodie); (3) I expect top-notch service; and (4) I like a nice shower. Here is how Sleeping Lady delivered on those desires.

(1) Forget about lingering lazily in bed at the "Sleeping" Lady. Breakfast in the only dining room, the Kingfisher Dining Lodge, is served from 7:30 to 9:00am. That means setting an alarm while on vacation—travesty! We did manage to snag the only room with a king-sized bed (the Eyrie), which was comfortable.

(2) Meals certainly were not relaxing, elegant events. The Kingfisher is really just a glorified cafeteria, albeit a tastefully decorated one. Guests stand in lines; share sticky serving utensils with a hundred+ other diners; deal with all manner of coughs, colds and jostling; and endure the frenetic ups-and-downs of yourself and your fellow diners (including children who like to touch everything) as everyone tries to navigate the array of food stations. The food itself was more gourmet than your average cafeteria and there were some tasty dishes. But overall, the dining experience was not nearly elegant or special enough to warrant the price or to pass as luxury dining. Also, the dining staff touted the local, organic food. But we were told by the chef that the salmon was from Scotland. Also, pineapple and melon were served at breakfast—in the middle of winter. To top it off, we both ended up with upset stomachs after having lunch at Sleeping Lady's deli, O'Grady's Pantry—the only walkable lunch option.

(3) Our table (we were seated at the same table for every meal) was so sticky that our glasses made a sucking sound when we picked them up. Even though we requested, after the first night, that our table be cleaned (really?—we had to ask for the table to be cleaned?), the table never was washed. With one exception, the wait staff did a poor job of serving beverages and clearing plates, their only service jobs since guests get their own food from the buffet. There were many instances in which we sat in frustration waiting for service. To cite but one example, after taking our order for a glass of wine, our waiter disappeared for over 15 minutes. I finally got up myself and went to the bar, where I then stood for several minutes waiting for the bartender to get it together—find our order, open a new bottle, find a wine glass, etc. In my book, that bartender should have been so mortified that we had to wait so long and I had to leave my dinner and my dining companion to get a glass of wine that he should have given us a glass, if not a bottle, of wine gratis. No chance; we were charged for the glass of wine.

(4) Even though we had paid extra to have the Eyrie cabin (sold as the facility's most deluxe room), it did not have a shower. Instead it had a Jacuzzi tub. I enjoy a luxurious bath once in awhile but the jets were coated with obvious black mold—gross. Anyway, we did not appreciate having a tub as our only bathing option. We really just wanted a nice hot shower.

1 Thank snapper2279
phelsel, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
We are very sorry to hear of your recent experience at Sleeping Lady. We pride ourselves in providing guests with relaxing and memorable experiences and are disappointed that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. We’d very much like the opportunity to make things right, please give us a call at 800-574-2123. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention; we look forward to addressing the concerns you raised and to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Seattle, WA
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Romantic, beautiful, delicious....did I mention delicious?! The Sleeping Lady does not disappoint. From the secluded, cozy rooms, to the organic gardens and hidden hot rock pool, this is a place not only for couples who want to have a romantic getaway, but also families who wants to enjoy the simple beauty and relaxation of this secret gem. We came to Leavenworth to explore the area and found ourselves hard pressed to leave the property. Everything you want in a vacation is at your fingertips. We strongly recommend the dinner/breakfast package, where you are privy to organic, sustainable foods that are comparable to 5-star establishments. The staff are excellent and make you feel welcomed in every way. We will definitely be back! Hope to see you there!

WA
Reviewed March 29, 2010

This was our first visit and some of the things I loved were: quiet (no TV, etc), dog friendly, very comfortable and calming room with the light woods and natural colors, beds were very comfortable, ecologically minded, great organic/locally grown food--delicious, friendly servers, excellent help at check in desk, hot pool, tidiness of property, special anniversary dessert/attention.

Could improve:there was trash around the hot pool. Never did see doggie towel in the room...we didn't need one. Would have liked servers to bring us the wine.

Seattle
Reviewed March 29, 2010

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a second, brief honeymoon close to home (we live near Seattle), and the Sleeping Lady website looked intriguing, so we spent a LOT of money for a two night stay hoping the place would deliver like other luxury resorts at which we have stayed. Upon arriving, our bags were taken to our room and we were checked in quickly. We got to our room, the "Honeymoon Suite," the nicest room on the compound we were told, and promptly looked out our back doors to find two deer grazing just a few feet away. It seemed beautiful at first blush, and then we scratched the surface...
We immediately went to the outdoor hot tub, which was advertised as being "carved in stone." It is actually formed concrete which is so severely cracked that the massive amount of caulk they've used to try to fill the cracks has itself begun to crack and chip all around. Though it was unsightly, we chose to overlook both the advertised lie and the horrible repair work, as the water was warm and we had driven a long way.
Upon getting back to our room, we realized there was a jacuzzi, heavily advertised as well, but no shower. NO SHOWER in their "best" room. There was an abundance of mold on the jets and the faucet in the jacuzzi, which precluded a relaxing or cleansing bath. Upon exiting the bath, we noticed that the trusses above us in the main room were bent over one another such that the nails--and not the structural integrity of the timbers--were holding the roof together. Unless you are in architecture or design, this might be difficult to envision. Suffice to say that the room was not merely built in a style or taste that differs from my own; it was built incorrectly. Though we did not fear for our safety, we did wonder how such a flagrant and sloppy assembly of a "honeymoon suite" ever passed city inspection, which is to say nothing of the standards of the ownership/ management.
Then we went to dinner. As we have read in other reviews, the place is ideal for conferences. If your employer is footing the bill and you are in workshops all day, a cafeteria buffet line might not seem so bad. So there we were, among a hundred-or-so conference folks (and their kids), many of whom we overheard saying they were "coming down with something" as they reached for a common serving spoon or spatula with which to serve themselves. Many of the salad plates had fingerprint smudges on them, as did the forks and butter knives. I ordered wine and waited for 15 minutes, then had to get up and get it myself. The pour was very short and so I asked our waitress what the standard pour was, to which she replied, "I don't know, I just serve the stuff." At this point my wife and I began to realize that there were so many little things that were not quite right, so we regrouped and retired to our room to think it over.
The next morning we woke to our alarm so we would not miss breakfast. Initially, hearing that breakfast was served so early didn't raise any flags, but when you are at a place called "Sleeping Lady," a place that prides itself on rest and relaxation, waking to an alarm to ensure you get fed is more representative of prison than pamper. The man serving the food was over-the-top friendly, as though his good manner might divert your attention from the peculiar and abundant scabs all over his un-gloved serving hands. "We're really happy you are joining us this morning." The waitress asked me if I wanted coffee three times, but did not ask my wife once. At this point it was beginning to get funny. Could there really be so many oversights and missteps by so many employees in so short a time? Are we totally unreasonable guests? As we were deciding whether this was horrific or hilarious, two children raced to the dessert table and touched/ grabbed/ put back no fewer than five desserts each, to which a server addressed their mother, "You have lovely children." Unbelievable.
At dinner that night we were seated in front of the fireplace, and then we were told that they don't light the fire this time of year. It was March, there was snow all over the place, there was a fire at breakfast that morning, there was a fire the following morning at breakfast, but there will not be a fire tonight for dinner. In the "Fireside Room." What?
I could go on and on. It was a spectacular failure of the Emperor-Has-No-Clothes kind. Sleeping Lady has invested almost 2 million dollars on "rebranding" themselves, not on improving the amenities or training their staff, but rebranding. The glossy brochures and the beautiful website and the Chihuly glass piece outside the cafeteria seem to be part of a very expensive effort to influence guest's perceptions of the place, without ever improving or addressing the things that might actually improve the quality of one's stay. The "all local ingredients" they use in their food, for example, included pineapple and melons. In March. In Washington State. Right. Look, I love pineapple, don't get me wrong, but why lie about where it's from? And at our last dinner the guy serving our food bragged to every person he served, "This is fresh salmon from Scotland." WHAT?? Look, I don't mind Scotland or salmon, but what's the BS about "all local"?
The place is 100% fluff, all talk and no substance. A motel 6 masquerading as a five-star resort. The good staff are untrained, the bad staff are rude, and every employee has obviously been told to talk the place up, as though the guests have no ability to discern quality for themselves. I was embarrassed for the place and might take some time to get over the hundreds of dollars I spent on a room and an experience that was so flagrantly misrepresented.
If you are part of a conference or have children, this is the place for you. It is not restful, and you will not relax. There is an excuse for every substandard amenity or employee, and if you are unfortunate enough to get the Honeymoon Suite, you will not shower until you get home.
On the plus side, the drive home was beautiful.

5 Thank LarryQ
Wildflower98826, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2010
I am so very sorry to hear of your recent and rather disappointing experience at Sleeping Lady. We strive to provide each and every guest with a relaxing and enjoyable stay and are saddened that we may have fallen short of your expectations. As evidenced by other reviews on this site, your experience is an unfortunate exception and we’d very much like the opportunity to make things right. Please give us a call at 800-574-2123. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention; we look forward to addressing your concerns and welcoming you back soon.

Paula Helsel