“Simply fantastic...”

Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Leavenworth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Romantic, beautiful, delicious....did I mention delicious?! The Sleeping Lady does not disappoint. From the secluded, cozy rooms, to the organic gardens and hidden hot rock pool, this is a place not only for couples who want to have a romantic getaway, but also families who wants to enjoy the simple beauty and relaxation of this secret gem. We came to Leavenworth to explore the area and found ourselves hard pressed to leave the property. Everything you want in a vacation is at your fingertips. We strongly recommend the dinner/breakfast package, where you are privy to organic, sustainable foods that are comparable to 5-star establishments. The staff are excellent and make you feel welcomed in every way. We will definitely be back! Hope to see you there!

Reviewed March 29, 2010

This was our first visit and some of the things I loved were: quiet (no TV, etc), dog friendly, very comfortable and calming room with the light woods and natural colors, beds were very comfortable, ecologically minded, great organic/locally grown food--delicious, friendly servers, excellent help at check in desk, hot pool, tidiness of property, special anniversary dessert/attention.

Could improve:there was trash around the hot pool. Never did see doggie towel in the room...we didn't need one. Would have liked servers to bring us the wine.

Reviewed March 29, 2010

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a second, brief honeymoon close to home (we live near Seattle), and the Sleeping Lady website looked intriguing, so we spent a LOT of money for a two night stay hoping the place would deliver like other luxury resorts at which we have stayed. Upon arriving, our bags were taken to our room and we were checked in quickly. We got to our room, the "Honeymoon Suite," the nicest room on the compound we were told, and promptly looked out our back doors to find two deer grazing just a few feet away. It seemed beautiful at first blush, and then we scratched the surface...
We immediately went to the outdoor hot tub, which was advertised as being "carved in stone." It is actually formed concrete which is so severely cracked that the massive amount of caulk they've used to try to fill the cracks has itself begun to crack and chip all around. Though it was unsightly, we chose to overlook both the advertised lie and the horrible repair work, as the water was warm and we had driven a long way.
Upon getting back to our room, we realized there was a jacuzzi, heavily advertised as well, but no shower. NO SHOWER in their "best" room. There was an abundance of mold on the jets and the faucet in the jacuzzi, which precluded a relaxing or cleansing bath. Upon exiting the bath, we noticed that the trusses above us in the main room were bent over one another such that the nails--and not the structural integrity of the timbers--were holding the roof together. Unless you are in architecture or design, this might be difficult to envision. Suffice to say that the room was not merely built in a style or taste that differs from my own; it was built incorrectly. Though we did not fear for our safety, we did wonder how such a flagrant and sloppy assembly of a "honeymoon suite" ever passed city inspection, which is to say nothing of the standards of the ownership/ management.
Then we went to dinner. As we have read in other reviews, the place is ideal for conferences. If your employer is footing the bill and you are in workshops all day, a cafeteria buffet line might not seem so bad. So there we were, among a hundred-or-so conference folks (and their kids), many of whom we overheard saying they were "coming down with something" as they reached for a common serving spoon or spatula with which to serve themselves. Many of the salad plates had fingerprint smudges on them, as did the forks and butter knives. I ordered wine and waited for 15 minutes, then had to get up and get it myself. The pour was very short and so I asked our waitress what the standard pour was, to which she replied, "I don't know, I just serve the stuff." At this point my wife and I began to realize that there were so many little things that were not quite right, so we regrouped and retired to our room to think it over.
The next morning we woke to our alarm so we would not miss breakfast. Initially, hearing that breakfast was served so early didn't raise any flags, but when you are at a place called "Sleeping Lady," a place that prides itself on rest and relaxation, waking to an alarm to ensure you get fed is more representative of prison than pamper. The man serving the food was over-the-top friendly, as though his good manner might divert your attention from the peculiar and abundant scabs all over his un-gloved serving hands. "We're really happy you are joining us this morning." The waitress asked me if I wanted coffee three times, but did not ask my wife once. At this point it was beginning to get funny. Could there really be so many oversights and missteps by so many employees in so short a time? Are we totally unreasonable guests? As we were deciding whether this was horrific or hilarious, two children raced to the dessert table and touched/ grabbed/ put back no fewer than five desserts each, to which a server addressed their mother, "You have lovely children." Unbelievable.
At dinner that night we were seated in front of the fireplace, and then we were told that they don't light the fire this time of year. It was March, there was snow all over the place, there was a fire at breakfast that morning, there was a fire the following morning at breakfast, but there will not be a fire tonight for dinner. In the "Fireside Room." What?
I could go on and on. It was a spectacular failure of the Emperor-Has-No-Clothes kind. Sleeping Lady has invested almost 2 million dollars on "rebranding" themselves, not on improving the amenities or training their staff, but rebranding. The glossy brochures and the beautiful website and the Chihuly glass piece outside the cafeteria seem to be part of a very expensive effort to influence guest's perceptions of the place, without ever improving or addressing the things that might actually improve the quality of one's stay. The "all local ingredients" they use in their food, for example, included pineapple and melons. In March. In Washington State. Right. Look, I love pineapple, don't get me wrong, but why lie about where it's from? And at our last dinner the guy serving our food bragged to every person he served, "This is fresh salmon from Scotland." WHAT?? Look, I don't mind Scotland or salmon, but what's the BS about "all local"?
The place is 100% fluff, all talk and no substance. A motel 6 masquerading as a five-star resort. The good staff are untrained, the bad staff are rude, and every employee has obviously been told to talk the place up, as though the guests have no ability to discern quality for themselves. I was embarrassed for the place and might take some time to get over the hundreds of dollars I spent on a room and an experience that was so flagrantly misrepresented.
If you are part of a conference or have children, this is the place for you. It is not restful, and you will not relax. There is an excuse for every substandard amenity or employee, and if you are unfortunate enough to get the Honeymoon Suite, you will not shower until you get home.
On the plus side, the drive home was beautiful.

5  Thank LarryQ
Wildflower98826, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2010

I am so very sorry to hear of your recent and rather disappointing experience at Sleeping Lady. We strive to provide each and every guest with a relaxing and enjoyable stay and are saddened that we may have fallen short of your expectations. As evidenced by other reviews on this site, your experience is an unfortunate exception and we’d very much like the opportunity to make things right. Please give us a call at 800-574-2123. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention; we look forward to addressing your concerns and welcoming you back soon.

Paula Helsel

Reviewed March 10, 2010

it wasn't until we arrived in leavenworth that we could really appreciate staying outside the village itself in the more tranquil setting provided by the sleeping lady. the arrangement of the facilities at sleeping lady create a wonderfully peaceful setting, and with the availability of the restaurant and bar, there was no need to get into a car in the evening. a good hike, returning to the sleeping lady for a soak in the large outdoor tub, dinner and drinks amounted to a memorable time.

Reviewed March 9, 2010

I brought my sisters to Sleeping Lady a decade ago to cross-country ski and celebrate my 50th birthday. This year we were going to go to Europe to celebrate my 60th, but with the economy the way it is, we decided to have a reunion at Sleeping Lady to celebrate my 60th. It's like the best of the Northwest and Europe combined and without the travel time. The service is superlative and the food beyond compare. That it is a green and environmentally conscious destination nestled into a beautiful location with mountains, trees, water, and fresh air, it is the perfect place to reconnect with family, friends and Nature. We have already decided to return on my 70th birthday and I have decided to take an annual solo retreat and to bring my board of directors here for one of our board meetings. I feel spoiled and at home and at peace, all at the same time, at Sleeping Lady.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I had the pleasure of spending 3 nights last week with my 8 year old son in this unique setting. I was looking for somewhere with organically grown healthy food so I wouldn't spend my time cooking and not too far to drive from where I live.
It was a little over 2 hours drive from where I live in north Seattle area. The drive was spectacular with snowy mountains, evergreen trees and the meandering river.
I arrived to a wooded wonderland with architecture that blended beautifully into the surroundings. There were sculptures and artwork both indoors and outdoors that gave me the feeling I was in a natural setting gallery.
As the cost was average, I wasn't expecting high quality touches. I was amazed to find comfortable natural fibre comforters, sheets and bathrobes. The toiletries, coffees and teas were all organic and thoughtfully selected. The cleanliness and warmth of all the buildings made it more luxurious than home (and I like to keep a clean house).
I immediatly felt as ease and settled into the place like I was in a small pedestrian friendly village. We met wonderful people while we were there who were also guests and my son could wander around freely. We even met some people we know who were in the area for the weekend and had stopped by to do an art walk. Their son ended up joining us for dinner and the staff were flexible and accomodating in including him at little extra cost.
The best part for me was the outstanding food and service in the dinning room. We had evening dinner and breakfast included. The freshness and quality of the food reminded me of the better European restaurants I've eaten in. I was delighted with the selection, quality and service. There were a mix of families with young kids and adult guests. The atmosphere managed to accomodate both with ease providing a quiet dining experience and room for kids to walk around and help themselves to what they liked.
There was a convenient shuttle from the parking lot to the town of Leavenworth which was free and meant I did not need my car at all.
On the day we left, my car battery was down as I'd left a light on. There was assistance available instantly and within a short time we were on our way again.
This was thoroughly a delightful stay for me and my son and we both want to make it our next getaway.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Read before you go and you will know what Sleeping Lady is all about. I loved every moment of my two day, three night stay. The food of fresh produce, fish, beef, and desserts is wonderful! Breakfasts by chef Tim--outstanding! Harriet Bullits' idea of combining nature/environment, art, beauty, and "food to die for" is a winner for me. What a beautifully rustic environment it is. With breakfast and dinner included in my Amtrak package, it was well worth the cost! I have already recommended Sleeping Lady to those friends whom I know love the rustic outdoor mountain retreat environment and to those whom I know appreciate first-rate cuisine that can be found anywhere in the world where food is looked at as an "experience" to be savored!

bjl