“Best to adjust your expectations accordingly...”

Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Leavenworth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 7, 2013

While I really do love the Sleeping Lady, I have to acknowledge that adjusting one's expectations to the aesthetic of the place does put quite a bit of topspin on the overall experience of staying there. It is, for all things better and worse, a haven for Western Washington weekenders: those of us who slap a SUP or our mountain bikes up onto our roof racks and put the pedal down hard the moment we leave work on Friday, and who are looking for little more than a fairly quite and central location to kick back between trail runs and tourist indulgences.

That isn't intended to be a slight on the Resort itself, but the folks at Sleeping Lady know full well that they're offering a comparatively upscale experience (Compared to the majority of the area's roadside motels and nearby resorts), and play that hand up, hard. The end result is a bit of a mixed bag: the spa is glorious, the grounds are idyllic, the trails nearby are some of the finest within a two-hour haul from Seattle, but the buffet really is overpriced and overblown and the place fills up to the brim by late Saturday afternoon (For best results, try showing up at the hot tub and pool about a half-hour before midnight, when the crowds and kids FINALLY subside a bit). That split suits my tastes just fine, but I can also see where someone who wasn't just overnighting it would find the results to be less than the "boutique experience" promised by the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank melancholick
pkhels, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We appreciate hearing from our guests and your feedback is important for our continuous journey of improving our service. Sleeping Lady has been renowned for our food and are upgrading the dining experience as we speak.

We hope to serve you again in the future and would love to hear your thoughts on the changes we are making in the culinary department.

Paula Helsel/GM

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We used to visit the Sleeping Lady about once a year and have always found it to be a wonderful and charming eco resort in the woods. Unfortunately, this past valentines day, which also happened to be our anniversary the following day, we chose to go to the Sleeping Lady for a romantic getaway. We were shocked at how many screaming children were running amuck in the dining room (50 dollar dinners and there are children running everywhere), children running amuck outside our cabin at 7:30-8:00 in the morning, children in the cabin attached to us screaming at 7 am. We called the front desk multiple times, nothing happened, my fiancee went to ask nicely if they would quiet down, nothing happened. They finally moved us to another room and assured us there would be no children next to us. That night at about 9 pm, a family with children moved into the room next to us and the children proceeded to scream and yell in the loft until all hours of the night and then in the morning we were woken up again by the children. This used to always be our go to place for a relaxing weekend but now if anyone asked me I would tell them not to waste their money. I didn't pay almost 300 dollars a night to not get any sleep. Also, the food was seriously lacking the last time we were there. This is what happens when places get too concerned about the money and they lose all the quality. This was not a relaxing couples weekend by any means and I regret our decision to visit the Sleeping Lady. We will not be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Megan M

I so regret hearing you had such a disappointing stay with us. Our resort has attracted a large number of families over the past few years and we are always looking for ways to to provide the best experience possible for all of our guests. I apologize that we missed that mark for your very special weekend. We built the Play Barn as a space for families to gather and are looking at adding a pool for children to make the Woodland Rock pool a more relaxing experience for our other guests.

We value your comments and appreciate the feedback as we look for ways to improve our resort.

GM

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We paid a lot to stay at this hotel because of it's proximity to the trails. The air only worked if the main switch was on. The beds were really comfortable but that didn't make of for the lacking elements. No fan in the bathroom, the window was broke in the bathroom and their were dispensers attached to the wall for soap and shampoo. I don't know about you, but when I spend over $400 a night (2 adults, 2 kids) I expect a certain level of quality. This place was lacking.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Heather B
pkhels, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us to address any areas that don't meet or exceed our guests expectations. I regret to hear about the fan and window in your bathroom. We do have fans in all of our bathrooms so I will have maintenance do a round to check all windows and fans. The dispensers are part of our environmental commitment and I am sorry they didn't meet your needs.

GM

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Do not expect a resort when you visit. The "resort" consists of mediocre (attached) cabins out in the woods. There is a small pool, a game room, a musty library, etc. The bathrooms reminded me of indoor camping -- dispensers on the wall (the shampoo dispenser did not work) and the bathroom may be clean but doesn't feel that way -- it had a fair number of bugs (in fairness, it is a cabin in the woods) and a dank feel to it. Housekeeping was awful -- sloppily made up the bed and touched nothing else.

A lot of families seem to come here for vacation, so be prepared for lots of screaming children in the dining room and around the grounds. The food at the restaurant is poor -- heavy on the salt and not interesting or flavorful. It's cafeteria style, so for every meal I ended up eating a few bites of each dish and tossing the rest. It was disappointing.

The service was aggravating. We were repeatedly told where to sit in the dining room, and scolded at one point for sitting in the "wrong" place. I could possibly understand this except for the fact that the dining room was mostly empty and remained that way during our meal. Yet for some reason we were not permitted to sit at the patio tables or by the windows -- all of which were left empty during our meals.

A bachelorette party in the cabin next door was loud in the evening and then woke us up again after midnight, which made it hard to relax or get a good night's sleep.

If you're here for a conference, it is just barely tolerable. If you are a couple looking for a nice getaway at a resort, this place is way overpriced and simply does not deliver as either a resort or a spa. Do not waste your money here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Seaviolet
pkhels, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I regret hearing your stay was so disappointing. Your feedback will enable us to take a closer look at the areas your outlined in your review. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and apologize we didn't meet your expectations.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The setting in the trees with native grounds was very relaxing. The cabins were CLEAN and attractive. They did miss on good lighting and comfortable chairs. Of I were staying more than overnight I would have as the desk for chairs....for the price you would expect the best. IF YOU LIKE A GOOD MEAT AND POTATO MEAL you will be VERY DISAPPOINTED in the $90 dinner (for 2) they include in their "package" deal----it was a second rate "gourmet" meal. Considering the meal package you are forced to purchase, we will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank grizzlygiant

Thank you for your feedback. I'm so disappointed we didn't provide you with a better experience. Your comments regarding lighting and a comfortable chair in the room is very helpful. I regret to hear about your dining experience. I would love to talk to you personally about it if you are open to calling me at the resort.

Again, I appreciate your comments very much and I would enjoy speaking with you.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Sleeping Lady is in a beautiful setting. We enjoyed the location very much. However the food is very buffet. It is not bad food, it just is not that enjoyable. We were not impressed and found ourselves dreading the next meal after being there for 3 nights. The staff are inconsistent in their knowledge and follow through, but always pleasant. For example, we ran out of toilet paper and after asking for it 3 times, we finally went and found some ourselves. If you go, ask for a room that is separated from the quads, as noise from families with small children is a factor.

Room Tip: Some rooms are set up in a quad setting. Ask for a room that is in one of the independent buildings...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ckeWashingtonState

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I so appreciate guest's feedback as it gives us the opportunity to work on training areas. It is our goal to provide exemplary service and need to know where we are missing the mark.

We hope to have you as our guests again in the near future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My friends and I just got back from a weekend getaway to Leavenworth. We really enjoyed our night at Sleeping Lady. The dinner and breakfast were just delicious. The loft room was wonderfully rustic and comfortable. I would definitely return for another visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent girls getaway. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again!