“Disappointing”

Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Leavenworth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 28, 2012

It could be a wonderful resort but I felt that the level of customer service was below par.

It wasn't' easy to find our cabin because the lighting is poor at night. I know it's a mountain getaway but the property needs to be better illuminated. We had a senior and a young child in our party. My son thought it was an adventure at first but then got scared, the senior was worried about tripping over. I wanted to go to the hot pool by myself later but didn't go because it didn't seem very safe to be out there by myself at night (anyone can get onto the property).

There were three adults in our party but only two robes provided. There was no soap and only one body lotion.

We also noticed that some cabins had Adirondack chairs outside but ours didn't. We also weren't told that there were carts we could use for luggage (we couldn't see them because we arrived after dark). The next day, after struggling back to our car with luggage, we saw some people having their luggage delivered by a member of staff in a golf cart. We didn't know this was an option either.

Our cabin was by a fountain/pond. Since we have a young child I would have preferred that we were not quite so close to a potentially dangerous feature. I think it would be good for resort to avoid putting families with young kids in the fountain cluster.

The biggest disappointment was that the pool wasn't open. The website gave the impression that it opened in April. We were given a discount because of this but we wouldn't have stayed here if we had known. My son was so disappointed. We booked it because it looked so lovely online. The scenery is lovely, and so are the cabins ... the staff just need to be a bit more helpful and really make people feel at home.

The people who checked us in and out were nice and friendly but we just didn't feel well taken care of, and that spoiled our stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank WA-Mum68

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed here during a holiday weekend and were not pleased with the staff or meals. I would suggest giving people the option to eat at the Kingfisher; I am guessing the reason there is not an option is because no one would go eat there. The food is just OK, not something I would pay $40 p/person. If I were going to pay this high price again I would stay downtown. It is not worth $300++ a night. When you pay $300 per night you expect a certain level of service, rooms, and you will not get it here.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank Autumnlvr
Wildflower98826, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I regret to hear you were disappointed with the food and service. Sleeping Lady is renowned for our food service so it is helpful to know when we miss the mark.

Feedback is critical in assisting us to maintain our high standards of providing exemplary service and quality. Again, thank you and hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

Stayed here in mid April 2012 with my wife...booked on Expedia and found the rate to be very reasonable. (We elected to just get the cabin and forgo the packages listed on their web site)
This was early in the season so we had the place largely to ourselves. Dinner at the Kingfisher was excellent. We found to staff to very accomodating. There is a significant amount of artwork on the grounds and the local trails and views are superb. The layout is such that you can easily move from different parts of the resort. I can easily see where this place would be a great spot for a wedding of a group getaway. The buildings are lodge style and fit in perfectly with the surroundings, the resort has a secludded feel but is only a couple minutes from town. No tv but who cares...if you are the type that must have this, this resort is probably not for you....between the nice bar,animal and bird watching,fire pits, stars, pool, hot tub, game room etc...you should be able to kind something to entertain you. A read an earlier scathing review and having been here first hand I am a bit mystified by the other guests feelings...( maybe it was bad luck, or due to the season just starting, or perhaps they wanted a "city" spa.) ...perfect no...what is? But if you take the whole place in context I give it a solid 4 stars.

Room Tip: the loft units sleep more , but the ladder is a bit steep
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2012

This review is for the Sleeping Lady "resort." This review does not include the Kingfisher restaurant since I found that it had a separate entry on TripAdvisor. For the record, I gave the restaurant 4 stars, you can check the review if you're interested.

Sleeping Lady:
Management, please do not take this personally, all criticism is constructive and there are definite suggestions on how to fix everything that's wrong. Please note each of them carefully.

First off, when I hear the words "resort and spa," I am thinking The Broadmoor at Colorado Springs or the Sheraton BlackRock in Maui. This is not a resort or a spa, it's not even 50% or 25%, maybe 0.001%. They might meet the bare bones of the dictionary definition but you will see why this place is not a resort. I am not a city-snob either. I love the outdoors and have traveled widely all over the northwest and Alaska.

I took lots of pictures, of everything. Take a look at the pictures attached to my review for yourself and try to remember you are looking at a place that charges 300$ a night minimum during the off-season, keep that in mind for every picture you see here. We were here for 2 nights. Also keep in mind, they usually charge way more than 300$ a night as it was their off-season.

When we first arrived at the resort we parked as near the main office as we could. The place is a compound of smallish administrative buildings and townhouse cabins spread out in differently named "clusters." This place bills itself as a "nature-lover's paradise." However, they take this to the extreme in bad ways and fall short of true conservation in many others.

When we checked in we were told we needed to relocate our vehicle to a lot and then hike 1/5 of a mile with all our stuff to our cabin cluster. There were carts that looked like they had been used for gardening or rubbish haul away that they said we could use to pack our stuff along the paths. Not very convenient for a 300$ a night "resort."

When we got to our cabin cluster we found out that the cabin was really a townhouse-looking structure and shared a common wall with another next door. Not a big deal until we found out the walls were paper thin and we could hear everything next door. For 300$ a night I expect better insulation and construction.

The inside of the cabin was facetious to the extreme. There were little conservation pamphlets and cards everywhere describing what great lengths the hotel went to to save water, power, resources, etc. The problem with that is that it's just a front. The cabins have very tall ceilings with tons of empty space that you have to waste electricity on heating up before the area where you are on the ground gets warm. Yes there are lofts to one side but they take up only 1/4 of the ceiling space, the rest is wasted and that means that the power company has to burn more coal to keep Sleeping Lady warm because they are so inefficiently designed.
The ceilings are bare exposed boards, take a close look at them in the pictures. I did a test by turning off the heat to see how fast the cabin lost heat through the ceiling and the thin-looking windows, it was cold within 30 minutes. I can't imagine their power bill or all the energy they are wasting.

The beds in the rooms are uncomfortable spring mattresses. Management, if you are reading this, you should know that for a minimum of 300$ a night (and you usually charge more), travelers expect memory foam mattresses. If you don't want to shell out for the nice Tempurpedic ones at least get the cheap knock-off brands from Costco! I know you shop at Costco because you are reselling Costco bulk snacks in your lobby. The sheets were thin with a low thread count and the static in the cabins was insane. I took a video of moving around in the sheets and it looks like a German discotheque. Management, if you know your climate is conducive to static then put humidifiers in the rooms and use fabric softener when you dry sheets! Hotels in Alaska and Maine have no trouble understanding this.

The cabins were in bad shape. Fixtures were falling off of the wall, the water spout in the tub was pointed sideways and we could not turn it correctly! Wall-racks for towels and clothes literally came off when we touched them. There were holes in the walls, ceiling, and the floor was scuffed and scratched beyond belief. My wife got several blisters in her feet while staying there. The shower-head was improperly installed and there was a big ugly hole around it where you could see into the bathroom wall and see the mold growing in there. The toilet seat had sharp edges and holes on it! I could not believe it! See the pictures for yourself. The shower was dusty and had human hair still in it, gross!

All the fixtures are very cheap. When we first got to the room we arrived to find the toilet clogged from the previous guest and the housekeeping had ignored it.. We phoned the front desk and 30 minutes later a guy showed up with a plunger. Later we found out why, the toilets are extremely weak and you need to flush each piece of toilet paper down individually to avoid clogging them. The hair drier was old, scratched and dented. The one nice feature in the rooms were the towel warmers, however the one in the bathroom was malfunctioning, making noises, and not heating up, so we couldn't use it.

There was very little hot water. Trying to fill up the bathtub once used all of it. Unacceptable.

The cabins have lofts in them, The lofts contain another small bed and a dresser. The problem with these lofts is they are ridiculously dangerous. The ladders to get up to them are extremely steep. The hand rails are shallow and close to the ladder itself. The steps on the ladder are extremely slippery polished wood with no traction whatsoever. If you try to go up these in your socks you could easily slip and crack your chin, or worse, break your neck. The lofts are also very high up. I would not feel comfortable with children or elderly parents trying to use the loft. As it was, we were lucky we didn't have any with us.

There is wireless internet here, but I marked it as not present down below. This is because their network is so awful that it isn't useful. Over and over I would try to connect to one of their two networks: SleepingLady or SLCR. I work in IT so I know how to set up a network and how to keep it working. I also know how shady hotels cut costs with bad hardware and bad internet plans. I kept connecting but could not get access to the outside, this is because they must have been using a cheap residential wireless router that is not designed to handle hundreds of connections at once. The problem is that this place regularly hosts corporate retreats and they advertise that all over the place. I could not imagine trying to run a corporate retreat here with no internet. A woman in the staff kept trying to help me by resetting their router (which means I'm sure it was knocking other guests off just so I could get on) but even then it didn't work, and I had 4 different devices with me. It wouldn't be a big deal except that there was no TV in the room and they advertised working internet. I finally got on at 11pm at night but never after that. Management, if you are reading this, go invest in an industrial business-class cable modem and wireless router with a set of high amplitude repeaters to cover your whole property. Or better yet, if you are going to charge 300$ a night put a wireless router in each room and put in dedicated lines to each cabin. Even wired ethernet ports would be better than nothing. You simply cannot make due with your weak hardware.
If you do have good hardware and I am wrong, then you need to hire someone to set it up properly!

The property grounds were in terrible shape. Yes, it was the beginning of spring with a lot of snow still around, but it was filthy. There were piles of dirt everywhere on top of the snow. There were heaps of rubbish and dead plants and the place looked like it was being landscaped. Management, if you are reading this you need to invest in ways to keep your property looking pristine year round. Snow and cold is no excuse for shoddy grounds-keeping. There was mud and debris everywhere. Look at the pictures.

Lets talk about the "spa" aspect of this place for a second. They are not the spa, it's deceptive on their website and not entirely clear. They outsource all their treatments to Solstice Spa, a different business, in the town of Leavenworth nearby. If you want to schedule a treatment you actually have to talk to the other business in town on the phone, absurd. Yes, they will come out to the Sleeping Lady but a true resort should have staff on-site. Also, you better schedule your treatments way in advance. If you wait until you get there to do it you will be out of luck as they offer very few appointments.
Their sauna is a tiny closet-sized room. It's nice that it's open 24 hours, but to get a spot in there you will need to probably show up at 3am. Their "natural rock pool" was closed due to the time of year, but I got some pictures of what it looks like empty and it's not natural: it's concrete.
What was funny was they had signs saying "no glass" around the pools but there was a glass next to it that had been there a long time... I took a picture of this.
There were dirty and used towels strewn all around the hot tub.

The "playhouse" has the only TV on the premises and it's on one of those schoolroom carts and looks like it's from 1989. There is a pool table, ping-pong table, and a Foosball table. There is a library with a very sparse collection of old books. There is a piano in there too, which was actually pretty nice.

Aside from snowshoeing or Nordic skiing, there is not much to do there so they actually advertise their several gift shops and nearby stores as amenities. Also, they resell cheap Costco bulk foods for 1-2$ a piece in their lobby. I took pictures of the Annie's Snacks and Z-Bars. They are earning about 1000% profit on those, nice touch. They also had vending machines on-site, very tacky. They must not be earning enough from that 300$ a night rate...

The gym had a couple machines in it, mirrors, free-weights and that's about it. I can't imagine how if even 10% of their max capacity guests tried to use it at the same time. Again, you'll be sweating barbells at midnight. The water jug there was empty.

There is a old ski-lift chair next to the restaurant that I was told was for the owner to get across the river when it gets high. My advice to the owner is stop spending money on crap like that and get an efficiency consultant to come in and revamp your resort. For 300-550$ a night you should have plenty of cash for a total overhaul and renovation of everything.
Also, there were really cool sculptures and art pieces everywhere, but it was ridiculous to think they had splurged on all the art but skimped on the infrastructure and maintenance.

The service was so-so. Some staff were friendly, others were in-different. Nothing remarkable here.

All-in-all, this place had great potential, but my guess is that it's way past its hey-day and the management is squeezing it to get every drop of cash out that they can before the place completely falls apart.

Suggestions to make this place better:
-Fix your website. Don't over-hype simple things because you don't have much. People hate filler or false advertising.
-Get your own onsite spa staff. You cannot be a legitimate resort without it.
-Fix your internet and network stuff. See the comments above.
-Renovate all the cabins. New interiors, furniture, fixtures, everything. Take the place from 1980 to 2012.
-Embrace true conservation with more energy-efficient room designs, fixtures, and appliances.
-Break up the giant parking lots that are far away from everything and put small parking lots near each cabin cluster. Yes, people like to hike, but they don't like to hike with suitcases!
If not, then have staff ready with those electric golf carts I saw ready to port guests and their baggage to their rooms. Those agricultural push carts do not cut it.
-Each accommodation should be a separate building, or else drastically improve the insulation in the walls.
-Get rid of lofts. They are tacky, and very energy inefficient and environmentally irresponsible, not to mention dangerous the way you implement them.
-Lower the ceilings and get better roof/ceiling insulation.
-Get better beds. Since you are trying to pass yourselves off as a resort go for memory foam mattresses (and don't try to cheap out by getting the foam toppers, get the whole mattress).
-Get rid of all the resource-saving pamphlets and cards, at least until you improve your resource efficiency. Even then, they still look tacky.
-Make sure housekeeping does a deep clean in between guests. Human refuse in the bathroom should not go overlooked.
-Put humidifiers in the cabins and use fabric softener when drying your sheets! Having your guests shocked all night long is bad!
-Put in big water heaters into each of your units. One bath should not use up all the hot water.
-Finish wood floors properly. Splinters hurt feet.
-Take care of the grounds. No one wants to see mud, dirt and debris everywhere. And they will not accept winter or spring as an excuse.
-Stock the library with lots of books and add in some current best-sellers. Having a choice between Shakespeare, the Bible, or random 1970s pictorial conservation is not enough.
-Make the playhouse a genuine one with more stuff. 3 gaming tables, a stage and some boardgames is not enough.
-Keep the concrete-rock pool open year-round and heat it in the winter. The hot tub gets far too crowded, especially in the cold season which is when it is highest demand!
-Keep pets out of your restaurants and bars!

-If you refuse to improve the place, lower your rates by 50-75% and remove the resort from your name. Be reasonable.

I would consider coming back if the ownership and management sincerely address all of these issues.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the parking lot and restaurant, the other stuff isn't worthwhile and you...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
43  Thank SeattleKC
Wildflower98826, General Manager at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay at Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort. I appreciate your comments and we welcome constructive feedback. We will certainly address the areas of physical improvement you pointed out in your photos.

Our facilityis recognized nationally and throughout the state for our environmental responsibility and conservation methods. Although I appreciate your comments perhaps you would be interested in more information regarding our efforts.

Again thank you for your feedback and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

Just came back from my third trip to Sleeping Lady. It's family friendly, dog friendly and Earth friendly. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The food is a gourmet, healthy indulgence and the setting is the ultimate experience for nature lovers.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank CL-WA
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We have been to Sleeping Lady four times. Twice in summer and twice in winter. The food was great and my 12 year old son who has Celiac disease always left happy with the food available to him and the service provided. When my son wanted to try a different desert that was not labeled gluten free, the head chef came out twice to tell him what he could safely eat from the large variety of deserts that they offered.The only thing that my son wanted that was not available was gluten free rolls or baguette for dinner instead of gluten free sliced bread. Each time we chose the loft room which was just right and perfect for a family of five. The grounds are beautiful, and it was just perfect in winter to cross country ski and snow shoe on the trail next to the resort. This is a place we plan on staying at many more times.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mhhddc
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed mid-week, post Valentine's Day pre-President's Day Weekend, so nice and quite. The resort is sprawled out over several acres, each room is half a small cabin, the cabins are arranged in clusters with woodsy names. If your idea of a perfect resort is Four Seasons style with every amenity and luxury, stop and read a different review. This place is all about getting closer to your surroundings, while still having every comfort. If you need a TV for comfort, stop and read a different review. We opted for the B & B plan, the food was incredible. Fresh, healthy, local and delicious. Ordered pizza from the wine bar in the evening to take to our room, wonderful and filling. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do year round, plus a library, game room, pool, Grotto Bar and walking trails. They are very dog friendly, a plus for us. Be prepared for icy conditions during the winter, they do their best with sand but the dimly lit trail walkways get very slick.

Room Tip: We liked the Forest cluster. Right near the library, pool, Grotto Bar and away from the Front Desk...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple