“Worst experience ever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Langley
Eagles Nest Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 16 Langley B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Worst experience ever”
Reviewed December 20, 2007

My husband and I visited the Eagles Nest 7/24 and 7/25 - 2005.
We have stayed in many B & B's over the past 15 years and for the most part enjoyed our experiences. The Eagles Nest has a beautiful setting and the home is very nice. Not as clean as i would have liked it. Our room had a film of dust on the tables and wooden furniture which i consider to be unacceptable for the price we were paying. Additionally, there was a hot tube that we would like to have taken advantage of except there was a ring of grease around it which indicated to me that it had not been cleaned for sometime.
The most annoying aspect was , in a word, Jerry. The moment he answered the door he looked annoyed. we did not feel welcome from that moment. He immediately showed us to our room and demanded our credit card for the second nights stay. My husband handed it to him and he went on his way.
The following evening I, very accidentally drove over one of his driveway lights, which were noting more than a wooden stick with a bulb hung on it. I immediately reported it to Jerry and offered to pay for the repair of the light. At the same time I apologized and asked if we could have a bucket of ice. He closed the private door in my face without saying a thing. I could hear him getting the ice. He opened the door and threw the ice bucked into my arms and ran to see the damage. I again apologized and he said nothing. The next morning at breakfast I handed Jerry my credit card only to be told that he did not accept credit cards for less than $100.00 in charges. He said the charge was $25.00 and discussed this in front of the other guests and the table. When he came around with coffee i said that I did not care for coffee and he, very rudely told me to then give it to my husband.
Jerry has been placed into an occupation he clearly does not belong. Hospitality is not his game. Joanne was not available most of time except at breakfast. She seem cordial enough then and the breakfast meal was good. There was not buffet and one only got a single portion. I know that my husband left the table hungry both mornings.
Whidbey Island is a very lovely place and there are many more lovely places to stay where you don't have to remove your shoes and be subjected to "Jerry's rudeness".

• Liked — Had a very pleasant seting
  • Disliked — The Innkeepers
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank kayChicagoIllinois
LangleyEaglesNest, Jerry Lechner - Innkeeper's husband at Eagles Nest Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 30, 2008
Well an unflattering and exaggerated point of view Kay but predictable when the intent is to write an unfavorable review.
Hospitality is not a Game ....it is a honest day to day endeavor welcoming over 2400 different folks into your inn/home each year and both my wife Joanne and I strive for excellence each and every day. We are however realistic and realize that in serving the public some will be reasonable, some will be kind and some won't. You will not please everyone all the time, every time and in all situations. You can only try your best.
Our Innkeeping day starts at 5 am and ends at 10 pm sometimes later, and as you might imagine can be filled with as many ups and downs as you have in your own work day.
Sometimes just when your winding down a day a guest will come to the service door, ring the bell and on their way to an ice bucket request announce that they had accidentally run over a drive way light. (Which are custom made outdoor lights but herein trivially described as lights on a stick by the guest!) Unknown to the the guest ... and depending on the amount of damage ti the light the exposed electrical could cause a short to the driveway lighting system .. and lighting is needed for guests to navigate the drive after dark. I don't expect a guest to realize but this kind of event with night falling could mean quite a repair job on my hands and before dark. I can fully believe that I investigated immediately as the situation would call for it from a safety standpoint. . I can beleive I closed the service door to prepare the ice bucket in the kitchen and then came to the service door to deliver it and that further as you went to your room I proceeded to the front door to check on the lighting. I can further beleive that I tried not to show any adverse reaction to make things worse... but rather take care of the situation that had presented itself.

By your review " you indicated you brought your credit card to breakfast" I did not initiate to discuss the situation in front of other guests and I'm sure that it was not concluded in front of other guests either but rather after breakfast when more appropriate as I am basically of a quiet nature...and do not like calling attention to myself or others. Plus we are actively involed with serving breakfast to 8 guests at the same table.

The Spa is cleaned daily daily each day after check-out. A heavy volume of use can sometimes leave cleaning surprises for other guests to see and not just the Innkeeper's doing routine maintenance. Sorry you encountered it first it can sometimes happen.

It is true we do not serve buffet style breakfast and we do not advertise we do so. If this is a requirement for your husband you should inquire and book accordingly.

We do serve a healthy portioned, pleasingly plated Northwest breaKfast, which most people tell us they are so well fed they can skip lunch. Joanne is also complimented on being quite the gourmet cook. She is working on a cookbook ...soon to be completed.

Alas, KayChicago, I realize in your mind this whole review boils down to the fact that I didn't handle the adversity of the situation with enough grace and my ineptness of the situation has lead you to your perception of me. For that I am sorry ... I will work on that should it be needed in the future.

In the meantime ...Happy New Year 2008 and enjoyable future travels. Jerry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Vancouver, USA
Reviewed July 13, 2007

My wife and I have been coming to the 'nest' for 15 years and really enjoy our getaways. The innkeepers Jerry and Joanne are most accommodating and very friendly. They go out of their way to guide you along on your stay on this beautiful Island paradise and be sure you have a great escape. The rooms are very nice and each with their own theme. The grounds are kept very neatly and local wildlife abounds. The breakfasts are gourmet with a flair, wholesome and palatable. Very surprised by the May 21, 2007 review by the picky packer. Have never experienced any of those negative comments and have had very positive feedback by friends and family that we have referred to the Eagles Nest over the years.

• Liked — Innkeepers
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Spanaway, Washington
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My husband and I felt spoiled walking into this Bed and Breakfast. Jerry and Joanne were amazing hosts and went out of their way to make sure our stay was unforgettable. The house is so beautiful and very clean. It is surrounded by trees and trails so you can just relax and enjoy nature. Especially when you wake up in the morning for breakfast and their is a baby fawn relaxing in the garden. The rooms set their own character which made it feel more like home. And who could forget the chocolate chip cookies!!! Their breakfast is 5 star and healthy for you (which you don't get at most places). Thank You Jerry and Joanne for making our stay memorable!

Richie and Crystal Shaffer
Spanaway, WA

• Liked — That we felt so welcome and at home. It's way different than staying in a hotel.
  • Disliked — We loved everything.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shaffers18
Seattle, WA
Reviewed May 20, 2007

We stayed 2 nights at the Eagles Nest Inn in May 2007. When we arrived Jerry answered the door. He did not seem happy to see us. He took my husband's credit card to charge our balance (we'd already paid the first night over the phone when reserving). He went over the "house rules" (take off shoes, common areas close at 10pm, keep front door locked, etc) and handed us our keys and pointed us back outside, telling us our room was down the hill around the corner, under the house. I was surprised that he didn't show us to our room. But the door closed, he was done with us, and we were on our own.

The "garden suite" looked pretty, but there was a strong mildew / mold odor that took away from the charm. There was staining on the wall behind the toilet that indicated flooding at one time, and the carpet smelled like it had been soaked and never dried properly. Behind the wall of this room was the garage and a crawlspace. We opened the window for some fresh air, but the house's HVAC unit was right outside and it's fan was quite loud as it cycled off and on. Being in the basement you could hear footsteps and conversation overhead, as well as kitchen noise in the morning.

The bed was comfortable, there was a twin size sleigh bed if you had a 3rd person along, and there was a sitting area with two comfy chairs and a TV. It would have been a nice room if it weren't for the mustiness and darkness inherent to a basement location.

The bathroom was small and contained a tiny shower with a low head. The sink didn't drain well and there was a warning that the toilet depended on a pump and to call the proprietor if the pump failed to come on after each flush. So every time I used the toilet I waited around listening to verify that it completed it's flush.

Breakfast was served at 9am. You waited in the living room for the kitchen door to be opened, signaling you were welcome to the table. If you woke early there was nothing available until 9, nothing to tide you over. Joanne was very friendly and talkative and clearly enjoyed cooking and sharing about what to see on the Island. During breakfast she handed out maps on which she wrote the tide times and highlighted places to see.

The breakfasts were made from scratch and featured fresh fruit . Joanne was careful to ask about allergies and dietary preferences and adjusted her cooking accordingly, but basically everyone was served the same meal in the same portion -- no second helpings or buffet or family style dining as in many B&B's we've visited previously. Once breakfast was over the door to the kitchen closed and you were on your own again.

The outdoor hot tub was a disappointment in that it was barely lukewarm. Had it been hot it would have been a nice place to end the day. Instead we decided to escape our musty basement "suite" and relax quietly in the common area upstairs. At 10pm sharp Jerry emerged from the door marked "private" and began turning off the lights. That was our signal that it was time to return to our room. We felt a little like children being banished to bed.

We had a gift certificate which Jerry reluctantly accepted. I mentioned when I made the reservation that I had a gift certificate to use and wanted to confirm that it would be valid for our stay. He charged us for the first night over the phone when making the reservations, and said I could apply the gift certificate to the second night. Within minutes of our arrival he hit my husband up for his credit card to charge us the balance. We weren't expecting to pay up on arrival and my husband handed his Visa over as demanded. Usually you pay your balance on check out, so we were quite taken by surprise. Anyhow, our credit card was charged the full balance, and when I presented our gift certificate I got grumbling from Jerry about transaction fees and he even said "I wish you would have given me this before" as if I should feel guilty for all the trouble I was causing him. I had told him about the gift certificate when I made the reservation and paid the first night's stay, so he knew it was coming.

I think the Eagles Nest Inn could be a nice place to stay if you were in an upstairs room (there are 3 up, and the 1 in the basement) and didn't want to use the "hot" tub or stay up later than 10pm. Do not stay in the basement "Garden Suite," especially if you have asthma or allergies to mold and mildew. Joanne was a pleasant hostess during the hour we saw her at breakfast. Sadly I think Jerry has had enough after 15 years and is not enjoying having houseguests, even ones that pay a couple hundred dollars to visit.

• Liked — Lovely forest setting, Delicious breakfast, Hostess has great info on area
  • Disliked — Host not so friendly, hot tub not maintained, strong mildew smell in room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank PickyPacker
walla walla, wa
Reviewed May 6, 2007

The Eagles Nest Inn is our favorite b&b. We've stayed there every time we come to Whidbey Island and have always chosen the Garden Suite which is located at the lower level of the Inn and is among the best wildlife viewing spots we can imagine. We can sit on the swing outside our door and watch the birds and chipmunks (and the occasional deer who stands on his back legs to eat out of the bird feeder). The surrounding is a deep, lush forest. The grounds are maintained to perfection. And the room: huge, beautiful, and everything you could want! I've seen the other rooms, too, and all are beautiful with stunning views. The breakfast is delicious and plentiful - Joanne makes a fabulous pear puff pancake among other dishes. Joanne and Jerry are a wealth of information about Island life and two of the most gracious, kind people you could meet. The operation seems to work seamlessly making for an incredibly restful, peaceful and beautiful stay.

Stayed May 2007
3 Thank miniontheroad
Michigan
Reviewed May 2, 2007

My wife and I had the privilege to call the Eagle Nest Inn our home for four days, what an awesome experience. The Inn Keepers Jerry and Joanne Lechner are the best. Joanne is a killer cook, the grommet breakfasts that she provided were better than you will find in a five star restaurant. Both Jerry and Joanne are very involved with the community, which enables them to inform their visitors of the options available on the island. Make sure you check out the local restaurants during your stay as well.

This B&B will be at the top of our list during our return trips to Washington State.

Regards,
Ron & Karen

Stayed April 2007
Missoula, MT
Reviewed August 16, 2006

My wife and I spent the first 2 nights of our honeymoon at the Eagle's Nest and we loved it so much that we went back every year for the next 4 years.

Everything about the Nest is wonderful. The food is gourmet and always delicious. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The inn keepers are very friendly and well informed about the island.

The inn is in the perfect location, close enough to town that you don't have to drive forever to get there, yet it feels very secluded.

There is nothing negative I can say about the Eagle's Nest. I will be going back many more times for sure.

It does have more of an adult feel and breakfasts are gourmet, so you may want to leave the kids with grandma. :)

• Liked — The total atmosphere and the breakfast, oh yeah Jerry and Joanne!
  • Disliked — It's so far from my house I can't stay more often.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early, they fill up fast, and try for the Eagle's Nest room, though they are all great.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Seitzs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley
Captain Whidbey Inn
Country Cottage of Langley
Harbor Inn
Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Freeland

Been to Eagles Nest Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!