“Not so good”

The Braeburn
Ranked #5 of 31 Restaurants in Langley
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Braeburn Restaurant is located in the heart of Langley by the Sea on the south end of Whidbey Island, Washington. At The Braeburn, we specialize in great Pacific Northwest breakfasts and lunches made fresh with only the best ingredients. We use fresh & local organic produce whenever available.
Seattle
“Not so good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

The service here was excellent. However, the food was sorely lacking. I had a grilled chicken sandwich and substituted salad for the fries. The salad was fine, the greens being mostly fresh. However the chicken was a bit overcooked. The reason for the poor review is that there was something on the sandwich that smelled 'moldy'. I did not take the time to try to figure it out, but could not and would not eat the thing. When I asked if they would reduce my bill, they reduced the cost of my lunch by 50%. So I paid for something that was not edible. Hmmm. My partner had cinnamon french toast. She liked it well enough. It was a pretty small plate with nothing extra special about it. Looked like something you would get at a chain restaurant.

• Visited January 2014
BraeburnOwner, Owner at The Braeburn, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
First, I'm glad you enjoyed the service on your visit here this weekend. We strive to train people who are warm, helpful and efficient, and I'm happy to hear your server upheld that standard.

My apologies that your meal was not to your liking. I looked over the reports for the weekend and we sold 18 of our grilled chicken sandwiches, and saw that none of the others were discounted in any way, indicating no one else seemed to be unhappy with that particular meal. We are very careful about food safety here, and go through product quickly enough that we do not have 'moldy' ingredients in our kitchen. If anything is event the least bit "questionable" we throw it out. Period. Everything is dated and labeled so we know exactly how fresh it is, and we keep nothing prepped in advance more than a day or two.

That said, I'm not sure where the 'moldy' smell would have come from, but my only guess is that perhaps the aged Provolone cheese or artichokes would be the strongest smelling ingredient on the sandwich that may be off-putting for some people... Our policy is to replace anything the patron doesn't find to their liking, regardless the reason, so I certainly hope that your server offered to do so for you. We are happy to swap a dish out for something else without charging for both to do everything we can to make sure people are leaving happy, and full.

Regarding the discount, our lunches are not "a la' carte", meaning each one comes with a side of some sort. We don't serve fries (perhaps you're referring to our breakfast potatoes??) and the mixed greens salad is an additional cost, as listed on the menu (+2.50). The total for your sandwich, with the upgrade to a salad, would have been $13.45. They gave you a 50% discount of $7.47, bringing the cost to $5.98 for your meal. That is less expensive than ordering a small mixed green salad on it's own ($6.95) so you actually paid nothing for the sandwich, and less for your salad than the regular menu pricing. I hope with this breakdown, you'll be satisfied that the server compensated you accordingly for what you ate.

Again, my apologies that you did not enjoy your food, but I hope you can at least feel now that we were not charging you for something that in your opinion "was not edible". I will address the issue of the dry chicken with the kitchen so we can make sure it is not being overcooked, and we'll hope to avoid a problem next time.

I do thank you for taking the time to review us and for your feedback. They only way to improve is through the feedback from the people dining with us, and I believe that every business is a work in progress and should be constantly improving and moving forward. If no one lets us know directly if there is a problem, we have no way of fixing it!

Be well, and thank you for giving us a try.

bellingham
“friendly breakfast spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

the cowboy burrito was spectacular especially accompanied by a giant mimosa. All the food here is of excellent quality.

Visited January 2014
Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanksgiving Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I loved the food and atmosphere was very homey. I met my family and we all enjoyed eating there very much. It is the second time we shared Thanksgiving Dinner.

Visited November 2013
Whitefish, Montana
“Great breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Nice cozy spot. My wife enjoyed the granola with yogurt and blueberries. Big bowl with yogurt on top and in the bottom of the bowl. Included some very good whole wheat toast with spicy apple butter on the table. Better than packaged jam by a mile. I had the frenchy, scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese in a croissant. Really yummy and the breakfast spuds were marvelous Nicely browned with onions and herbs. No wonder the innkeeper called it one of the best breakfasts in Langley

Visited December 2013
Seattle
“A wonderful morning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I ranked this restaurant so high because it was exactly what we were looking for and they delivered perfectly. Langley is a really little town on a laid-back island in Washington state. The restaurant is small, cozy, warm and quaint. The staff were really friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. The service was fast, the portions were generous, the food was great, the prices were reasonable. At our table of five, we all had to take a box - we couldn't eat it all. The omelets, scrambles and biscuits & gravy (really good sausage) were excellent. The mimosas started things right :-)

• Visited November 2013
BraeburnOwner, Owner at The Braeburn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you so much for the awesome review, and for coming in! It's always great to hear when a party was really happy with the food and service, and our restaurant as a whole. We love our little town and our Island, hope you had a great time exploring all the other fun things Whidbey has to offer! We'll hope to catch you next time again. Cheers!