“Expect Greatness”

Ranked #5 of 35 Restaurants in Langley
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Braeburn Restaurant is located in the heart of Langley by the Sea on the south end of Whidbey Island, Washington. At The Braeburn, we specialize in great Pacific Northwest breakfasts and lunches made fresh with only the best ingredients. We use fresh & local organic produce whenever available.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

As we were planning a trip to Seattle to visit family six months prior to the trip, I kept hearing glorious stories about the grilled cheese on raisin bread that this "awesome restaurant" on Whidbey Island made.

Making my second trip out to Seattle and never having heard of Whidbey Island, I knew my family would know the best place to go for a great sandwich. And man...what a HOME RUN it was going here.

4 Adults and 2 children age 3 visited The Braeburn and all walked away satisified. From the unique atmosphere of the wall decorations and outhouse key hanging on the wall, to the warmness of those who greeted and served us our meal, I could see why we had a long wait on an early Sunday afternoon to get in there.

The twin boys (age 3) enjoyed Fluffernutters (peanut butter and marshmallow fluff) or grilled toasted wheat bread which all of the adults loved as we cleaned up their scraps. I enjoyed the pot roast sandwich with caramelized onions on a homemade roll and washed it down with a hearty bowl of vegetable soup. My fiancee enjoyed the grilled cheese on raisin bread (complete with smoked bacon strips) and it truly was one of the sandwiches I've ever tasted.

The menu is diverse and the ingredients were extremely fresh. PLUS the cost was very reasonable and I'd say to expect Greatness from a place that is very unassuming from the outside. A definite place to visit on your trip to Whidbey island

BraeburnOwner, Owner at The Braeburn, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Thank you, thank you!!! LOVE that there's a buzz about our 3-digit grilled cheese (which I have to agree, is totally divine). I can't tell you how amazing it is to hear how pleased your whole group was with everything- we'll strive to continue to meet this standard! We really appreciate you taking the time to write us up, and for coming in.

Hope to catch you next time!!!

There are newer reviews for The Braeburn

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Each February we visit Langley for the Mystery Weekend and eat a meal at the Braeburn restaurant. Even though the restaurant is always crowded on a Mystery Weekend, service is friendly and quick. The menu choices are extensive and flavorful. It is hard to decide what to choose; rootbeer BBQ pulled pork sandwich, or mac and Cheese flavor of the day, or their house spinach and apple salad. We have never disappointed! It would be fun to work our way through their breakfast and lunch menu!

My apologies for the very belated response, but thank you for the great review from Mystery Weekend! It's always so great to see the faces of folks who have traveled to our little town for such a great event every year, and who pop in for a meal when they're here. Mystery weekend is always so much fun. Glad you enjoy our breakfast and lunch, and I think it's a GREAT idea to work your way through the menu :) I always joke I have the best job (quality control) which allows me an ample sampling of our menu all the time. See you next year!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Once again the Braeburn in Langley has surpassed my expectations. The flavors of the Saratoga Omelette with sliced avocado, sauteed mushrooms, red onions, diced tomatoes, spinach and Montrachet goat cheese was YUMMY! Many of us have breakast for lunch or dinner but my side kick this weekend chose to have lunch for breakfast and totally enjoyed his pot roast sandwhich.
Only thing that could use a little improving is the beginning beverage service, which seems a bit slow.

Thank you so much for another wonderful review (and my apologies for not responding sooner)!! I am so glad we added that Saratoga to the menu- it was on the specials board for quite a while and started selling more than any of our other breakfast items, so we figured we'd make it 'official'! It's actually named after Saratoga road, where one of our amazing regulars who came up with the combination lives! We love her (and the omelette). Thanks again, and we'll hope to see you next time!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Had a fabulous breakfast with my daughter at Braeburn yesterday (Saturday morning). I had the Popeye Omelette which was done perfectly. (No grit in the spinach, as sometimes happens!) There was just the right amount of spinach too; the bacon was crisp and just the perfect balance, and the sauteed sliced mushrooms were a delicious addition. I had Sourdough toast, toasted just right with melted butter. There was homemade jam on the table to put on the toast. It was delicious as well. Earl Grey hot tea w/honey. Beautiful hand blown water glasses w/refreshing water. Our waiter always checking on our needs when he went past, yet not interrupting. My daughter loved her Hash Mash, along with a flaky warm huge homemade biscuit which she also put delicious homemade jam on. Her coffee was a favorable cup that was kept full. Our fresh Fruit Cup was cut up fresh and appetizing with a nice assortment of cantelope, honey due melon, sweet pineapple chunks, fresh plump blueberries, & red seedless grapes. The place was homey, very clean, with delightful breakfast smells, wafting in the air, when we walked in, around 10AM. We were seated right away with the only table left. Our food came at just the right time, and it was hot. We had a wonderful breakfast and we are going back soon, as there are great menu items listed we can't wait to try, like Cowboy Burrito, Frenchie, and delicious-looking pancakes and the apple French toast! I can only imagine! Thank you for a very enjoyable breakfast with the perfect ambiance.

BraeburnOwner, Owner at The Braeburn, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Many thanks for such a wonderfully positive review. It really means a lot to us when people take the time to do this. So glad you and your daughter enjoyed your experience, and we'll hope to see you back again soon! Thanks again!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I eat at the Braeburn a couple times a month and was looking forward to my favorite -The Cowboy burrito. For some reason I decided I wanted a nice juicy burger instead. I ordered the Three Sisters Beef hamburger. It came in a timely manner along with the breakfast potatoes on the side. I was so disappointed, I asked the server if the meat had been steamed instead of fresh cooked on the grill and was told it was cooked on the grill, for some reason it just didn't seem right. The texture was off and it tasted kind of meat loaf like the the texture was too dense. The breakfast potatoes were dark brown and mushy. Not a good meal for me. I'll stick with my Cowboy Burrito and fresh fruit next time.
I do buy Three Sisters Beef so I know the grass fed has a taste I love.
If the chairs at the windows in the front are open it is a very nice place to sit and watch the slow days of Langley pass by.

BraeburnOwner, Owner at The Braeburn, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

First off, thank you for your feedback, and glad that our Cowboy is a favorite!! Definitely hits the spot for me too. I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your burger- we do use 3 sisters beef, it's the only ground beef we have in house, and grill them on the flattop. We love 3 sisters and certainly want to represent their product in a positive light, so my apologies for falling short there! I brainstormed with our chef about both the burgers and the potatoes, and have already made a couple of changes as a result; using a cast iron griddle for the burgers and I think you'll find the change to the potatoes will keep them crispier and tastier from now on! Hope to see you again, and we'll do our best to make sure you leave full, and happy, with whatever meal you choose to order!