“Kharma Kickback”

and 1 more site!
Saratoga Inn
Ranked #1 of 16 Langley B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Imagine... the height of the tourist season, first week in August, Whidbey Island. Now imagine finding ANY lodging without booking in advance not to mention a Bed and Breakfast. You say, "Impossible"! "Never happen", "In your dreams". Well I am living proof that one should NEVER say never. After weeks of attempting to reserve a place to stay in or around Langley including campgrounds I had finally given up. Not on coming to Langley, just finding any place to stay. My husband and I were coming over to place my deceased Mothers headstone at her grave and because we were pouring a concrete border around the site it had to be done before the weather turned. We decided to wing it and headed out from our home in Tacoma. I figured we would either sleep in our truck or go home and come back the following day. After spending hours at the Bayview Cemetery in the hot sun we were exhausted, hungry and loathe to a 3-4 hr drive back to Tacoma. Yet the idea of sleeping in the cab of my husbands work truck was equally distressing. So, on a whim I began calling the numbers listed in a flier we picked up at the tourist center for Lodging on Whidbey Island. After being told again and again "rooms have been booked MONTHS in advance" (and one lady even laughed when I inquired about a room) I was about ready to pull up a Ford head rest but first I decided to call this one other place. . Jim at the Saratoga Inn answered the phone on the second ring. I made my little speech but with much less vigor than before as I was sure my request was in vain. Jim explained that only a few minutes ago he had been informed that one of the rooms tenants had left for the night and had approved for their room to be booked in their absence. This after having turned away several other lodging hopefuls throughout the day. He also said that this was his first time running the desk alone and would need to check on a few things before committing to renting us the room. Oh, and because we missed Tea that IF we could have the room it would be at a discounted price. He would have to call me back. The first thing I said to my husband was "wow! what a nice man. I hope he doesn't get into any trouble with his boss over this". Jim called me back within minutes and said the most beautiful words in my ear, "we can accommodate you here at the Saratoga this evening". "when can I expect you"? It would be at least another 45 minutes to clean up at the cemetery and because the office was closed and Jim would be heading home I paid with a credit card and he said our key would be at the front desk. Great! I really liked this guy Jim. An hour and a half later we were on our way but I was having trouble with directions to the Inn and it was dark so I again called the Inn hoping for at least an automated directory. "Saratoga Inn" came Jim's by now familiar voice. He had waited for us even though we were way past our 45 minute arrival estimation. He gave us directions and 10 minutes later we pull up in our loud, huge, annoying diesel truck and Jim comes off the back porch and greets us warmly, suggests an appropriate parking spot for our vehicle instead of wedged alarmingly sideways between two showroom Harley Davidson's and a black Volvo or was it a BMW? Anyway, we are given the privileged use of the handicapped space and brought into the Inn, offered a glass of wine, coffee, cookies, what have you and a tour of the Inn which I might add is very beautiful. Everything about it is inviting. it's a mixture of comfortable elegance and old world charm. I know you are probably thinking I would give a barn 5 stars at this point but I assure you that this is a fair and accurate review based on my opinion of the Saratoga Inn. The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. The Inn was full and you couldn't hear a T.V. or voices or doors opening, nothing. It was only after Jim showed us the ropes and was satisfied that our every need was met that he prepared to leave which he should of done hours ago. But not before I could ask him the History of the Beautiful Saratoga Inn. Oh well, that's an easy one for Jim, not only had he designed it, he owned it as well. In the morning after a sound, blissful sleep in our beautiful room we were treated to a delightful breakfast and were introduced to Jim's lovely wife and daughter and we were able to spend some more time chatting with Jim as he escorted us to our truck and saw us off. Both my husband and I feel that we not only had we been extremely blessed with a great place to stay against all odds but we also had the good fortune of meeting a rare and genuine person who truly does go above and beyond for the hapless souls of the world such as ourselves. It touches our hearts deeply, Thank you Jim and family at the Saratoga Inn we will be seeing you again. Angel and Jerry

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank angelbrotherston

Reviewed August 4, 2008

The Saratoga Inn is the best Bed and Breakfast Experience we have ever had! My wife and I and 20 other relatives from around the country congregated there for 3 nights, and every one of us agree the accomodations, the service, the atmosphere, are absolutely fantastic. Wonderful breakfasts, fresh homemade cookies coming out of the kithchen every few hours throughout the day; tea, wine, and appetizers in the afternoon, all served by the warm, wonderful, attentive staff.

The living room is a wonderful gathering place with great views across Puget Sound to the Cascade Mountains. Or recline in the rocking chairs on the front and side porches.

The rooms are lovely and comfortable. Nine (or so) of the fifteen rooms have the same great view of the Cascades you have from the living room, only from a higher vantage point.

Jim and Jenny, the owners, and their daughter Casey take an active role in opperating The Inn, and seeing to it that each guest is having the best experience possible.

The Inn is a two block stroll from the center of Langley, a quaint little town, with a dozen independent restaurants and coffee shops, most with outside seating and views of Puget Sound.

Want pretentiousness? Go somewhere else. Want relaxed, welcoming hospitality? Go to the Saratoga Inn. We can't wait to go back!

Bruce and Vicki

1  Thank watsonbw
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We just returned from a 4 day stay at the Saratoga Inn. It is a lovely, comfortable place. The inndeepers were so friendly and devoted to making sure we had everything that we needed. The Inn is right acroos the street from the ocean. It has a wonderful, long porch with rocking chairs to sit and watch the beauty of the area. Our room was the least expensive, A cozy Queen room.
It had a fireplace and a little outside area to sit and have coffee in the morning or wine, tea and snacks in the afternoon. The breakfasts were very good. Everyday there was a different entree
served. It was one of the nicest Inns that we have stayed at.

1  Thank cupcakeNapa_CA
Reviewed August 2, 2008

What a wonderful place - this is our second time staying there, and both times were great experiences for us. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and invitingly decorated, the breakfast is fabulous, and the staff are friendly and attentive! The Inn is walking distance from everything in Langley; we never needed to get in the car.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aeiSeattle
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Truly a great little boutique hotel. Room was very nice, and the staff could not have been more pleasant. Free(though limited) dvd's from library, Complimentary gourmet breakfast, and afternoon "tea". Town was small, quite, and pleasant. Lots of shops for the ladies, but honestly nothing to do for the guys except wait for sundown. The views from the upper rooms facing the harbor were nice so obtain an upper if you can. Good place for a romantic weekend or a second honeymoon. forty-five min. from downtown Seattle. Little bistro in town had great food. No complaints.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank broomestick1
Reviewed July 25, 2008

This is a great inn. The breakfast is superb, the rooms are immaculate and the location can't be beat. The only thing is that if you book the carriage house for $280/nt expect to pay an extra $25 per day per extra person even though it says sleeps 4 on the web site. Seems a little penny wise pound foolish. It's a little unclear if that's for just having a kid with you or for their breakfast as well.

Reviewed July 24, 2008

I wanted to take my husband away for his 65th birthday and let him have a weekend with nothing but peace, quiet and relaxation. We so enjoyed the lovely atmosphere of the Saratoga Inn, the cleanliness of the room, the hospitality of the staff and knowing our needs were important to them. The complimentary wine and appetizers Fri. evening and the breakfast Sat. morning were pleasant surprises - everything was delicious and fresh.
We will definitely return for another get away weekend and visit this quality Inn as well as enjoying the view, the town and unique shops. The Saratoga Inn is on our list of favorites.
July 18, 2008

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Retired055
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley
Best Western Plus Oak Harbor Hotel and Conference Center
Inn at Langley
#2 of 16 in Langley
Country Cottage of Langley
Blue Goose Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Saratoga Inn? Share your experiences!