“Comfortable and Relaxing”

Ranked #2 of 16 Langley B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Comfortable and Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent two relaxing nights at the Inn at Langley in July. We had room 10, a corner unit on the first floor. The view was beautiful and the best thing about the first floor is you're closest to the water to hear the waves. You do have to walk down two flights of stairs to get to the room so if you're not in the best shape this could be an issue.

Our room was comfortable although the bed is a queen and we would have preferred a king. We had a nice balcony where we drank coffee each morning (note to the management - an arm on one of the chairs is hanging off and could be a safety hazard). The room was a bit dark and I'm assuming this is because we were on the first floor - if we stayed again I would request the top floor. The hallway downstairs was also very dark and not the most pleasant thing to walk into. In our room the back wall was exposed cement with a rather creepy garment hanging on it - this was the one thing about our room we did not find visually pleasing. There was a nice variety of complimentary snacks to enjoy and wine and beer for purchase in the mini fridge. The bathroom was nice and clean with Aveda hair and body products. The shower pressure did leave a lot to be desired. There was a big jet tub but we did not use it. Being on the first floor we did hear a little movement upstairs but it was not bad. We could hear when they flushed the toilet.

Our room was dog-friendly and we brought our dog which cost us a $50 deposit (pretty standard). They had a dog bed set out for him and bowls for his food and water.

The breakfast was wonderful and the ingredients were so fresh each morning. We really enjoyed the chef who prepared the food - he was friendly but not overbearing. We had a different kind of quiche each morning along with yogurt, homemade granola, and fresh berries. I do wish they would put the boiled eggs and yogurt on ice instead of just set out in a bowl.

We also really enjoyed the front desk clerk, she was very helpful and recommended a great little dog park for us. One tip - they need to get newer DVD's for the collection in the office, most of them are very old. They gave us free movie tickets for the theater across the street that was playing a new movie that just came out.

Location can't be beat as you are just steps away from the shops and restaurants as well as a nice path along the waterfront and if the tide is out you can walk right out to the beach. For dinner I would recommend Prima Bistro on 1st street and the pizza place too - so good!

All the little details made this trip one to remember. We would definitely recommend this place to friends, although maybe in the off season when the rates aren't quite as expensive.

Room Tip: I would choose a higher floor for more natural light in the room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Inn At Langley is not only visually stunning, including the rooms and landscaping, but not at all stuffy. The staff was friendly and efficient, but never intrusive. Definitely give the spa and restaurant a try as well. They also did not nickel and dime us for non-alcoholic drinks and snacks.

As far as the decor, it was rather minimal but the furnishings were tasteful "California craftsman" style. We prefer this to the "Sheraton" look any day. The grounds were more natural looking vs. over manicured. The restaurant garden was incredible and sources some of the restaurant herbs and vegetables.

Room Tip: The cottages are spacious but did not have a patio like the regular rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We spent a night at the Inn at Langley as part of our 35th anniversary trip. We loved absolutely everything about this place. We had a corner suite room; when we walked in, we were astounded at how lovely it was! The view from the balcony overlooking the water was amazing, and the town of Langley was so charming. We enjoyed meeting the owners at the delicious breakfast the next morning; it was clear that they loved this place as much as we did. We look forward to returning for another romantic retreat in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Inn at Langley is one of those places that my heart will not forget. My husband and I wanted to get-a-away for our belated 25th anniversary to some place understated and beautiful. We wanted a place where we could arrive as we live, in jeans and t-shirts. We wanted a place with deep quiet and a reverence for simplicity. We found it all at the Inn at Langley. We began on Friday night with their prix fixe dinner. Each course was a study of fantastic food presented without a lot of fuss in surprising combinations. I the pesca-vegetarian was respectfully accommodated while my husband ate everything as served up to him. The waitstaff was knowledgeable and unobtrusive.

Back in our room, I found the double bathtub with window opening to the lapping tide, a super-charged delight. How often can you bath in freshwater and smell saltwater. Am already planning our return visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I can't believe we spent almost $700 for two nights in this place. We had a corner room that was spartan in furnishings (not even a desk/chair to write at!) with drab white walls and cheap millwork. Seriously, I've been in Sheraton's that were better appointed. The two chairs in the room were not comfortable. The outdoor furniture on the patio was weather beaten. No wood was supplied for the fire place - they give you one of those processed roll of something in paper and you can buy more if you want. I guess if you aren't from the Northwest the whole island view thing is what you are paying for, but if you live around here it's not anything special. I've stayed in other high end places in the Pugest Sound/Gulf Islands with rooms that are far more pampering and in settings with real natural beauty. I don't understand why this place has such a great reputation. The Inn is situated in the middle of the block in a town. Looking out the window in our bathroom into the neighbor's back yard did not create the sense of romantic isolation we were expecting. The dinner was interesting - not great - but the chef is clearly working at being an artist as well as a cook. We won't be back

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Bushey_55
InnkeeperLangley, Manager at Inn at Langley, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
We spend so much time discussing value. We really do want everyone to feel there is value. I'm not sure how we could have helped this person. We tried contacting them with no reply. It appears they wanted to be unhappy. We encourage everyone to speak up about there stay, so we can make sure they enjoyed the time here; feel value in it. I am not sure if this person just didn't know what we are about or if they just didn't want to like things. That happens sometimes. We try to keep a genuine feel. We have a patina on the building and grounds that we cultivate. Mini bar, breakfast, local theater and yoga classes are all free to guests. We hope these folks do find more plush environments to stay in. We could have certainly helped them find this in Langley.
Issaquah, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

For a 2-night stay we enjoyed so many aspects, from the spacious room with balcony and view, the convenience to the town is exceptional. Though we didn't make a reservation in time for the dinner (tip: make the reservation before you arrive), we felt the breakfast service was amazing, and more than made up for it.

Service throughout was very professional and friendly. Room prices perhaps a little on the high end, but entirely offset with complimentary services - such as wifi, DVD movie lending, in-town movie theatre, in-room snacks, newspapers... Rare indeed. The room was prepared immaculately.

That the owners came around to visit and welcome residents at breakfast is a special touch, and one that we've experienced very rarely indeed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank XBOOXBOO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was attending a high energy meeting in Seattle and my wife had accompanied me. We decided to take off for 3 days more and come to Whidbey Island. Great move. We stayed at the Inn at Langley, and from the moment we arrived, we felt like we were transported to the most refreshing place possible. The setting is exquisite - directly on the Saratoga Passage. Every room has a waterfront balcony veranda, and for the first day I just soaked in the peacefulness of the water flowing by. The rooms are beautifully laid out, with superb form and function. Each room with fireplace, refrigerator, free wifi (of course), and a television for the Philistines among us ( I confess, I had to see the last 2 quarters of game2 of the Heat - Pacer playoff series). Breakfast is unbelievably delicious. Quiche, scones, fruit etc etc - everything is thoughtfully constructed for a fabulous experience. I don't get the reviewer who found the accommodations problematic. This is the first time I've had 3 consecutive full nights of restful sleep in more years than I can count! I've heard that the spa is excellent, but I'm not a spa sort of person. My wife and our friend partook of the fantastic special dinner ( it was a taste and visual extravaganza), while my buddy and I did the basketball and dinner routine at Prima Bistro -also not too shabby. Don't miss the cabaret style performances of some superb world class local musicians and vocalists - I only caught the tail end of one, but it was impressive. Overall, we could not have had a better time. Enjoy!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rettenger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langley
Captain Whidbey Inn
Harbor Inn
Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Freeland
Blue Goose Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Inn at Langley? Share your experiences!