“Delicious food, great service !”
Review of Cham Korean BBQ

Cham Korean BBQ
Ranked #8 of 157 Restaurants in Lakewood
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family of 4 ate dinner there for the first time after reading about it online. Small place, pretty outdated decor, fabulous service and delicious!! The owner was more than helpful showing us how everything worked and explaining things to us. Definitely will return!

2  Thank Crazymotherof2

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am not Korean. However, if I compare this all- you-can-eat buffet to other Korean BBQ that I have had in the Oly-Tacoma area, I rate this as the best. The choice of meats and vegetables is larger than anywhere else I have eaten (4 other places in the area).
As a vegetarian, I was happy with heating the tofu, which was delicious. You can make a sandwich with the lettuce, radish slice, cooked garlic and peppers, meat or tofu and dip it in sauce and bean paste. It is wonderful. I haven't had this combination anywhere else. The salads and other vegetables are fresh and delicious as well. I appreciated being able to bulk up on these, rather than rice. It is a pleasure to have many choices of tasty vegetables at a Korean restaurant.

This place is tiny, so get there early.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I went to Cham when I had first moved here to JBLM. One of my battles (coworkers) brought me here because she said it was the best. What a joke! I grew up eating Korean bbq and this is not acceptable. I find that a lot of korean places in the area are buffet and that has its on pros and cons. However, Chams is not the place to go. There are a ton of places to go on S. Tacoma Way.. im a BIG fan of Palace Korean Bar and Grill.

So we went around 6 or 7 pm. There are only like 5 tables. Walking in the front door your already right up on the open buffet of meat. (easy way to collect bacteria) You have to have at least two people to eat there. o___O The wait is long. The buffet is small. The banchan is NOT great. The price is around 45 dollars for two people and so NOT worth it. The owners although seemingly nice are kind of overbaring and try to rush you out the place or feed you the cheapest cuts of FROZEN meat. The meat that isnt frozen isnt greatly seasoned. Its just a hard hearted excuse of a korean bbq. Definitely wont step foot in this place again.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We've been here multiple times and have always had an excellent experience. I've never seen such a high review on Yelp for something so close, which is how we found this place to begin with.

Everything here is tasty, they're on top of refilling everything, and they're always super friendly and helpful.They have a 2 person minimum, which sucks, but I'm not going to knock them for it. The apple potato salad is always good and the smoked pork jowel is my favorite. Never thought I'd hear myself say that, but it is amazing. Like, the best bacon ever, times 10. So good. They even change our grill for us when it gets super charred and have never rushed us out. I'll KEEP coming back to this place, over and over again and am always telling people about it. Love it!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

(it wasn't on any of the signs and there's plenty of them!) It was my first and last visit!

I'll just say bluntly to not come here if you end up staying there for over an hour. My friend and I were both banned from this stingy restaurant (stingy owner and his wife, stingy meaning cheap, only caring about money, and selfish) without even knowing what we did wrong.

At first the owner kept bringing us cheap cuts of meat (fatty pork) to try which we never asked for (indication of stinginess). Then we kept getting the frozen beef briskets actually most of the meat was frozen (we didn't even eat the galbi/kalbi which is the most expensive cut of meat offered at the buffet, the pork being the cheapest) and the owner's wife kept mugging us like we were doing something wrong. We were given only four pieces of half cut garlic, the same amount of cut japaleno, and some radish pickles so when it ran out they didn't refill it (another indication of stinginess). Then when we asked for sesame oil they gave us only a little amount (yet another indication of stinginess). Our grill had a lot of char on it so when we needed it to be changed the owner said we don't usually change it if it gets like this but he will do it for us once. When we asked for a refill they took forever to fill it up because they were busy talking about us behind our backs (I ended up getting pink lemonade when I clearly asked for raspberry ice tea). Then they left the bill for us to pay and the owner's wife kept coming just to check our bill for no reason. The owner even came to the table to turn off the grill which was a sign that they thought we had enough food. After that the owner came to our table and told us that customers usually stay for under an hour or around an hour or so then we told him that we will leave when we are done with the meat left on the grill. We were planning to pay when we were done eating. We ended up finishing all of the meat and the side dishes to. I told my friend that I was going to use the restroom before we leave little did I know when I came back out my friend told me that we were no longer welcome at the restaurant. The owner and his wife were nice at first then they showed their true selves to us. The restaurant wasn't even full today and we didn't eat that much either. The owner said to my friend that they want to make a profit and with us eating there they weren't making a profit (even though the meat doesn't cost that much at the store, for $40 my friend and I could have easily bought more than thrice the amount of meat we ate there). The owner kept on coming up with other excuses for banning us that their restaurant was too small and such that made no sense. There were about 10 tables there and only 3 of them were occupied including us the whole time we were there.

I give this so-called all-you-can-eat buffet (should be called all-we-can-afford-to feed-you buffet) negative zero -0 stars it doesn't even deserve a 1 star. This has to be #1 on my list for worst restaurant experience ever! My #2 worst restaurant experience was also at a Korean restaurant where the cashier asked my friends and me for a tip even though we left it at the table and then when we split the bill they ended charging us $5 more for each meal. So it was supposed to be $15 a person but we were charged $20. We didn't complain at all and just left!

I don't think I will go to a Korean restaurant and buffets ever again unless it's in South Korea where there are mostly Korean restaurants! If I'm ever hungry for Korean I will just buy the ingredients at the local supermarket and bring it home to cook on the electric meat pan.

I think they felt as if they can easily kick us out (I think we were the first ones to banned from the restaurant) even though we didn't break any of the rules because we were both fellow Asians (Asian Americans actually). If we were white (white is right) I don't think they would have banned us from the restaurant since they might think we will file a lawsuit against them or something for pushing us over the edge so to speak. But if this were to happen to you I don't think you are obliged to pay for your meal if you get kicked out of a so-called all-you-can-eat buffet. Enough said this is all I have to share with y'all. Stay true (according to the owner in the Korean language Cham stands for "true" which doesn't' suit the restaurant's name unless it's true that all or the majority of Korean restaurants are stingy) and keep the peace.

Been to Cham Korean BBQ? Share your experiences!