“Family diner- fresh cooked and filling”

Carrs Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #6 of 154 Restaurants in Lakewood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This fairly new restaurant shows up on a number of other sites, such as http://local.yahoo.com/info-59696329-carrs-restaurant-lakewood
Tacoma, Washington
“Family diner- fresh cooked and filling”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a family-owned and run cafe, patterned after those in small towns, but in a more suburban setting. The portions are huge with high quality ingredients, and the prices match. It is not a cheap fast-food chain restaurant using fake ingredients. If you want cheap and fast, go somewhere else.

I'm basing my rating on the food and the effort of the owners, plus the fact it is local and responds to community needs. I almost took a star off for the service difficulties on occasion, so if having to ask for a coffee refill once in a while or waiting twenty or thirty minutes after you order for your food when it is busy bothers you, then take that star off when you consider this place.

The omelettes are terrific, my favorite the grilled chicken and avocado. The pancakes are huge, and if you add fillings, like blueberries (yum) or chocolate chips, you get your money's worth. (Be aware the extra cost is for each pancake).

I can't go back to Texas when I want a chicken-fried steak, so this is the best I can do, and I'm grateful for their version. I think the breakfast version gives you more value.

Lately I've been having salads or fruit as my side instead of potatoes. They give enough hash browns for three or four meals, and even with a take-out box for a half omelette and potatoes, I was throwing a lot away. The salds are huge and filling, and the fruit bowl is enormous.

In this time when numerous restaurants are closing, I'm happy to support a local effort to bring quality food with good value. Realize before you go that this is a slow dining experience, not fast food.

• Visited December 2012

Harrisburg, PA
“good food, pricey, horrible service”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

food was good , big portion but overpriced . waitress needed a class on etiquette. after she ended her 10 minute personal conversation with a non-customer , she took our order . another waitress brought out our food in reasonable time . and that was the last time we saw a waitress. no 1 came by to refill our drinks or to ask how are worth it was. I hope this was a 1 time deal with the waitress , but we wouldnt come back, nor recommend this to another person.

San Antonio, Texas
“Good Chicken Fried Steak”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The food at Carr's is good, but not great. Same can be said of the prices and the service.

I'm from Texas, so I know something about homestyle comfort food -- like chicken fried steak and the "fixins."

Tacoma is in bad need of (non-fast-food) restaurants that serve good food at reasonable prices with a nice atmosphere. Carrs could be one of those restaurants.

The restaurant has a cute theme, but seems to charge way too much for their food. Portions are extremely generous, so perhaps cut back a bit on the portions and lower your price a bit.

$40+ for two chicken fried steak dinners and two glasses of wine is a bit steep for people that live on military pay.

Also, it you are going to charge that much for the food, then consider upgrading the decor a bit.

Can't put my finger on it, but there seems to be a disconnect between the food prices, quantity, menu selection and decor.

Carr's needs to decide whether it is an upscale restaurant or family dining and adjust prices, portion sizes, menu selections, service and decor to match.

Am being a bit harsh, although I don't mean to be. Carr's food isn't bad. Actually, outside of Dixie and/or Texas, it serves good chicken fried steak.

Just think Carr's needs to make a few tweaks to turn an average restaurant into a real winner.

• Visited August 2012
Wa. State
“Chicken Fried Steak to die for.”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My BIL took us there for dinner. He recommended the Chicken Fried Steak. We took his advice and fortunately Mrs. Spokaneman and I split the thing. It was about 16 oz of artery clogging heaven. The first genuinely delicious CFS I have had since I left Texas 35 years ago. Throw in a huge helping of garlic mashed red potatoes and it was fit for a king. The service was great and the prices reasonable. What more can you ask for?

• Visited September 2012
Lakewood Pierce County, Washington
“great place”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

home setting alot of food for the money and gooooood if you are hungery this is the place only draw back is some times you have to weight to be served mostly on weekends

Visited June 2012