“Nell Thorn”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Restaurant was fully booked until 8:30 pm the one evening we were in town so sat on the deck with wine and watched the sun setting. Waitress named Holly, on her own initiative, had put a hold on a table in case of cancellation or a no show. At 7 ish as we were discussing amongst ourselves about moving to find a restaurant, she appeared and advised a table could be ready in a few moments.
Food was very good, tasty and decent portions. Service was exceptional. Thank you Holly!

2  Thank Robert B

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Honestly, I love to write great reviews, but I have to be honest. We have been to Nell Thorns 3 times for dinner and the food has been outstanding each time. I had the salmon dinner which was beautifully prepared. Their new location is awesome and we were able to have a table at the window facing the channel on a sunny evening.
I just wish they could improve on their service. We were a party of four with a reservation. The people seated behind us arrived without a reservation and they were finished and left before our entrees arrived. Our door to door time was 2 hours, way too long! The waiter was apologetic, but it was still disappointing.
Also, the chairs are uncomfortable. Cushions would be a big improvement.

1  Thank peggy n
Reviewed April 14, 2014

(First, apologies for using the word "perfect" so much in this review.) My meal was one of the best ever! Others in our large party were perhaps not quite so lucky. I would go back again and again for the same thing. OK, you might ask, well ... what did you eat that you liked so well. For starters fried smelt: cooked and dressed perfectly. Then duck confit, which is actually an appetizer, and endive salad for dinner. Both prepared absoutely perfectly. It was the best duck I have ever had ... served beautifully with little sauces which, surprisingly, actually complemented the duck perfectly. And the endive salad ... not a touch of bitterness; just the right amount of sweet; just the right amount of crunch. Too bad I have to leave La Conner early this morning, otherwise I would have returned for exactly the same meal. And to top it all off ... the view/ambience is wonderful along the Swinomish (sp?) waterway and wonderful fresh tulips decorated the restaurant, in honor of the spectacular tulip festival.

2  Thank AK_Steve_AK
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Nice setting along the canal. We were not in a hurry but service was slow although we arrived well before noon and the restaurant was not crowded. I asked that they omit two items from my sandwich and the waitress said she told the chef--I believe her. Nevertheless one was included on the sandwich. I said I would just have fries. The waitress tried to be helpful and brought me another sandwich. By the time this one was served, my wife had finished her lunch and I had finished my fries and drink. They didn't charge for the sandwich but it was still a ruined lunch.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Nell's food is worth a trip from ANYWHERE! We love the polenta cakes - they are the best we've had any place - off the charts people! I do miss the old "boat pilot house" decor - but the new location is very up-scale, cozy, and beautifully decorated. Plus, they are right on the water now!!! We're looking forward to the better weather to enjoy the new waterside deck too. Love the pub drinks, and the overall "buzz" of this place. Other reviewers mentioned poor service, but we've eaten here almost weekly for several years now, and have always had wonderful service. We are always greeted in a friendly, helpful manner & love the servers too. If you ask for something done in a little different way, they always try to please. When they first opened it was a little hectic, but still, we had wonderful food and a delightful experience. We love how many vegetarian dishes they offer, and the organic ingredients as well. Presentation is lovely too. What is not to rave about? Just GO!!!

Been to Nell Thorn Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!