“The best - no kidding”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2014

There is absolutely no better place than this in the whole valley. Seriously. After some harassment by some very grumpy people near their old and cozy location, they moved a block away. We were all on tenterhooks waiting to see what this would be like. Would it be as warm, as tasty, as friendly, as welcoming? The votes are in. And yes - they exceeded our already high expectations - with an expanded menu in their larger kitchen. Last week we had the gemelli - a toothy pasta made by Casey - with kale, duck confit, and cream - slight amount. (I don't like cream) and the smoked trout salad . Add to that the paleo dessert and oh my - life is good.
Casey and Susan, the owners, are also the kindest, most socially responsible people you could know. Their employees get benefits, for example , and they donate some of the house wine money to the food bank. They also cater gratis to fund raisers for things like the new library and such in town. Very popular for the fundraisers.

Raise a glass to these good people.

1  Thank Busialaconner

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Charming and great food! This is a very special small restaurant with a lovely atmosphere. I took my daughters and my granddaughter for a holiday lunch and it could not have been more perfect. Outside it was a rainy, blustery day but inside it was warm and cozy!!
My husband and I frequent Neil Thorn's for their terrific Happy Hour food selection too!
The owners are in the process of opening a much anticipated restaurant right on the channel. I can't wait for the opening cause I know it will be one of my favorite places in LaConner.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is a really quaint place and inside downstairs is like an English pub. Too bad a local has complained about the food cooking smells and it has to move location. The restaurant was most likely there before the house, as the restaurant I think dates back to the early 70's.
Hope your new location in La Conner is as quaint!
Food and service is great, the chicken wings are excellent.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We found this great restaurant by accident as we had wandered around town looking for an eatery with more than 2 people in it and just happened to find this one. It is off the main street by a block so you have to look for it. Superb oysters and a wonderful juicy burger and the service was superb. Always a cold beer at my elbow !!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

My friends and I, who love well prepared and beautifully presented dishes, were advised to try Nell Thorn's. So off we went on our first night in town....and on our second night. If there had been a third night in La Conner we would have returned again. A number of small plates on the menu - perfect for the smaller appetite. The duck confit is outstanding. So are the mussels, and the soups and salads. Nice selection of seafood and meats. Wait staff was professional and friendly, the dining area cozy and not too loud, and the presentation of the food was artful. Reservations highly recommended.

Been to Nell Thorn Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!