“Horrible Service - Worst Mothers Day Ever”
Review of La Conner Channel Grill - CLOSED

La Conner Channel Grill
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: At La Conner Channel Grill, every dish is created using only the freshest, finest ingredients. We serve only the choicest meats, fresh seafood and salads all prepared fresh and made to order. Our menu and attention to detail create a truly enjoyable dining experience.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible Service - Worst Mothers Day Ever”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Understaffed, Overpriced and Overcooked - However, the food was complementary because of the horrible service.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank mrhealey69

Burlington, Vermont
“Amazing Prime Rib and Great Wine List”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We ate here after going to the tulip town. Luckily we had reservations, because the place is small, and the food is excellent. I had the dungeness crab cocktail and seared ahi. My husband had the crab cocktail and prime rib, which had amazing flavor. The owner, Jo, waited on us and was sweet and attentive. The wine list was great, too, with many reasonable priced, but delicious selections.

Lynnwood, WA
“Good ideas, poor execution”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

After tooling around the street fair and tulip festival in Mt. Vernon for the day, we ended up in La Conner, and decided to get dinner here before heading back home. A quick check of Yelp and TripAdvisor led us to try the Channel Grill. Crowd-sourced review sites rarely let us down, and when in an unfamiliar neighborhood or town, we typically rely on them to narrow down our dining choices.

In this case, the reviews we read about the Channel Grill did not match our experience. We could have caught them on a bad night, but there were enough issues with our dinner that we couldn't ignore them all. Examples:

I ordered the pecan-baked salmon. It arrived in piping-hot ramekin, encrusted with a layer of chopped pecans, enough of them overcooked to call the dish burnt. Digging into the fish, the upper portions of the fish were great, but the bottom most layer was also a little overdone. Eating on, I got about halfway through the dish when I had a bite with a very strong mustard flavor. Remembering the description of the dish ("Baked in a Honey Dijon Butter Sauce Topped
with Pecans."), I realized that I was only now tasting the dijon sauce--it was absent for the first part of the fish, and very strong for the last half. I normally don't order salmon, but the dish's description led me to try it, along with the fact that we were in La Conner, an area with access to an abundance of fresh seafood. Prepared properly, it would have been an amazing dish, but as it was I could only call it a disappointment.

Our daughter ordered the cheesy mac and cheese--from the kid's menu, it was clear that this was supposed to be a house-made dish of M&C. What arrived at our table was an uninspiring dish of neon-orange noodles, unmistakably a product from Kraft or other boxed macaroni. We've eaten at plenty of places that serve kid's version of this dish, and with the right touch, a homemade mac and cheese can be heavenly. Not so here.

Service was another miss on our visit. Our server was cheerful and polite, and we were promptly seated, but the meal dragged on with longer-than-expected delays in delivering drinks, refilling my tea's hot water, and the getting the check. The place was mostly full throughout our visit, and there was only one other person helping to serve, so perhaps they were understaffed. I'm not cutting them much slack on this issue, however, as it was the weekend of the Mt. Vernon Street Fair in the middle of the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival, so expecting larger-than-normal crowds should have been a given, and staffing levels should have been adjusted accordingly.

I typically start my reviews with a baseline of four stars, and adjust up for a really great experience, and down if there are areas lacking. A full star down, given our experience, is probably generous. While I'm hoping that our visit was an anomaly, given the rarity with which we visit La Conner, and the presence of plenty of other well-reviewed restaurants, it is unlikely we will be back to the Channel Grill for the foreseeable future.

1 Thank dunadan
Payson, Arizona
“Ate Here Three Days In A Row!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were in town for the Skagit River Valley Tulip Festival and stayed at the Hotel across the street. My friends had eaten here before and highly recommended it, so we gave it another shot. We liked it so well, we ate here the next two nights too! It's very small (only nine tables, so it's safer to call for a reservation) but the atmosphere is great. Jo is the co-owner and hostess, and full of personality. All their food and desserts were outstanding, in fact, the steak and prime rib were some of the best I've had in a very long time. We missed it, but if you get the right table, at the right time, you can watch hummingbirds mating in the tree next to the restaurant! Will definitely return!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice to see the old "Mom and Pa"small town kind of place again..”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Nowdays its chain after chain, hired help of limited worth, and uneventful dining. Here he does the kitchen, and she does the waiting. I went on a Mon night so no hired help anywhere that night. Maybe never, I don't know. Right on the main street. Good choice.