“Flavorless pad khee mao, and angry service”
Review of Thumra Thai

Thumra Thai
Ranked #169 of 269 Restaurants in Kirkland
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Great Northwest
“Flavorless pad khee mao, and angry service”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was recommended to Thumra, and was surprisingly disappointed.
I ordered the Pad Khee Mao with noodles- one of my favorite Thai dishes, and one I've enjoyed in Thailand. It appeared not as the familiar brown color, but with white, unseasoned wide rice noodles. It was missing all the smoky flavor of pad khee mao, as well as very underseasoned. I asked for the Thai Spice Rack (usually a plate of salty and spicy condiments), but received soy sauce and siracha. I asked for fish sauce to give it some saltiness, but no avail. It was sad and awful.

I politely brought my dislike of the dish to the attention of the young female owner, hoping to be offered something else, but instead she snapped that "everyone likes this dish" and told me verbatim "if you don't like it, don't come back. That would be my pleasure." So there's that.

Avoid. There are many wonderful Thai restaurants in the area, please don't bother with this one.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank cool_jonez

Seattle, Washington
“We LOVE Thumra Thai!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

As a family, we love Thai food in general. Thumra Thai, however, stands out as one of our favorites. They're consistently tasty, fast, and comparably priced. We love all of their curries, especially red and yellow and their Thai iced tea is wonderful too. The owners are very sweet, gracious, and polite. This restaurant is tucked away and almost hidden in the "Value Village" shopping center off the 405 freeway. There also seems to be a loyal customer base and a lot of pick up/to-go business, but we've had pleasant experiences both in the restaurant and to-go.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank SheShootsPhotography
Bothell, Washington
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Looking forward to trying out Thumra since in was the highest rated Thai restuarant in Kirkland according to Google. Wow, was I disappointed.

First the good stuff. The service was great because I was the ONLY person eating in the restaurant at 1:00 in the afternoon on a Wednesday afternoon. Perhaps I just missed the lunch crowd.

The location is fairly central to downtown Kirkland and parking was easy. Prices were average for a Thai restaurant.

Now for the disappointments. The restaurant ambiance was tacky and the Thai music was too loud. The place was tiny and a Thai teenager was sitting in a nearby booth complaining loudly to the waitress about her school work and friends during my entire lunch.

I thought that perhaps the food might make up for the lack of ambiance. I was wrong. I ordered the Panang curry; a popular dish in Thailand and hard to get wrong. The beef was tough, the curry was watered down and lacked much in the way of complex flavors, and the dish was way too sweet. I'm so tired of Thai chefs claiming that the American palatte preferes a lot of sugar. My personal survey tells me that most people are looking for a balance of many flavors, not just sweet.

Not worth a second visit.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Buckingbison
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Phad See Ewe w/ Beef. Pretty good.”
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Phad See Ewe w/ Beef.
Pretty good.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great food. Great atmosphere.”
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Great food.
Great atmosphere.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Thumra Thai? Share your experiences!