“Just ok, there is better value out there!”

The Heathman Hotel Kirkland
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Kirkland
Chicago, Illinois
“Just ok, there is better value out there!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed recently for a weekend and the hotel and rooms are very nice. The location is very good with a decent selection of higher end restaurants within walking distance. It seemed to us that a lot of "stuck-up money hungry" people stay here and in this area. My wife and are in our 30s and earn a nice living but felt a bit uncomfortable at times in and around the hotel. To clarify, this is not because of the hotel staff, mainly the guests. I do feel the hotel is way overpriced for what you get. Or should I say, what you don't get. The parking situation is bad so you are almost forced to do valet and they ring you up for $13/day for that. The restaurant attached is very pricey as well. The room was nice and spacious but the bed wasn't the most comfortable. We've stayed in 4-5 star resorts/hotels throughout the world and would not rank this hotel up in that category. We would say this place is just ok and that is purely based on the fact it is so expensive. If they were to drop rates by about $75/night, we would say this property was very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Pelham, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here twice before and always enjoyed our stays. We never considered staying anywhere else when we needed to travel to kirkland, that is until now. We heard that the hotel recently underwent renovations due to extensive water damamge and it had been closed for several months while they made repairs. They reopened on August 3rd which was perfect timing for our Aug 22 arrival. It took multiple phone calls for me to finally make our reservations over the phone. The first time I was hung up on, then when I called back I was on hold for more that 8 minutes and when the receptionist came back on she said the computer was down and she would call me back when it was back up. Three days later, no phone call back, so I again called them, and was again put on hold for maybe 3 min this time, but I was able to make our reservation. It was a little annoying but I figured they were just getting this up and running again so they still had a few kinks to work out.
On our drive from the airport to the hotel (we had them pick us up from the airport) the driver informed us of all the renovations that had taken place and that the gym was still not open. I don't think he realized how much of a shock this was to my husband and I who were sooo looking forward to using the amazing gym they had and how important it was to us to be able to stick to our workout routine while on vacation. We unnecessarily packed plently of workout clothes :( Then at check in we asked the man about the gym and too said it was still closed but a slight chance it might be opened on the last few days of our stay (which didn't happen). He said they were referring guest to the 24 hour fitness up the street which charges $10 a day for a guest pass. Hmmm how is this a consolation, it's not. I don't understand how they expect us to pay an extra $140 to use a gym. No where on the website or while booking the hotel did they say the gym was still closed. The website still had the old pictures of the gym up! My husband and I are not ones to speak up or complain. I thought the guy would notice our dropped jaws and say we will give you vouchers for the gym, but that didn't happen. Plus the gym is not really close enough to walk to (if I was going to walk, to that gym, it would take me an extra 10 mins, so I might as well run since I am going to work out and if that's the case then why bother with going to that gym, I could just run outside. If I was going to drive, I would need to call the valet which is not really worth it either.
Okay so the pros were all really good and if you don't work out then you wouldn't notice. The room was spotless and the cleaning staff did an excellent job! The feather bed we requested was super comfortable and the bed linens were very high quality and soooo soft. The food at the restaurant was excellent (the cured salmon was a bit too salty for my liking though). The service was just a little bit slow which we wouldn't have noticed except we ate there so many times and so many times it was like hmmm shouldn't someone be here by now. The food was great! The bar does close early, like 11 on fri and sat and 10 on sundays. There are plently of other places to go to in Kirkland though.
The staff was very friendly and nice as always.
Next time we are planning a stay in Kirkland we are going to consider the Woodmark that is close by. We never considered staying anywhere but our last stay seemed like we paid A LOT to stay at a great place but it was only worth it to us if we could enjoy the ammenities.

Room Tip: Request a room that does not overlook the depressing parking lot in the back of the hotel! If you ar...
1 Thank LaceyNY
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at the Heathman in Kirkland prior to a cruise out of Seattle in early August. We found the staff to be very helpful and the hotel to be great. One thing for future bookings though. The hotel uses a central reservations service for all three hotels. In our case, they lost the reservation and when we arrived the hotel had never heard of us! The reservation was made over the phone and we were given a confirmation number which was not in their system. At reservation time, an e-mail was promised which never showed up. Advice for the future, be sure to get the e-mail confirmation. After some concern at check-in, the staff did a wonderful job of getting us into a room and even gave us a discount and comped breakfast (which was part of the package for we had made the reservation). Again, great hotel and staff so we'd very much recommend the Heathman in Kirkland.

Wa
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I received a free nights stay for this hotel last year during the brain cancer fundraiser walk. We have had to cancel many times due to my husbands health but was finally able to keep our reservation. We got here about noon on a Friday and was promptly greeted by the valet staff. He was very courteous and helped us get our bags inside. Front desk staff were unable to upgrade our room- oh well but we did get to check on early. Our room was amazing. Huge bath tub, comfy bed, small balcony that we could stand on to watch the traffic go by. The only negative I would say is that there isn't a fridge in the room and no complimentary breakfast. Granted we didn't pay for the stay but for $300 plus a night, you would think that would be included. If I ever had the chance to stay here again, I would do it in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2012
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Great hotel, great location, outstanding service. Only drawback is no pool. However they make it up with 2 complimentary tickets to the Argosy Cruise. The food at the restaurant is good as well. Enjoyed the 3 course for $33.

I will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife & I recently stayed a night at the Heathman in Kirkland - what a great hotel, staff & location. It's an upper end boutique style hotel with vault parking. We took advantage of the Argosy Cruise tickets available for hotel patrons for the Lake Washington tour ( the dock is within easy walking distance of the hotel ). The hotel is located near trendy shops with lots of restaurants and the lake shore with a nice park again all within easy walking distance from the hotel. We did not visit either the restaurant or bar in the hotel but they were busy on a very sunny late Friday afternoon.
If you are looking for a place for a special occasion, this would be a great choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maps3
CLT
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The food was great the room was great and the service was great.
An example of the service, we have to keep some meds for our little Boy refrigerated, they could have said just use the filled up Bar Fridge in the room, but no
they brought up an extra empty fridge to the room for us to use, never experienced that
effort before in a Hotel. Having lived in Kirkland before I found the Heathman was in a great spot for us to get around. Will stay with them again on my next visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkland
Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,154 reviews
Courtyard Seattle Kirkland
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Four Seasons Hotel Seattle

Been to The Heathman Hotel Kirkland? Share your experiences!