“Mediocre Indian food with bad decor and inept service”

Royal India - Kirkland
Ranked #50 of 273 Restaurants in Kirkland
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 98th Ave NE
Description: For over 10 years we’ve been satisfying Kirkland residents with superb Indian food, in a spacious, yet cozy environment, bringing the best Indian dishes, spices & spirits to enjoy. Our restaurants are family-friendly & we host many parties for personal as well as corporate gatherings. We also offer catering services for any special event in your home or office.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We tried the restaurant some 10 years ago and decided it was time to give it another try.
We go in, are seated, and then wait nearly 10 minutes for anyone to notice even though the place is not especially busy and 4 waitresses are over by the hostess stand.
The restaurant is cavernous with little or no atmosphere -- no booths, no candles on the tables, no anything to give us a sense of coziness.
Finally, a waitress comes over, is very nice and friendly and apologies for the delay explaining that the restaurant has just re-opened after a re-model. Re-model?
She takes our order, goes away and then, not 3 minutes later, another waitress comes by with menus apparently unaware that the first waitress had already taken our order.
There was more of the same throughout the evening. With waitresses with orders in hand looking confused as to where the orders went. Waitresses were, in any case, friendly and good-natured, so their lack of coordination was overlooked (and most just comical).
More problematic was the food itself which was mediocre in all respects -- little taste, little texture, little to appeal in the presentation.
It is a pity that ethnic restaurants in a place like Kirkland (and I'm think Mexican restaurants as well) seem to slide into a comfort zone where "ethnic" is enough. How about ethnic _and_ good?
it looks like we'll be waiting another 10 years before we go back again.

There are newer reviews for Royal India - Kirkland

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I'm writing this review to put some other reviews in perspective. I have been going to the Royal India for many years, 10 + and a fairly regular basis. I have eaten in high end Indian restaurants in London and in India so I think I have a good perspective. This is not a high end London Indian eatery, however it has very good food not that far away from the London restaurants, IMHO far above the average, and great personal friendly service. The proprieter imports his owns species and roast and or grinds them himself. I like the Chicken Mango dish, and the Butter chicken, Their own special Naan, my wife likes the Spinach dishes and lamb dishes. To be fair the interior isnt very high end, but has a nice ambience still.

As I said in the headline we have been going there for 10+ years and have never been disapointed, I would be surprised if anyone would be. It's a little local gem that we always come back to and look forward to.

2  Thank AndreasBerglund
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We have been dining at Royal India for several years and it's only getting better. The food used to be good, but now it is excellent! The owner told me that they use fresh ground spices and it really makes a difference. The service is very good and welcoming. They have these wonderful indoor tents that big groups can dine in - we haven't done this, but it would be very fun for a birthday or special group occasion.

1  Thank GazzaGirlSeattle
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This place looks odd from the outside, has one of the worst bars as its neighbors, but donät let that fool you.
Great food, nice staff, always tidy and an enjoyable experience. Go here several times a year just because it is hard to resist the wonderful smell of curry, permeating into the park across the road.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

This place was recommended to me by an Indian co-worker who eats there regularly. It is in a weird located next to a fish and chips place and the building it is in is also a bar. I have been making and eating Indian food for 20+ years and this place is indeed good, especially for Kirkland. The food is very tasty and they have a good variety of dishes. The desserts are also good.