“The Best restaurant in Juanita”
Review of Cafe Juanita

Cafe Juanita
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Juanita is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 274 Restaurants in Kirkland
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Holly Smith's resume is very impressive, including a James Beard award.

Nevertheless, it's a restaurant this is a restaurant we have been going to for since 2007.

The dining room is shockingly intimate, and the open kitchen where the one-time iron chef candidate was cooking furiously can be viewed from pretty much every seat, save for the downstairs area which I'm told is usually reserved for larger parties. And the food is outstanding, and extremely inventive. A truly unique bite not to be missed is the King Crab w/ green apple sorbetto along with crab butter powder. The savory and sweet and chilled flavors combined to make what was unquestionably one of the greatest dishes I've had in recent memory. The incredibly simple pear salad was also very elegant - thinly sliced pairs paired w/ pin nuts, freshly shaved parmigiano reggiano, and an incredibly fragrant white truffle vinaigrette. And of course the freshly made homemade pastas and entrees were also outstanding. We opted for the maltagliati with lamb and ricotta and the braised rabbit. The former was such a delicate dish despite its normally heavy ingredients, and the latter was coupled w/ a chickpea crepe that came w/ thinly cut strips of pancetta and porcinis that really blew me away.
Add housemade bread and crackers, an incredibly attentive wait-staff, and an extensive wine list (about 95% Italian), and I guess there's no surprise that this restaurant racks up the awards on an annual basis. If there's ever an excuse to go over the eastside, this is it.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

After talking about it for a number of years, my husband finally made reservations at Cafe Juanita for our anniversary/birthday dinner. It was worth the wait. The restaurant is cozy, elegant and open concept so you can see the magic hapening in the kitchen. I was surprised to see the chef, Holly Smith in the kitchen working on the line. I knew then it was going to be a special meal. We started with the prosseco and parmesan cheese appetizer, the grilled octopus with smoked bone marrow, the small portion of the maltagliati with pork sugo and finally for the main course the braised rabbit with gnocchi and the pork steak. I the meal was out of this world. I would have to say the highlight was the maltagliati in the pork sugo sauce. I would go back just to have that everytime. Service was impeccable and the whole staff really do understand how to make each guest feel welcomed. This is by no means a inexpensive place to eat but if you want to know how a 5 star restuarant feels, you have to go here. Well done!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Fabulous staff, friendly and professional, and very helpful expertise in their wines and menu...and simply the best rabbit I've EVER had!!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Amazing place. The food and service are both great. Its a bit pricey but its our special occasion restaurant.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I had their signature rabbit dish and it was quite tasty indeed. The heirloom tomato soup served room temperature, gazpacho style, was worthy of five stars in my book. My husband enjoyed his entree and the strawberry sorbet was fantastic. The waiter gave me a strange vibe though, hard to explain. The loud business table next to us unfortunately ruined the ambience and I had the only seat in the house that faced the road, so when night fell the headlights from cars were shining directly into my eyes. While the food was wonderful overall, it did not distinguish itself from other fine dining establishments I have been to and the prices were very steep. In retrospect I would have been happier going to Poppy in Capitol Hill when food, server attitude, ambience, and price are all taken into consideration.